GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I get a nail in my rear tire on every trip we take. Got another one on the way home from Rockies Gold. I suspect it was in Tulsa but can't be sure.
This is number six in three years. Does anybody else have this kind of luck?
Appreciate any and all comments. :lol:
Norm

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The front tire pops it up and the rear tire catches it, I have a friend that mounted a part from a small broom in front of his rear tire to keep that kind of stuff out of the way. I saw somewhere where someone is selling a mudflap that mounts in front of the rear tire for that purpose.

·
Registered
571 Posts
2-nails since mid-June....put a 709 on the front
and suddenly I'm gettin nails in the rear tire..don't know if the
709 is throwing up nails or not....very happy to
have a runflat rear tire though.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Two nails at the same time about an inch apart that I plugged a couple of weeks ago! Nothin' a good rope plug couldn't fix!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Man, I hope that this don't jinx me but only one flat from hiway riding in last 15 years. I do carry a flat repair kit and pump on longer rides simply because I know that the first time that I leave it home will be the next time that I get a flat!

·
Registered
100 Posts
An old timer once told me to mount a mud flap ahead of the rear tire, to help kick the nail away, that was lifted buy the front tire. as I use to get nails in my rear tire's a lot. I mounted a 6" Wide 7" Long flap on the cross bar of the Center Stand, and have been lucky for a long time....[nock on wood] The rubber will adjust to the proper length all buy it self....:lol:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yep, got screwed in Tucson in June. phillips head screw that is.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
What part of the lane are you riding in?
Hmmmm? I'm guessing the part of the lane that had a nail in it.:yes1:

Surely you aren't suggesting that the left track is any better to ride in than the right track as far as picking up road debris.:shrug:
Never mind don't answer that!! :eek:4:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hmmmm? I'm guessing the part of the lane that had a nail in it.:yes1:

Surely you aren't suggesting that the left track is any better to ride in than the right track as far as picking up road debris.:shrug:
Never mind don't answer that!! :eek:4:
Why yes I would since the camber of the road would cause anything thrown up by car tires to travel in the direction of the shoulder. At least that is my story and i am sticking to it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I know we are on borrowed time but we haven't had a flat since 1981 (maybe 82, can't remember) yes it was a rear tire then too. We usually ride 8-10K mile a year too, but I guarantee that this is the only thing we are lucky at (our van has a tire that has been repaired right now).

We still carry some tire ropes, a can of slime, and some compressed air (the type used for paint ball) with an inflator. I was also talked into a wheel and tire waranty and we have two different towing services. Overkill?

I'm wondering how many of you would keep a tire with a nail in the middle (after pulling out the nail, removing the tire, and plugging the proper way) or do you just replace?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I started riding in 1966 and have never had a flat. Just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have had many flats over the years, but not so many once I started using tubeless tires. I suspect that the area one rides in has much to do with the frequency of flat tires due to nails, screws, and other road debris. I have had more flats in Florida recently than anywhere else. They don't cover their loads, they drive around with old demolition lumber bouncing around in their overloaded trucks, and if something falls out, it just makes unloading the truck that much faster. The edges of the traveled areas at intersections have more hardware than Lowe's or Home Depot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nails

We rode a part of old RT 66 with Ride for the Relay group on the way to RG. While at Joplin MO we toured the storm damaged area. I was concerned and checked the tires the next am, nothing. I also checked the tires the night before our last day at Woodward OK and found nothing.

Sooooooo, I got it on the last 453 miles of our trip.
Guess I'll ride it to get the tire replaced (have wheel and tire insurance).

The nail is small, a little to the right of center, and the head is recessed in the tread about 1/16". Holding pressure (several days) so I may not plug and just ride at reduced speed the 120 miles to dealer.
Or, maybe be on the safe side and plug it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I seem to get a nail about every 5 years or so. It goes with the territory.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Where you stop.

I see groups of riders pulled over under bridges, on top of bridges, in other areas where debris collects and that's where nails are picked up. Next time stopping on the shoulder, take a close look at the junk you are parked in .

·
Registered
545 Posts
try ride-on... it can be your friend :cool:

small nails in the tread will never slow you down

·
Banned
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts