GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Looks a bit like a P-51 Mustang canopy,,,so thats my guess :D Nice Wing though 8)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks like a P51 Mustang and an F4U Corsair. :eek:w1:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
warbird, not enough info in the photo to make an opinion.

the navy plane is very likely a corsair, however we can determine if its a chance vaught or a good year by the wing tips, and further length of the engine would determine if its a fg2 with the 4 row corn cob engine.

i dont know of any other navy plane that has the wings fold up so high, so its a corsair of some type.

the one in the front doesnt give any hints as to type, also too little info. i can tell its not a dauntuss--since thats a dive bomber, and none are flyable anymore, only a few in museums as static displays. also not a maurader since thats a martin heavy bomber, and also none are still flyable since the confererates example went down a few years ago. that one was named iwth my daughters name--carolyn.

i enjoy a challenge, but i do need just a bit more info. how about you send some challenges along with a little more info. whem we go to a air museum, my wife gets the talking encyclopedia version of the tour. she will stand up by the info plate and try to fool me, like thats gonna happen.

loren fellow war bird lover

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Planes

p51 and cosair.
If that is what they are I believe the corsair is one of 3 flying in th world.
Odegaard from Kindred ND has a fully restored corsair and I have heard there are 3 but do not know where the other is.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are good.
There was very little info to work on and yet several came thru.
Yes it is a P51D in the foreground.
It is Glamorous Glen III owned by Jack Roush of NASCAR. He owns several race teams and is in town for Race Week.
We put Glamorous Glen togeather for Jack and finished it last August.
He owns another called Old Crow.
Last fall he had Cuck Yeagar and Bud Anderson fly them together as they did in the war.
The other one is the only flying F4U-5 in the world.
There are others flying but this is the only -5.
We recently finished a 6 year restoration of it.
That was the second time as after the first 8 year restoration the pilot ran out of fuel and crashed in the ocean.
Anyone interested can get more info at
www.AmericanAeroServices.com
As many of you know there are also many more photos at another of my sites
www.WarBirdBob.com
WarBirdBob was at Rack Week and the Daytona 500.
a link to that is here
http://www.warbirdbob.com/RaceWeek.htm
All are welcome to drop by the hangar and lookaround anytime.
Just as for Tom :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Bob, I am truely envious, not because of the NASCAR tie, but because of the chance to work on those beautiful birds. Those airplanes played a huge part in the fact that our nation exists today. What a honor to be able to preserve our history. If I had a chance, at my advanced (relatively speaking) age to work in that career, I'd be there next week. I don't know how one would get any experience working on a 60 year old airplane, but WOW! what a job!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I'm truley blessed!!!!
It is a great honor to work at keeping these great birds in the air!!
It is a skill that has developed over 30 + years of working in the north (northern Ontario) on fly in fisherman aircraft and many others.
So many times I had to do the impossile with nothing.
That is what it takes here.
The part is not available, no one can make it and you have to find a way.
A challange that I love.
The thrill of seeing a 6 year project take to the air and go on to win the Grand champion and Golden wrench award at the WarBird Shows is amazing.
To hear Jack Roush say "I'm way beyond very happy".
To see the only remaining F4U-5 in the world take to the air one more time.
It all is so great and almost as great as taking control of my wing each and every day here in Florida regadless of the weather.
TR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.