GL1800Riders Forums banner

Narrowed Oil down to two, but questions...

4K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  Toyo 
#1 ·
I have decided I think...to use synthetic oil in my wing....at least give it a go. I'm torn between the Mobil 1 RaceT4 (10-40) and the Shell Rotella 15-40 (or whatever it is) at half the price. I don't want to order oil over the internet....I want to go to Walmart and get it quick and easy.

So I guess the real question for me is, is the Rotella very good oil maybe just as good as the Mobil.....which i feel is top notch but again twice the price. I know lots of you guys use Rotella and Mobil, and I thought you might share your thoughts on why you choose one over the other.

Don't get me wrong I am no cheap skate.....I just don't want to waste money on oil if I don't need to. thank you I know in the big picture it's all cheap insurance, but again we're talking half the price.....does that equate to half the quality?

I know Toyo and maybe others have done tests on used oils from different manufacturers, and I'd like to hear results form those if possible, especially if these two brands are included.
Thanks

#2 ·
I used the Rotella T 5W-40 (blue jug) and it worked just fine. The bike really turns over quickly when it's cold with that oil.
I've got Royal Purple in there right now and the fuel economy isn't as good.
I'll be going back to Rotella.
I used Mobil1 and first gear always clunked after about 1600 miles; I didn't like that too much.

#3 ·
I know that Shell is a good product, and Mobil is a good product. Just trying to understand why one is twice the price? Is it the name, or hype associated with being the first syn oil manufacturer....I think that's correct? Can you see any advantages with Mobil.....apparently you see disadvantages in your case!

#6 ·
Easy there big fella! No takers on a loaner yet I see?

Once again I don't mind spending more money really if it's worth it.....and I know that's subjective. But if the Rotella is a good oil( and a true synthetic) and half the price, I'm liking that! Plus I like the Walmart part. I suspect there must be something significant that I'm missing.....maybe it is the "not true synthetic" thing as mentioned above?

#7 ·
The Rotella is a group 3 ultra-refined dino.
Mobil1 used to be a true syn; not sure anymore. I've heard that they use both types of base stock but I don't know for sure.

I'd still call Amsoil the best. I'd call Redline second.
Tied for third I'd stack Mobil1, Royal Purple, Torco, Rotella T, and a few other "also-rans" including Chevron pure dino.
I've had bad results from Valvolene, Castrol, Spectro, and Motul m/c-specific products and wouldn't use them again.

#9 ·
I found this??????

Shell ROTELLA® T Synthetic 5W-40
Shell ROTELLA® T Synthetic is a fully synthetic heavy-duty diesel and gasoline engine oil developed especially to meet the requirements of North American driving. The exclusive Shell formulation offers users exceptional performance and protection in combination with enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional 15W-40 motor oils. This synthetic multigrade engine oil meets the service requirements of virtually all four-stroke cycle diesel and gasoline engine manufacturers.

#10 ·

Bill, why do you say that? Is it from experience, tests results you've seen/read, other peoples experiences from various conversations, or
D: all the above?

#11 ·
Two things to consider before deciding which oil to use:

1: many miles do you expect to put on the bike before trading??? 100K? 500K?? If only 100K, then the cheapest no-name oil you can find will work just as good as any.

If you expect to put 300K miles or so before trading, then you might consider most any syn oil - or good dino oil depending on miles between changes.

2: How many miles between oil changes. 3K? Wasting money. 5K- most any good syn or dino oil. 10K between changes? Then a good syn would be recommended.

Of couse, if it's just the "feel good" aspect of which oil to use, then buy the most expensive syn you can get.

Ken H.

#12 ·
For one thing; its much a do about nothing. You won't go wrong either way. I have not used the exact oil you mention form Mobil, but I have used teh 15/50 red cap of old and the 5/40 Mobil-Delvac 1, as well as Shell Rotella. No problems at all. The shell costs less because they have decided they can make more money by selling more product at a lower profit margin. I am going to try AMSOIL and will be ready to do so in about another 6,000 miles.

prs

ps: Go ahead and loan your bike to DD, be a sport!

prs

#13 ·
steve s said:

Bill, why do you say that? Is it from experience, tests results you've seen/read, other peoples experiences from various conversations, or
D: all the above?
I managed a taxi company for 10 years and an ambulance company for 2 before it. I've had my own little experiments and could run 400,000 mile tests on cars.
It translates to my 500,000 miles on bikes.

#15 ·
Why do people get so wound up over oil? As long as it meets specs and you change it at recommended intervals, don't worry about it. No need to pay double for any particular brand. It should be the least of things to worry about.

#16 ·
First off check out this web site for all you want to know about oils. www.bobistheoilguy.com Alot of information on it.

Steve, You are not going to go wrong with any of the oils you are speaking of. They all far exceed what the 1800 will ever need. If you thinking about the Rotella, I would also heavily look at Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic. It is 100% synthetic. A very strong oil to say the least. I have read many reports with Rotella, Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac. Chevron consistantly comes out on top for shear stability, etc.

#17 ·
For my first oil change, I was undecided between Mobile 1 MX4T and Rotella T. I guess I preferred to go with Rotella since it has so many positive comments here. The manual says the oil must meet spec SG. Mobil 1 MX4T said that it did, Rotella was silent (on the bottle) about SG. So I went with Mobile and the SG spec but found it odd that Rotella did not say it met that spec.

Mobile 1 was twice the price of the Rotella T.

Ed
'06 ABS

#18 ·
Steve i don't think Mobil one is twice the price, at walmart its about $27 for the 5 quart container so about $5.40 per quart

Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic is about $15 for the blue one gallon jug so about $3.75 per quart, double that price would be about $7.50 per quart

Amsoil,Mobil one and Shell Rotella synthetic are all hi quality synthetic oils that are made from highly refining good old dinasors, use whatever u like, despite what lots of folks believe NO oil brand will make your engine last significantly longer, just keep in mind years and years of oil company advertising has brainwashed lots of consumers

#21 ·
03CANDYORANGEWING said:
I have always run the Honda oil. I figure I bought the extended warranty and I'm not going to give Honda the chance to tell me it was the oil I was running that messed the engine up.
You got a point there. I'lllookinto that more before I use the syn. I am with most of you guys.....I don't think it matters a lot wht you use synor dino, as long as you change it regular, and it's good quality oil, and filter!
If I do go to syn. I'll probably use the Rotella cause it's inexpensive and convenient, and good enough for most of you damn picky wingers! :shock:

Thanks for the info gents.....woooohooo, let's ride!

#22 ·
silverado said:
Why do Honda dealers adise not to use synthetic oil in the GL1800? H ementioned someithing about an additive they do not htink is good for the bike.
SOME oils have "MOLY" that is NOT good (as in VERY BAD) for clutch's..stay from "ENERGY CONSERVING" oils..................ok someone give the link for the magna mognsen OR whatever it is act!!!....chuck,,ps I use rotella & am happy with it...I would NOT put syn.oil untill 8000 miles.. that will start some SH&^%#

#23 ·
Steve s,

Here is my experience with the different synthetic oils:

Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil. It was good but the shifting issues I had w the 1800 came back agter 1500 or so miles.

Golden Spectro Full synthetic Motorcycle 20/50 and 10/40. I really like golden Spectro shifting issues came back after 3000 miles.

Amzoil 10/40 Motorcycle oil. Hands down the best oil I have ever experienced. I have 2500 miles on this oil change and to date the shifting feels better than ever.

Castrol syntec, very good it's in my Warrior now (haven't tried it in the Wing yet most likely will not seeing I bought a case of Amzoil)

Shell Rotilla, Used it in my Warrior it's good but like I said I bought Amzoil.

(I am not an AMZOIL sales person and am NOT being compensated for my opinion)

FF

#25 ·
Mobil 1 ???????

I read where a number of you mention using Mobil 1. However, you do not specify which Mobil 1 you are using. Is it the fully syn MX4T 10-40 for motorcycles, or something else??? I just got to know. :roll: :?

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.