GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate electrical problems.
Rode 'Wing home from work yesterday. Turned key and hit starter. No power, no lights, no clicking starter, no nuttin'. No power when turned to ACCY either.
Charged battery o/nite--getting about 12.3-12.5 out of it. Ok, so need a new one but it should still crank. Moved bike. Turned key--lights, power. Hit starter button. No power, no click, no lights. Hosed down starter button insides with WD40. No power, no power on accy, no click. Battery about the same. Waited a few mintues--turned key, power. Turned key off and then back on. No power.
Have yet to check relays near battery, but I'm thinking I either have a starter problem or short/bad ground somewhere.

Anyone else met this gremlin/have some advice? About to dive into "won't start" threads to see what to check/pull in what order.

Thanks!

Todd

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Typical of "sudden battery death". I've seen it many times on my own bikes, and not just Wings.

The battery will take a surface charge and show 12 volts or more, but the second any load is added, it drops to nearly nothing.

You should check the battery connections, but a load test will tell you if the battery is toast.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,589 Posts
Kill switch. Battery connections and then have battery load tested...maybe a shorted cell when loaded.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I hate electrical problems.
Rode 'Wing home from work yesterday. Turned key and hit starter. No power, no lights, no clicking starter, no nuttin'. No power when turned to ACCY either.
Charged battery o/nite--getting about 12.3-12.5 out of it. Ok, so need a new one but it should still crank. Moved bike. Turned key--lights, power. Hit starter button. No power, no click, no lights. Hosed down starter button insides with WD40. No power, no power on accy, no click. Battery about the same. Waited a few mintues--turned key, power.
Todd, do I understand you correctly here, you had power this one time???

If so did it turn over?

If so fast as normal or labored???

Turned key off and then back on. No power.
Have yet to check relays near battery, but I'm thinking I either have a starter problem or short/bad ground somewhere.

Anyone else met this gremlin/have some advice? About to dive into "won't start" threads to see what to check/pull in what order.

Thanks!

Todd
How old is the bike and has it ever had a new battery before???

Has the top been off lately??

Maybe a loose connection somewhere up top???

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Check your fuses. Make sure the battery terminals are tight. You may have a bad ignition switch too. Run some cleaner through that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, folks.
Tonite it's swap battery out of the 'Valk and into the 'Wing to see if that makes a difference
Check fuses
Check battery terminals
Check relays near battery

For those asking, the battery appears to be original to this 05 Wing. After charging the battery I can turn the key and get a flash of power--as in neutral indicator comes on for a second then all goes dead or all power comes on for a few seconds, hit starter then all goes dead. Actually did hear the starter click one time before it all went out when I checked over lunch.

I'm thinking that I probably need a new battery anyway, given its age. Battery bug might not be a bad investment either. Am at least happy that the bike died at home.

Update to follow.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And here's the update, with a nod :bow: to the SBD (sudden battery death) folks.

After about 18 hours on the charger, turned key, got power, fired up just fine. Fired up fine again. And a third time. Hooked charger back up and it takes about 30 minutes before the charger is blinking its "90% charged" light.

New battery ordered.

Looks like I'll be riding the 'Valk this weekend. Now I remember why I have two motorcycles.:yes1:

Thanks again,

Todd

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
And here's the update, with a nod :bow: to the SBD (sudden battery death) folks.

After about 18 hours on the charger, turned key, got power, fired up just fine. Fired up fine again. And a third time. Hooked charger back up and it takes about 30 minutes before the charger is blinking its "90% charged" light.

New battery ordered.

Looks like I'll be riding the 'Valk this weekend. Now I remember why I have two motorcycles.:yes1:

Thanks again,

Todd

Cheaper to have two batteries.;) But where is the fun in that, right?!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Check your fuses. Make sure the battery terminals are tight. You may have a bad ignition switch too. Run some cleaner through that.

Nice pic waldo! Have one for 06-up?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed new battery. Cleaned contacts while I was at it. Rode 75 miles of curvy SE Ohio roads (had to test it, didn't I?). All is good.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Installed new battery. Cleaned contacts while I was at it. Rode 75 miles of curvy SE Ohio roads (had to test it, didn't I?). All is good.
Todd,

I'm glad you got her running good again and I sure hope you got a chance to do 555 down to the river wile you were out??? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Just for future reference, measuring the static no load voltage on a battery can sometimes tell you if it is bad, but it can't tell you if the battery is good.

You could have saved a lot of steps and verified the problem quickly and easily by monitoring the voltage while you turned the ignition on. You would have seen that the battery voltage took a dump the moment it saw any kind of load.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Larry, good to know if I ever have the same kind of symptoms in this bike or another.
Would assume it's as simple at hook up the multimeter and keep one eye on it while I turn the switch/hit the ignition?

Thanks,

Todd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts