GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you run nitrogen in your tires? I have been considering switching over. For those that do, do you notice any less loss of tire pressure? For anyone that also has TPMS, does the pressure change much during riding? TIA

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
I'm on a break at work right now, I'll post fully tonight. Summation is "marketing gimmick".

·
Registered
49 Posts
How many of you run nitrogen in your tires? I have been considering switching over. For those that do, do you notice any less loss of tire pressure? For anyone that also has TPMS, does the pressure change much during riding? TIA
Iran it for a number of years and decided it did not do anything for me.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
In Florida, I run approximately 78.084 % nitrogen in all my tires.
Same here. We must be getting air at the same place!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I run a special blend containing 78% N, 21% O and 1% Pläcebö*.

Pläcebö helps keep the air in the tires fresh**, thus reducing the effects of Rancid Air Syndrome***.

Ask your medical/mechanical care professional if Pläcebö is right for you.

* It's important that the Pläcebö the is organic, free-range dinosaur variety. "Designer" Placebo (aka "synthetic") is all hype - it just costs more.

** Pläcebö accomplishes this by allowing a very small amount of air to escape over a prolonged period. This allows you to "top off" the air without needing to "bleed" the air first - and without the need for frequent replacement of the trapezoidal crush washer.

*** Rancid Air Syndrome (RAS) is believed to be an un-diagnosed condition which emerging science has shown to aggravate ecclesiastical potty mouth, military industrial inferiority complex, and male pattern erectile dysfunctional personality disorder, and unoriginal sin.

----------------

"In 2006, Consumer Reports conducted a year-long study to determine how much air loss was experienced in tires filled with nitrogen versus those filled with air. The results showed that nitrogen did reduce pressure loss over time, but it was only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires. Among 31 pairs of tires, the average loss of air-filled tires was 3.5 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial setting. Nitrogen won the test, but not by a significant margin."

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ran it for a year and decided it did not do anything for me. the pressure increased when the tires got hot, and dropped when they cooled off. and I was very disappointed, I didn't see any advantage, I noticed that when the temperature dropped out side, the tires rode hard, as did others noticed also, so we let it out, and refilled about 4 times, to get it all out, upon filling with fresh air the tires rode much softer in cold weather.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Did you try the Persian variety?
I know a guy from Iran that used to live in Persia.

But I digress.........I want to use a gas that contains a healthy amount of oxygen and trace gasses.

gramps

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Never was a pure Nitrogen believer before but I am now.

Last year we were taking a big trip and one of my friends brought a Nitrogen tank over. I told him I wasn't sure it was even worth the trouble to let the air out and re-inflate with Nitrogen but I'd do it since he had brought the tank over. I figured that normal air is 78% so what could the replacing the remaining 22% do for me. Add in the fact that even when you take out the valve stem to swap it over, you aren't going to have 100% nitrogen and I didn't think it would make any difference at all. I was wrong.

Before Nitrogen, I'd lose about 2-3 PSI a month in pressure so I'd have to air up the tires once a month or so. I'd also notice my TPMS light coming on on very cold mornings and then going out after I rode a few miles.

With Nitrogen, I lose about 2 PSI every 3 months and my TPMS light never comes on because of a temp change.

Does it really matter? Probably not. Do I prefer Nitrogen now so I don't have to check pressures as often and don't have to worry about low pressure in the cold, absolutely.

PS...Different circumstance....but on my track bike (2005 Yamaha R1), I run at 32 PSI cold. If using regular compressed air, I have to remove air about 3 times during the day as I check it about every other session and it will build to about 35-36 PSI. If I didn't continue to let air out, my last session would be starting at over 40 PSI which is a pretty dramatic handling difference. If you use nitrogen, it barely changes all day long. Like I said...it's a different circumstance and I'm definitely pushing the tire more on the track but even on a wing you can expect your wing is changing 8-10 PSI from the morning when it's cold to the hot afternoon if you are running normal compressed air.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Running nitrogen in your tires is such a wast, you can't get all the air out of your tires so the nitrogen already starts out diluted so what's the point ? And if your on the road and the tire is a little low are you going to find a place that has nitrogen ? I think NOT so why bother if your up on your air pressure you will be just fine. :money1::money1::money1:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Same here. We must be getting air at the same place!

