Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a set yet?

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have had mine setting in the box in the garage for a couple of weeks. The bike was stored for the winter in such a manner that I can't get to the left side without a lot of trouble. I MIGHT be getting it out of storage this Friday and will mount the comfort bars sometime next week. I will try to remember to update you on what I like and don't like once mounted. I saw them on a display GW Tour at the Chicago MC show and liked them enough to order them.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had mine setting in the box in the garage for a couple of weeks. The bike was stored for the winter in such a manner that I can't get to the left side without a lot of trouble. I MIGHT be getting it out of storage this Friday and will mount the comfort bars sometime next week. I will try to remember to update you on what I like and don't like once mounted. I saw them on a display GW Tour at the Chicago MC show and liked them enough to order them.
Which way are you going with highway pegs? Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
72 Posts
After riding one season (19,000 miles) with Rivco pegs, I have the Comfort bars on order along with the pegs and extensions that were purchased from "Wingstuff". The Rivco's while stylish were not comfortable enough for me. The actual peg was too small and quite slippery leaving the foot to want to slide outward and off. To get your foot to ride squarely on the peg requires canting your foot inward as your ankle gets pushed outward by the part that the actual peg folds into when closed. It became too fatiguing to maintain that position while in the saddle for eight or nine hours a day.

New equipment is due here by Saturday and weather permitting they'll get tested on Sunday. Will follow up once tested.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Agree

After riding one season (19,000 miles) with Rivco pegs, I have the Comfort bars on order along with the pegs and extensions that were purchased from "Wingstuff". The Rivco's while stylish were not comfortable enough for me. The actual peg was too small and quite slippery leaving the foot to want to slide outward and off. To get your foot to ride squarely on the peg requires canting your foot inward as your ankle gets pushed outward by the part that the actual peg folds into when closed. It became too fatiguing to maintain that position while in the saddle for eight or nine hours a day.

New equipment is due here by Saturday and weather permitting they'll get tested on Sunday. Will follow up once tested.
@Tomcatdriver I concur with you on the Rivco-I really tried to like them they do fit into the style of the new GL1833 with the exception of partial covering the HONDA engine logo-yukk. Being I have short legs was another issue had to drill another adjustment hole to get the pegs more rearward. I'm not really impressed with the design of the Comfort bars per se, I'll wait until I see one in person and draw my own personal conclusion then decide if I'll try em. Looking forward to more reviews and pics-video's of them as time goes on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I differ from the GW riders who seem to be concerned with style as opposed to comfort. Ergonomics differ with each rider. I'll do whatever I have to to achieve a seating position that will allow me to stay in the saddle comfortably for nine to ten hours per day. While the comfort bars might not be the most stylish looking device, I betting that they will offer what their name implies ... comfort. Sunday will tell.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my current set up for highway pegs while very good I'd like them to be a little higher, I could flip the quick clamps the other way but that would mean cutting into the plastic which I don't want to do so I'll see what the reports are. One concern I have with the comfort bars is the reach may be too far forward for my liking.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
I differ from the GW riders who seem to be concerned with style as opposed to comfort. Ergonomics differ with each rider. I'll do whatever I have to to achieve a seating position that will allow me to stay in the saddle comfortably for nine to ten hours per day. While the comfort bars might not be the most stylish looking device, I betting that they will offer what their name implies ... comfort. Sunday will tell.

For me the Rivcos work. But choices is what it is all about

·
Registered
72 Posts
bob2002,

I believe that you will be able to use the "peg mounts" and the pegs but not the longhorn bar. Then all you should have to do is purchase the comfort bars and the footrest adjustable mounts to provide a 360 degree rotation for just about any position. Have a look at the comfort bars on the Wingstuff site. In the photos area is a good picture that shows all the possible positions you can get them into.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bob2002,

I believe that you will be able to use the "peg mounts" and the pegs but not the longhorn bar. Then all you should have to do is purchase the comfort bars and the footrest adjustable mounts to provide a 360 degree rotation for just about any position. Have a look at the comfort bars on the Wingstuff site. In the photos area is a good picture that shows all the possible positions you can get them into.
The website info claims you can use a 1" type quick clamp if you don't use their mounting point so the Longhorn's should work.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This is my current set up for highway pegs while very good I'd like them to be a little higher, I could flip the quick clamps the other way but that would mean cutting into the plastic which I don't want to do so I'll see what the reports are. One concern I have with the comfort bars is the reach may be too far forward for my liking.
bob2002, thanks for the photos! I have ordered these ones from Kuryakyn:
Kuryakyn Offset Highway ISO-Pegs Dually with 1in. Clamps - #7976

I had these on my ‘02 GL1800 & loved them! For $180 CDN + free shipping (www.FortNine.ca) they are a great hwy peg for a great price! A simple install, too! :grin2:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plan to use these foot pegs along with the longer extensions I got with the Comfort Bars.
Do the extensions have any kind of anti slip groves cut into them?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do the extensions have any kind of anti slip groves cut into them?

Just finished the install and they do not. I'll be adding two tooth lock washers to each side. They are fairly secure as is and very comfortable the way I have them set.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Chrome Bolts

Just finished the install and they do not. I'll be adding two tooth lock washers to each side. They are fairly secure as is and very comfortable the way I have them set.
I have my black comfort bars ready to mount along with the extra black 76MM extensions and black Kuryakyn foot pegs. My questions is why are the bolts that connect the extensions to the comfort bar chrome instead of black?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They look very good, how far out from the valve cover to the end of the foot peg?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The way that I have them adjusted they extend out 8.25". Added the tooth lock washers to either side of the extensions and you can stand on them. They are super comfortable.:grin2:
That is about a 1/2" wider then my setup it should be great for long rides.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts