GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Well my wife wants me to get a trailer for the bike but I dont want one.I like them but I like the idear of packing lite and not stopping at every lousy tourist trap store but I do like the idear of having extra storage.I do not have a trailer hitch and I never riden a bike with a trailer but I think a bike with a matching trailer is very eye catching.Any idears out there for me about the trailer like how much are they used and what it will cost to have a hitch put on the bike? I am a hard working blue collar man.I live in Boston MA and I park the bike on the street(I do not have a garage).

Mike from Boston

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Mike
Humor me for a while. At 50yrs plus you need more comfort
than that. My wife said the same thing, till we went to the Ft. Worth
motorcycle show. Know she want's this minnie motorhome that
carries the bike IN THE BACK. Go to ENDURAMAXRV.com The thing is small enough that she can drive it and big enough to take the grandkids. I am looking at it hard. The trailer is a lot cheaper. Hope I didn't start anything. :lol: :lol: Best of Luck Greg

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
When we got active with the local GWRRA Chapter I stated I never wanted a trailer. All the gals just raised their eyebrows and laughed. They predicted that when my wife saw how much easier life was with a trailer on a group trip we would soon have one. They were right. I count my blessings that my wife enjoys the bike. I do anything I can to assure that she keeps enjoying it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Without facilities to keep your Bike & Trailer parked inside, I would say don't do it.

If you have to park on the street, my guess would be, that you won't have it long, before someone needs it more than you do.

So here is the deal! Go buy a house out in the Burbs.........LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife also likes the trailer that houses the bike so that we can take trips as well.I have a place to keep the trailer while not in use but when we travel I sometimes have to turn around and with the trailer that will limit me some what.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Go for it. My SO likes to take along everything she MIGHT need and I let her. The trick is to fill it up before you leave home and then when she wants to shop, I just say ''But dear the trailer is full now and we don't have room." I just can"t believe all of the things they come up with to take along but thats ok, you know what they say "If mama's happy everybody is happy" and I am guilty of taking more than I need but thats a nice thing also.

As far as pulling one I don't really feel it back there much It's a little more weight pulling it and you have to start stopping a little earlier. If it is a panic stop the wing with the linked brakes really hauls it down fast with no problem.

If you are going to travel for any length of time I feel it is a neccesary thing to take with you. mine is a cyclemate 2000 LTD and I love it. I think I pd in the 2700 dollar range for it if I remember right. I have pulled one close to 100,000 miles with no problems and I won't leave home with out it.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Mine is like American Express, never leave home without it...

The convenience of the having it far outweighs the negatives, if there are any. Having a cooler with you in the Summer, extra tools ( never used) and flat repair stuff, siphon hose ( Sportsters) folding chairs just in the nose of the trailer, leaves a lot of room for luggage and other essentials....they're great.. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
trailer

I made a small trailer out of my scraps left over when I triked my 1800 I also used a lot of other parts that were laying around my house and some other stuff from a local scrap yard. I would post some pics but I can't seem to get it right so if you want to see it click on the www at the bottom of my post,some pics were when I first started. I used stainless steel on the trim on the trailer and trike. Any suggestions or comments. Thanks Larry

·
Registered
713 Posts
You might consider a Unigo. Just the right amount of extra space for me and my sweetie. No Garage? No Problem. It will wheel right in through your front door and you can store it in front of your couch. With the lid open, it will double as a coffee table :D :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Trailer

I did not have one for a year but all the guys that I went on long trips had one. I bought mine and had it painted to match my bike and leave it on all the time, however I do have a garage I can pull bike and trailer into. For long trips it is great, and if you buy a Bushtec you will be very satisfied. I cannot even tell the trailer is back there. LR

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Check em all -Tailwind, Bushtec seem to be the best ot me

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
bangladave said:
Have you considered a Pakit Rak? http://www.dixonymachine.com/Pakit%20Rak%20GL1800.htm More room to carry stuff without a trailer.
What he said....

We've had one for 2 years now. Americade (wouldn't have gotten home without it :oops: ) twice, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Memphis. It gives us enough room to carry what we need, such as jackets, rain gear, bike cover, and all the other stuff that lives in the bike for varying weather conditions, and bring clothes & toiletries.
You still need to travel light, but you don't need to travel deprived.

Advantages include:
easy on / easy off (30 seconds off, 60 seconds on for the blade, less to take the bag into your room)
weatherproof
no effect on bike handling. I keep checking my shadow to see if it's there. You just don't feel it
You don't have to figure out where to store a trailer
costs far less than a trailer
no learning curve or extra skillset needed
Dixon Y Machine is a wonderfull company to do business with.

Disadvantages:
Less capacity and weight carrying ability than a trailer.

If you feel you need a trailer after you get the Rak, you can resell it on the boards, or use it for short trips, and still get a trailer.

As you can tell, I like mine. If I were to do it again, I'd consider using a Bushtec hitch for a little more weight carrying capacity and strength. The attachment plate that comes with it is good for about 35# total, bag included. If fact, I might upgrade to a hitch this year. Another few pounds would be nice.

There are a number of threads on the Pak-it Rak, and Fred Harmon did a review a couple of years ago. Check them out..

Good luck, whatever you decide will work for you

Dave

·
Registered
872 Posts
Roadking522 said:
You might consider a Unigo. Just the right amount of extra space for me and my sweetie. No Garage? No Problem. It will wheel right in through your front door and you can store it in front of your couch. With the lid open, it will double as a coffee table :D :D
I agree, check out the Uni-Go. Not only is it very portable when not on the bike, but it will restrict your wife from buying too much. :D

And colour matched to the Wing, they look real sharp.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I thought I had a good reply to my wife when I said we didn't have room for any extra junk she wanted to purchase on the road then a fellow Winger's SO suggested she mail the stuff home as she buys it!!
So much for that excuse. I'd say get the biggest you can afford. A Harbor Freight trailer with a car top carrier attached is about the cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I haven't bought a trailer yet, but I've considered the Piggy-Backer as a way to get my feet wet without a big expense. Other than maybe the latches, I haven't really heard anything negative about them.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
laen said:
Check em all -Tailwind, Bushtec seem to be the best ot me
Laen and I agree and disagree :lol: . He chose Bushtec and I chose Tailwind. WE'RE BOTH QUITE HAPPY!
I pull mine 100% of the time now and I no longer ever think about it being back there.

If money is tight, look at Aluma. I looked over CJ's at CatsCade and was impressed. It seems to be a lot of trailer for the money and think it is the best inexpensive trailer IMO.

Andy

C

·
0 Posts
robw said:
So much for that excuse. I'd say get the biggest you can afford. A Harbor Freight trailer with a car top carrier attached is about the cheapest way to go.

Here is a picture of my modified (by al's motorcycles) Harbor freight trailer. With Sears cartop carrier

1 - 20 of 24 Posts