Sent from my iPhone
Most of us Ohio boys are apparantly going this route. I am about ready to change over to Summer air from Winter...

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Most of us Ohio boys are apparantly going this route. I am about ready to change over to Summer air from Winter...
Yeah, but it won't be tomorrow. Grrrrrrr.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yeah, but it won't be tomorrow. Grrrrrrr.

Sent from my iPhone
Don't I know it! We're scheduled in the 2-4 in. range. You may be getting some Lake Effect stuff up there, yes? I'm really sick of winter and I usually like it.

I did get my speed-bleeders and brake fluid changes done today. :thumbup: 78% N2 still in all tires, to keep from hijacking the thread.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Agree With Riverdawg

In Florida, I run approximately 78.084 %:roll: nitrogen in all my tires.
The 78% grade of N2 (nitrogen) is the most economical N2 to run in your tires. I've run it in all my tires also. Have been doing that for the last 63 or 64 years. Can't beat the price!!:lol:

Originally Posted by Micky Runey
Ditto. That's the same mixture I use here in Missouri.

Does it matter what shape (square or triangular) crush washer you use when you are using the N2 from Missouri?

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
bgross - love your post :thumbup:.. Okay, here's the post from long ago regarding the marketing hype.

It's a marketing campaign thing. Some marketing guru thought of a way to make their tire store standout from the competition. LIGHT BULB! We can say how bad regular air is and that we NITROGEN your tires to improve life, less leakage, and all the other things snake oil salesman use.

The military and major civil aviation use nitrogen to fill the tires on their aircraft. Must be great - right?!?

Well, here's the reason. Not that 100% N2 is better than 78% N2 (normal air), but because 100% N2 is also 0% moisture. You take a tire up to 30,000 + feet, any moisture is going to freeze. Now take that frozen chunk of icy tire and slam it onto a runway or flight deck at over a hundred mph. You get the picture.

Yes, there is some validity to the claims of moisture in shop air being bad for the tire, the oxygen and moisture will accelerate aging. Sort of like the cyclamate scare of the 70's. Got's to use an inordinate amount to make a difference. And yes, there is going to be some residual "air" in the tire unless the tire company fills and purges the tire several times - which ain't going to happen.

But big picture here fellas. Your tires sit out in the real world all the time, and the real world has (can we say it?? - Should we say it??) YES - the real world has air with oxygen, and there's even rain out there. Think the tire will fall apart from all that nasty stuff?? Nah, I didn't think so either.

Regarding N2 holding it's pressure longer than "regular" air - difference is negligible. Consumer Reports did a study in 2006-2007, after a year there was only a 1.3 psi difference between N2 and air. http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...nitrogen-.html

End result - never trust a guy in the advertising business. And NEVER pay for N2 inflation.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Like 2WheelNut, I "choose" to use N2 from our local car tire shop in all of my vehicles. It costs me a one-time $35 per vehicle, with any necessary top-offs for the life of the vehicle. A lot of local vendors so it this way- just gotta shop around - if one chooses to.

It's amazing how vehemently those opposed to a personal choice rail against something on this site; as vehemently as those who are for something on this site. Folks, there can be two right answers when it's something that comes down to a personal preference.

In this case, I choose to do it. If others feel it's a scam and choose not to, make your point and let others have their opinions too. Daggone, why all the beating each other over the heads for page on end when people make the OHMYGOD! mistake of disagreeing on a freaking choice around here?

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
... Daggone, why all the beating each other over the heads for page on end when people make the OHMYGOD! mistake of disagreeing on a freaking choice around here?
Because MY choice is the only RIGHT choice :twisted::tongue:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts