GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our GL1800 had a wobble from the time I picked it up (new). After a few miles I checked tire pressure ("look for simple fixes first"), front was only about 24 psi. When fully inflated, I still had a wobble. I have lived with it for 55g miles.

When I read the class action law suit, I was very interested in the possible solution being tapered steering bearings.

Our local MI CHROME shop in Richmond, MI was having a special so I took our bike down late last week and had the bearings replaced ($165 total cost). Nothing else was done and the wobble is GONE! They have replaced about 7 sets recently and all but one totally eliminated the wobble. I'm impressed.

On my ride to Michigan Chrome, I tested my wobble. It probably would have crashed without putting my hands back on the grips between 40 and 50. It was noticable at 60 and even under 40, but not what I would call the tank slapper wobbel I would almost always get between 40 and 50.

With my new tapered bearings, my first test was getting up to 60 mph removing my hands and letting it decel to about 30. NO WOBBLE. Then, I set the cruise at 60, my hands off the handlebars, tapped the handlebar to see if I could get it to wobble. NONE. With the cruise set at 60 mph, I then would drop the cruise a little at a time until only going 30 mph, each time tapping the handlebars to see if I could get it to wobble. NONE AT ANY SPEED.

My wobble was eliminated by tapered wheel bearings and I consider the $165 well spent money. Thanks Beth, Bob & Jim for your Fall Special.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I found I got a wobble when by stock front began to cup at about 7000 mi. was not a bad wobble but it was there. I put on Bridgstone a g709 and the wobble is gone and the bike handles beautifully. I am goint to add the bearings any way because I don't want to mess with it in the future.

DJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
The price was right The tool cost $65.00 plus shipping. The bearings
do stop the wobble

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Johnny Boy,, I bought the tool for 35 bucks roughly but if a shop offered to do the work for 165 I woudl be all over it.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I had the wobble from mile 1 on my '05. Put in the tapered steering head bearings and it disappeared. Did not reappear when I replaced the stock tires with the E3's. I got a great deal on the bearing install. My dealer agreed that it shouldn't wobble, so I bought the bearings and he installed them for free. He said he'd do the whole thing under warranty, but would have had to replace with the same kind of bearings, so he did the install free. Can't complain there.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
MOPMan, Were you still able to steer the bike left and right without your hands on the bars (After the All Balls retrofit)?
Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've read comments about a wobble with the GL1800 but after 700 miles I haven't experienced any....thank goodness! Of course with any motorcycle if you take your hands off the bars and decelerate to a very slow speed you'll experience wobble at some point, at least I have on all the motorcycles I've had. Is this what you guys are talking about, or do you get a wobble while hands are on the bars and you're at cruising speed?

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
ALL BALL BEARINGS worked for me

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
laen said:
ALL BALL BEARINGS worked for me
Well then maybe you could answer my question 2 posts above yours.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wobble gone

'Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been deer hunting ('didn't get one, but had a great few days with two of my brothers).

nedro: Yes, I can still steer by leaning - didn't notice any difference, but logically there must be SOME difference. It has got to take more effort, doesn't it?? I don't pretend to understand WHY my situation is better, but it is.

bigmacbkr: The wobble I'm taling about was worst between 40 and 50 mph with my hands off the grips. I could feel the tendancy to wobble with my hands on the grips, but if I removed my hands from the grips it would begin to wobble almost immediately.
The difference I think I notice now is NO TENDANCY to wobble at any speed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I posted last week about my new Metzlers and having the wobble that was never there while I ran the stock Dunlops or the Bridestones. Replaced the front tire today and the wobble was sill there. Went to my friends and rode his 05 with the same Mets and found his wobbled also even tho he told me earlier there was none. Gonna check the stearing head bearings next. I never noticed the wobble for 25K tilll I put on the Metz

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I bought my '02 earlier this year, I heard about the wobble, but it wasn't noticable until I put Kury grips on my wing(had to take off the dampener weights on the end of the handlebars. I added stilettos, they helped, but the All Ball Bearings fixed the problem completely. They also give the steering a more solid feel on these Arkansas roads. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts