GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased my 01GL1800A from the original owner some years back. It is a US model and I picked it up in Columbus OH. He was an electronic engineer and did a lot of mods himself. There has always been an issue when I remove the left front pocket and try to replace it. I have always had to fight for space with a large wiring harness. Today, since it is raining and I am working tonight, I decided to tackle the issue and upon taking everything apart I have found the harness photographed below inline between 2 factory connectors. It appears to have some sort of electrical filter. Does anyone know what it is for and if it is required?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like...

...a mercury switch to me. Does the blob in the middle move when you tip the tube either way? If so, that's a mercury switch and probably related to some kind of tip over circuit.:shrug:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blob in the middle is a capacitor and the connector is the C7 connector.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Blasting cap?:eek:4:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I can make a very good guess what the previous owner had done. It looks like he wanted to add an alarm or similar gizmo to the bike.
He did not want to cut the factory harness so he made an short harness extension with a mercury switch in the extension that would trip if the bike was taken off its side stand and stood up in the riding position :shrug:.
That type of mercury switch was common in home wall thermostats, car hood and car trunk light switches. The glass type mercury switches are now illegal but can be found at "Parts Express" encased in epoxy which are legal.
I have the epoxy encased type in my Wing trunk to automatically turn the trunk light on/off :thumbup:.
That is my guess and I am sticking to it :shock::nojoke:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It is not a mercury switch. The capacitor, or whatever it is called, is inside a plastic tube that is open at the ends. Following the attached wiring diagram, the involved wire is a ground wire running from the ECU ground to various ground points.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just a guess, but it could be to reduce noise or poping in the audio circuit. Can you tell, by the position in the connector, which particular wire it is attached to??

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm just a guesser.... you may want to p.m. one of the really smart electrical guys.... Larry M. or Fred.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jerry. That has got to be it. I will reinstal it according to the instructions.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
You beat me to it Jerry!

The component encased in the plastic sleeve is a metal oxide precision resistor. It is the component that recalibrates the temp gauge. That whole harness is supposed to be encased in electrical tape to protect it. I would re-wrap it.

The harness is not supposed to be laying under the pocket. It should be tucked up under the left air duct where it is out of the way.

You can remove the harness and just plug the two connectors together. The only side effect is that the temp gauge will indicate coolant temps that are higher than they actually are at the highest point on the gauge. Any bike that had the OH campaign performed on their bike had this bulletin performed as part of the settlement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts