GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got back from a long trip and wanted to change the oil.

I had only changed the oil once before on this bike.

I put a large allen wrench in the plug that sits (facing down) just behind the oil filter on the left side of the bike. Only 2 Tablespoons of oil drained out.

Then I noticed the real drain plug and proceeded to change the oil.

What is this allen plug for?????

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Allen plug

I MNTodd

Can you put a picture would help a lot, I'll go check on my Wing.

FlyBoy2121:thumbup:

I have just got back from a long trip and wanted to change the oil.

I had only changed the oil once before on this bike.

I put a large allen wrench in the plug that sits (facing down) just behind the oil filter on the left side of the bike. Only 2 Tablespoons of oil drained out.

Then I noticed the real drain plug and proceeded to change the oil.

What is this allen plug for?????

Thanks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's a plug covering a hole that's used somehow in assembly, and never intended to be removed.

Try not to lose it, or you'll have a lot of trouble finding the proper part number, it's a very standard Honda part, but not on the GL1800 fiche.

DAMHIK.

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Just like stated above, when machining the case, oil passages are drilled from the outside then capped. You removed a large oil passage cap. There are a total of 5 on our engs. It is best not to remove them. Also, you will see red lock-tight on the threads. You should clean the threads and lock light it back in. The service manul does not give a torque spec but 30 ft/lbs would work. Don't forget to check for leaks after.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would explain why it was so difficult to remove. That thing was super tight. Must have been the loctite on the threads making is hard to remove.

I will go get some red loctite and re-install with that.

I love this message board. Lots of good guys
on here able to answer questions.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Ummmmm, it might be red, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If you have dealt with red Locktight as we know it, you know it wouldn't turn loose without heat and a lot of cussin and pounding, or the very leaste a long cheater.

Lock it back in, but blue stuff and leave it alone will be plenty. What it is, has been answered so no need in that. There could be a need to remove it in the future, don't know why, but as soon as it is sealed really good it could happen, so don't make it impossible.

Best wishes.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

If you look at the inside end of that screw with a magnifying glass, it says "Congratulations! Now put this screw back where you found it and go read the manual."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts