GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted afew weeks back that on my 06 wing the alternator shorted out , and burned up the wire harness. it was not even a month old. after three weeks its home. it happened while i was at sturgis. everything seems to be fine, but there is one thing that bothers me, now when i start it the lights are a little dim and then its like the alt kicks in and the lights get brighter. it takes about 30seconds after starting for this to happen. it also does this when the brake lights come on but the lights go back to bright after a couple of seconds. does anyone else have this happen or should i be worried that something else is wrong :?:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Fred or Stu posted information about the charging system. There is a delay after engine start before the alternator begins to charge. I have noticed it in mine by the LED voltage indicator. Sounds normal. Yes, with ABS, there is a large load on the system when brakes are applied.
Bob D.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello without ABS you can see the headlights dim a little!!! look at it from the rear when brakes are used.....LOST of light=lots of juice=slightly dim headlight...thats OK with me...chuck

·
Registered
153 Posts
My '06 does the same thing. I can watch my voltmeter and see when the alternator begins charging- usually about 15-30 seconds after starting the bike.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Have you tried asking for a free extended warrenty due to the problem you have incured?? Might offer a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
sounds normal,mine does the same thing, always did, so did my previous 2001

1 - 6 of 6 Posts