GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have been quiet about this accident and a lot of Board Members have wanted to put it on the Board but I always feel others are worse off than me so I asked them not to. On 11/29/06 it had been raining but was going up to 66 degrees so myself, Tigger and David M from the board decided to ride some curves and eat lunch in Chattanooga. We rode around Little River Canyon and I noticed my rear broke loose but I got it right back, I just attributed it to wet roads and wet leaves no big deal. As we turned onto Dougherty Gap Rd ( one of my favorite roads) I took the lead. Just before the switchbacks there are some gentle downhill curves. We were not going that fast because we were approaching the switchbacks. I remember my back wheel breaking loose and that is it. The rest comes from Tigger (John Deale), the bike started down then caught and flipped me over the front. I slide down the road face first with the bike catching me and then sliding over me starting me rolling. The bike went into a ditch I went on down the road and went in the ditch downhill from the bike. In the picture that is me they are working on past the bike. David M who was right behind me did an excellent job of not hitting me and managed to get around me and the bike, Tigger got to watch the whole thing as he stayed behind me ( I think I would rather hurt as to have watched it all). I was airlifted to a Trauma Center in Chattanooga. The damage to the bike totaled, to me a severe concussion, 2 skull fractures one starting at the left eye orbit, crushed lower sinus bones numerous facial fractures, torn artery in the temple, cracked disk in neck, 3 broken ribs, hole through and torn spleen, Left ankle and foot broken and crushed. The Doc got a laugh he said there was only 1 bone in my foot and ankle that was not broke and a lot of road rash. I was very lucky, Nurses passing by stopped, the Helicopter had blood on board and pushed it, 2 units in the helicopter 6 units at the ER. After I was released from Chattanooga I was at home for a week and got worse so they admitted me to Intensive care here for another week because my spleen was still bleeding, more new blood. Somehow Dicepilot (George) and Wingit (Jim) snuck into intensive care to see me. What Wingit said is the reason I am posting this and that is that someone else might learn from it. So now I will get on a soapbox. I have been riding on and off all my life. I loved my Gl1800, it was like a sport bike with luggage, I had it 5 months and had put 17,000 miles on it and had it just liked I wanted it. I was bad about running errands on it in shorts and a tee shirt. I wore a open faced helmet with safety sunglasses. On trips I would wear a Leather Jacket or my Tourmaster Intake jacket, I had FirstGear H2 pants and leather chaps. On this day I took the liner out of my Intake jacket and wore it, it was to warm for the overpants so I wore jeans. The Helmet had a visor, the visor was gone as was a lot of the gelcoat and the snaps were sanded down to the studs. The lesson here only Full Face or flip up locking chin bar helmets. It would not have stopped the concussion but probably saved the facial fractures and torn artery which caused me to almost bleed out in the ditch and helicopter. The Tourmaster Intake jacket did its job perfectly the ribs and spleen damage was from the bike sliding over me and no jacket will stop that. I had on leather gloves yet somehow had road rash all over my hands. The jeans came apart so more road rash on my legs. I had intended to get air mesh pants this spring, to late. It is a must to have all this on all of the time. This could have happened on the street in front of my home where I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt. If you do not have time to put on all the gear, take the truck! Ride with others, I don't know how many times I have run this route alone because everyone else was busy I even ran this road a month ago taking pictures by myself. As to the reason, no one knows for sure Dicepilots wreck and mine have similarities. We both had rear Metzlers, his 10,000 mine 11.000 miles the bike acted similar when they went down and both tires looked good except for one spot about 8 inch's long off the side of the center belt with wear bars showing which on damp pavement or a wet leaf would cause it to turn loose momentarily I do not want anyone to go through what I have gone through or put my Family and Friends through so I hope someone will learn something from this. I am sorry if this rambles, it has been done in pieces because I am still in and out of it. It will be another 6 weeks before I can try to walk so I will not be at Cats Cade or Rockies Gold but I will still be hanging around the board and we will see from there. I think Jim was right and I hope 1 person reads this and pays attention.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Towmoter said:
I have been quiet about this accident and a lot of Board Members have wanted to put it on the Board but I always feel others are worse off than me so I asked them not to. On 11/29/06 it had been raining but was going up to 66 degrees so myself, Tigger and David M from the board decided to ride some curves and eat lunch in Chattanooga. We rode around Little River Canyon and I noticed my rear broke loose but I got it right back, I just attributed it to wet roads and wet leaves no big deal. As we turned onto Dougherty Gap Rd ( one of my favorite roads) I took the lead. Just before the switchbacks there are some gentle downhill curves. We were not going that fast because we were approaching the switchbacks. I remember my back wheel breaking loose and that is it. The rest comes from Tigger (John Deale), the bike started down then caught and flipped me over the front. I slide down the road face first with the bike catching me and then sliding over me starting me rolling. The bike went into a ditch I went on down the road and went in the ditch downhill from the bike. In the picture that is me they are working on past the bike. David M who was right behind me did an excellent job of not hitting me and managed to get around me and the bike, Tigger got to watch the whole thing as he stayed behind me ( I think I would rather hurt as to have watched it all). I was airlifted to a Trauma Center in Chattanooga. The damage to the bike totaled, to me a severe concussion, 2 skull fractures one starting at the left eye orbit, crushed lower sinus bones numerous facial fractures, torn artery in the temple, cracked disk in neck, 3 broken ribs, hole through and torn spleen, Left ankle and foot broken and crushed. The Doc got a laugh he said there was only 1 bone in my foot and ankle that was not broke and a lot of road rash. I was very lucky, Nurses passing by stopped, the Helicopter had blood on board and pushed it, 2 units in the helicopter 6 units at the ER. After I was released from Chattanooga I was at home for a week and got worse so they admitted me to Intensive care here for another week because my spleen was still bleeding, more new blood. Somehow Dicepilot (George) and Wingit (Jim) snuck into intensive care to see me. What Wingit said is the reason I am posting this and that is that someone else might learn from it. So now I will get on a soapbox. I have been riding on and off all my life. I loved my Gl1800, it was like a sport bike with luggage, I had it 5 months and had put 17,000 miles on it and had it just liked I wanted it. I was bad about running errands on it in shorts and a tee shirt. I wore a open faced helmet with safety sunglasses. On trips I would wear a Leather Jacket or my Tourmaster Intake jacket, I had FirstGear H2 pants and leather chaps. On this day I took the liner out of my Intake jacket and wore it, it was to warm for the overpants so I wore jeans. The Helmet had a visor, the visor was gone as was a lot of the gelcoat and the snaps were sanded down to the studs. The lesson here only Full Face or flip up locking chin bar helmets. It would not have stopped the concussion but probably saved the facial fractures and torn artery which caused me to almost bleed out in the ditch and helicopter. The Tourmaster Intake jacket did its job perfectly the ribs and spleen damage was from the bike sliding over me and no jacket will stop that. I had on leather gloves yet somehow had road rash all over my hands. The jeans came apart so more road rash on my legs. I had intended to get air mesh pants this spring, to late. It is a must to have all this on all of the time. This could have happened on the street in front of my home where I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt. If you do not have time to put on all the gear, take the truck! Ride with others, I don't know how many times I have run this route alone because everyone else was busy I even ran this road a month ago taking pictures by myself. As to the reason, no one knows for sure Dicepilots wreck and mine have similarities. We both had rear Metzlers, his 10,000 mine 11.000 miles the bike acted similar when they went down and both tires looked good except for one spot about 8 inch's long off the side of the center belt with wear bars showing which on damp pavement or a wet leaf would cause it to turn loose momentarily I do not want anyone to go through what I have gone through or put my Family and Friends through so I hope someone will learn something from this. I am sorry if this rambles, it has been done in pieces because I am still in and out of it. It will be another 6 weeks before I can try to walk so I will not be at Cats Cade or Rockies Gold but I will still be hanging around the board and we will see from there. I think Jim was right and I hope 1 person reads this and pays attention.
Wow. Glad you're still around to talk about it. I've been there... just mind the docs and helpers and get better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share your story, we have all taken those short cuts on safety gear and your story may make someone think twice.

I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Joe

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You'll be back - I got off with a fracture when I had an accident a couple years back.
Take you time to heal and glad to see you typing and talking about it.

patrick

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Tow Motor,

Thank You Very Muvh!

Very Much!

Please keep us informed about your rehab.

Shoot me an email with your phone # , when you are ready to shoot the ****!

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Richard,
So sorry to hear about your accident. Thanks for sharing and bringing us up to date. It was a real pleasure to meet and talk with you in the RR parking lot prior to Hal's BBQ.
My best wishes for speedy and complete recovery. Keep your spirits up and I look forward to sharing another Corona or two with you sometime in the future.
C.J.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I too am sorry to hear about your accident. I am very glad there were other riders wtih you and that there were others there to help.

In your very appropriate discussion about safety, you did not mention ABS.

I totaled out my bautiful 01 bike by temporarily locking the wheels because I did not have ABS. Now I have ABS and have had 3 very severe incidents that could have been very bad if the wheels had locked.

I am wondering if you had ABS on your bike? Were you accelerating or decelerating when the back broke loose? I am sure someone will ask, and I am curious, what tires did you have on the bike.

I also had on gloves and had the palms taken out of my hands. I had on a half helmet and hit on my head hard enough to split my scalp. The helmet did not break, nor did it break my neck or damage my face. I was going 75 when I hit the tarmack.

When it rains, I grow long white feathers on the back of my neck. I am very chicken in the rain. I have seen some really bad accidents on wet roads, and hit a large diesel spill in the rain that caused multiple car wrecks behind me but I managed not to go down, although I did run a stop sign because there was no traction to stop. The 1800 also has very good horns which were tooting to the best of their ability as I went through the stop sign.

I look forward to your regaining your wheels, and hope that is your last acrobatic maneuver. Glad you are here to talk about it.

Thank you for the detailed report. They are always helpful, and if just one set of road rash is prevented, it will be worth your effort.

Tom :lol:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
May, that's a scary story for sure. Amazing how these things can happen in the blink of an eye. Sorry that in your case things ended up being very serious. I hope that you recover quickly and that our paths will cross under good, perhaps riding, circumstances in the future.

·
Registered
927 Posts
May GOD speed your recovery and let your words be heard far & wide.
Ken

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story in the way that you did....you did not preach or get on a soap box but rather,much, much more importantly gave us all something to think about.

Get well soon!

W

·
0 Posts
towmotor,

I'm glad your life was spared after your experience and thanks for taking time to relib those sad moments.

In sharing this you touch a lot of rides that from one time or another had close calls and were lucky to escape without serious harm.
I'm sure you agree we all learn from your mishap even though it's hard for you to relive those moments.

Thanks Again.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Wow some good reminders, what a tough break for you. Take her easy and get healed back up soon. Sorry for your trouble for what it's worth almost everybody gets their fair share of it. Glad your still around to write about it. Terry

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Richard, Thank You for sharing your story. You were not preaching just stating the hard cold facts. Things can happen in the blink of an eye. We hope you heal up real fast.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Towmotor,

Three elements are necessary in order for us to move forward with anything. They are To Know, To Care and To Act. You have accomplished all three with your post. You know what you experienced, you care about helping others to avoid or minimize the effects of a similiar accident and you have taken action in posting the message even though you are still hurting. Thank you.

Hopefully we can learn from you and will take your advice to heart. I suspect that there are very few of us who are 100% ATGATT even though we know better.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Gosh.. I am so sorry to read about your accident.. glad you are able to relate your story to us.. I always wear gloves & full face helmet.. but armoured jacket & pants will be my number 1 priority....

accidents happen in less than a blink of an eye.. safety gear should always be worn..

heal swiftly..

cosmic

·
Registered
149 Posts
de ja vu all over again.
Glad to hear you are still with us and here is hoping for a full recovery.

I am curious to know if you had added antifreeze recently or perhaps had a puncture in the reservoir? I think antifreeze along with wet roads, white lines and tar snakes were the equation that caused me to go down. I have added a long belly pan to my list of required riding accessories, along with even more caution when riding wet roads.

I agree 110% with your thoughts on the protective gear. It REALLY does work when we need it most.

Best of Luck in your healing!

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Thanks for sharing, and I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Those who have never had a motorcycle accident should take a lesson from those of us who have been down. Wear the proper gear or don't ride.

Full face helmet
jacket with armor
riding pants with armor
riding boots
gloves

If you can't put it all on, don't ride.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
thanks for telling us about your accident, reading about accidents on this board in the past has caused me to do a better job of properly gearing up for the ride, i am sure it will make a few other more serious about safety gear
hopefully u will b back in the saddle again soon

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Richard,
A very heartfelt thanks. It is stories like yours that help strengthen my resolve to not ride without proper gear. With that, you may have saved my life, so again thank you.

In the future I will have one quote of yours in my head:
If you do not have time to put on all the gear, take the truck!
I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Frank

1 - 20 of 82 Posts