GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I like to to reminisce of past motorcycle trips and dream of future ones so we bought a map of north America 6 x 7 feet mounted it on Coroplast and framed it on the wall.
The idea was to put pins in it as we went but the problem was as soon as you stepped back the pins disappeared.
I came up with the idea of using 5mm pl9823 LEDs connected to a micro controller.
Due to distance between the map and the wall I had to build my own harness, that means 6 connections solders as close as possible to the LED all done under a magnifying glass.(almost enough to drive a man to drink. (Whitch is OK because now I can spin around in my chair and enjoy a nice whisky in the evening while I watch my map.)
The good news is the program is working well and effect is good.
The bad news is I only ordered 100 as this was kind of an experiment. I am now waiting for the other 200 to finish past years.
Lastly the missus is thoroughly disgusted with my case I built for the controller because its final location will in the pacific and its BLACK?! So I ordered some blue PLA to make a new one on my 3d printer.

I wish I could make a living building fun projects like this because, seriously, my knee won't take being a mechanic any more.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
That’s pretty neat but obviously a lot of effort. Since your handle says it all it is probably right your alley. That's a good winter project.

I used keep my road trip and a large map of the USA ...and I would use a magic marker in different colors to keep the identity. Then it got so many hard to keep up with all the trips.

Nice idea!

Donnie

Reactions: cycledude
1 - 3 of 3 Posts