GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are not looking good for any August riding this year. Back on the 25th, I had the bump on the curb that broke my engine cases. The next day, I spoke with the service mgr of one of the largest Honda dealers in the cleveland area...(40 miles from home). The damage overall is pretty basic, both cases cracked and oil leaking out. We KNOW that at least we need the cases. A full eval must be made. One would think that the svc mgr would get the ball rolling.
They finally got sombody out to pick up the bike on the 30th. I made a visit to the shop at the end of the day friday the 5th and the bike was there, parked untouched.....nothing ordered, nothing done. Today, I just called and they said it was up on the rack. I will update on how well Ohio Motorcycle of oakwood hills ohio performs. OH yea, I was not happy to hear the this dealer knew of noone that has ever replaced the cases on a 07 gl1800. I fear my bike will never be the same. Warranty or not, tearing it down that far usually means that at some point in the future, I will have a problem related to this major repair. The engine comes out, the completly redone with some new and some old parts. I am not happy and will keep this board up to date with my service reports......maybe someday you will be taking your scooter to a dealer for repairs.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Speak to the store manager or owner about the lack of service. Let them know that it is just your impression, but that perception is reality for customers, and right now you are questioning your decision to take it to them. Also, if it is not an insurance job look into a full engine from eBay or a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I don't know but I can imagine how it all feels. I would just relax and keep in touch with the service manger to let him know your concerns. the last thing you want to do at this point is create any animosity. You want these guys to want to do a good job for you. Apparently you chose this dealer for a reason, so I would just relax and not create problems in the mind that do not not exist at this point. It will come out ok. Think positive. Things never move as fast as we think they should.

Now if you have no confidence in this dealer then that's another matter. JMO
Good luck to you.

Fred

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have to ask...

JetDoc,
Not sure if you had posted previously on this, so forgive me if you have. Can you elaborate on your 'bump on the curb'?

What happened that you would have cracked both engine cases? I just have to know the nature/circumstances behind this mishap!

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
See if they will let you get pictures.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a repaving of a road that they had ground downto the brick, also new sidewals and curb. Did not think I would hit but lack of conformity and me in the wrong spot at the right time caused me to "highside "on the new curb while piulling out onto the new road. Total submitted to insurance $6666.15. I was just now, (during typing) on the phone with GEICO.....he called and is sendin me a check for the full amount. GEICO has been great Claims adjuster Mike Olds Has went above and beyond.
Brian from Ohio Motorcyle says maybe done the week of the 22nd.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
te almost doubled

Just got an e-mail about my annual policy renewal.......lol it went from $278 to $491 because of this claim. I got right on the phone to verify, they said it was an at-fault claim and that my rate will increase. My response was....no it won't, at least with geico it won't...i'm shopping and have till 9/13 to get a new policy!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Just got an e-mail about my annual policy renewal.......lol it went from $278 to $491 because of this claim. I got right on the phone to verify, they said it was an at-fault claim and that my rate will increase. My response was....no it won't, at least with geico it won't...i'm shopping and have till 9/13 to get a new policy!
Sad to tell you, insurance companies have a central data base just like the credit bureau...............any other company would be aware of your claim and will also charge you a higher rate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Insurance claim

Make sure you have another policy in force before you drop GEICO. All the other insurance companies know or will know all about your claim with GEICO, so you may well expect to get a higher rate from other companies than you hope for. The insurance reps will do all they can to help you get the best deal possible.

Best regards. Been there and done all this.

:cool:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
You didn't ask for this recommendation and it is not my business but I would give very serious thought to trading the bike in on a new one to that dealer asap. Keep the insurance check and use it to make up the difference between new price and trade allowance.

The dealer can repair your damaged engine at in-house rates cheaper than the repair estimate submitted on your GW and can repair it at their convenience if it is their motorcycle.

In the meantime you can be riding and not hassling them about when will it be repaired or worrying what condition will it be in when you get it back. If you don't own it the ultimate quality of the engine rebuild they do will be their problem, not yours.

I agree with your earlier observation. The bike may never be the same unless that dealer has a highly trained and skilled engine tech.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You didn't ask for this recommendation and it is not my business but I would give very serious thought to trading the bike in on a new one to that dealer asap. Keep the insurance check and use it to make up the difference between new price and trade allowance.

The dealer can repair your damaged engine at in-house rates cheaper than the repair estimate submitted on your GW and can repair it at their convenience if it is their motorcycle.

In the meantime you can be riding and not hassling them about when will it be repaired or worrying what condition will it be in when you get it back. If you don't own it the ultimate quality of the engine rebuild they do will be their problem, not yours.

I agree with your earlier observation. The bike may never be the same unless that dealer has a highly trained and skilled engine tech.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Excellent point. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

I could not agree with you more on this one. While I do not see a problem simply because the mech has never split a GL1800 case before, a trade-in will get you on the road sooner, you will have a new/newer Wing, and any possible future problems are eliminated.

BTW, as the others said... The OP is stuck on the insurance increase. Just consider what the others have already said. Insurance companies are not in the charity business. It will be a while before the rates go back down. There was a have a substantial claim, you know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts