GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Over the winter I added these bars, haven't had a chance to ride with them yet.due to snow
Removed my Goldstrike pegs because I keep scraping them in the corners, also with the NC bars it gave me another place to mount a set of lights.
The mounting of these bars using what I call a cable P clamp around the bikes side crash bar is flimsy, doesn't really do much. Would have liked to see a solid P clamp used.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Over the winter I added these bars, haven't had a chance to ride with them yet.due to snow
Removed my Goldstrike pegs because I keep scraping them in the corners, also with the NC bars it gave me another place to mount a set of lights.
The mounting of these bars using what I call a cable P clamp around the bikes side crash bar is flimsy, doesn't really do much. Would have liked to see a solid P clamp used.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also installed these over the winter. I am still trying to select an appropriate foot peg. What foot peg did you install?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Not to poo-poo the bars, but just to clarify, National Cycles calls these "comfort bars", not crash bars. They will likely offer VERY little protection in event of a drop or crash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
From Nighthawk 1 "What foot peg did you install? " None yet, I have a couple of different styles that i'm looking at. Wish the mounting was knurled to help hold the foot pegs secure, NC extensions appear to be smooth where you bolt onto.
remoandiris : Yes I wouldn't really consider them crash bars, one reason I would prefer the P clamp to be a true clamp, would provide more protection/bracing. I have pushed on them and there is very little flex but then I can't simulate a crash.The bars will provide more protection on a drop than a crash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There does not appear to be too many crash bar options for this bike. I will start with comfort and cross my fingers I do not need true crash bars.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The National Cycle "Tip over bars" resemble the OEM "Tip over bars" on the Kawasaki Voyager XII's which were strengthened by installing a bar between the two sides & that made them super strong. Do not know if this would be able to be done one the new wings? I can't tell by any photos of them if it would work or not on the new wing application?? The bar would connect the two sections by going across the front of the wing between engine and front fendor?? I made mine out of a solid polished stainless steel round bar that inserted into the oem tip over tubed material.. Very simple and worked to make the system solid so it more than did the job.. Just an idea to look at.

·
Registered
365 Posts
There does not appear to be too many crash bar options for this bike. I will start with comfort and cross my fingers I do not need true crash bars.
Because the Goldwing already has crash bars, aftermarket generic bars not designed to withstand the bike weight may increase the risk of damages to the bike, no matter what they look like.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Because the Goldwing already has crash bars, aftermarket generic bars not designed to withstand the bike weight may increase the risk of damages to the bike, no matter what they look like.
I have them on my 2018 , they don't replace the factory case guards, I view them as a extra ring of protection.

·
Registered
62 Posts
CarpeDiem said
"Because the Goldwing already has crash bars, aftermarket generic bars not designed to withstand the bike weight may increase the risk of damages to the bike, no matter what they look like."

I would agree if the original bars where removed this might be applicable. But the original protection remains in place, and another level of protection is added by attaching these comfort bars to different attachment points thus spreading out any impact forces. They also provide some protection to the front of engine, which the bikes bars don't

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to poo-poo the bars, but just to clarify, National Cycles calls these "comfort bars", not crash bars. They will likely offer VERY little protection in event of a drop or crash.
You are correct about the name "comfort bars". The picture I looked at didn't show, or I didn't notice, the type of metal used or it's density/strength. I guess they are maybe like some of the "light bars" that Honda uses of some of it's models as accessories, which allow you to add extra lighting to the front of the bike. But they do wrap around the bike like the crash bars used by say, BMW.

At least they are "some " level of extra protection. I hope they serve that purpose in a tip-over. And I wish the industry would start using he term "Tip-Over Bars" instead of the sort of misleading term "crash bars". In a crash at speed, bars get bent, parts get torn off, and sometimes there is even frame damage. In these kinds of wrecks, tip-over bars don't help at all.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I installed the comfort bars after seeing them at the Chicago MC show in Feb. 2019. I ordered the longest set back bat that National City sold with the comfort bars but they were still too short for my legs. I am 5'10". You can see in the pictures the original shorter version and then the longer version on the bike. So I went to a fabrication shop and had two longer lengths made to bring the pets back closer to my feet. I have attached pictures. I had extra sets made and will sell a longer set for $45.00 to recoup the cost of fabrication and powder coating.

You WILL need star washers when you install to keep the arms from lowering down from use.

·
Registered
365 Posts
CarpeDiem said
"Because the Goldwing already has crash bars, aftermarket generic bars not designed to withstand the bike weight may increase the risk of damages to the bike, no matter what they look like."

I would agree if the original bars where removed this might be applicable. But the original protection remains in place, and another level of protection is added by attaching these comfort bars to different attachment points thus spreading out any impact forces. They also provide some protection to the front of engine, which the bikes bars don't
You are assuming the added bars has been designed as crash bars which this vendor did not claim.
And the attachments of those bars may cause structural damage to the engine even with a gentle lay down.
My point is just to distrust anything that appear to be an added protection for the bike unless it as been designed and tested to do so.
It may function as an added protection for the people on the bike in case of crash but still have to be demonstrated to be true.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are assuming the added bars has been designed as crash bars
I didn't/don't assume this to be true. I just assume they will provide an additional layer of resistance to a crash. I also don't assume the bikes original Engine/saddlebag guards will protect, but will help.
With today's society willing to sue over hot coffee being hot I doubt any manufacturer would state that these will protect in the event of a crash.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I didn't/don't assume this to be true. I just assume they will provide an additional layer of resistance to a crash. I also don't assume the bikes original Engine/saddlebag guards will protect, but will help.
With today's society willing to sue over hot coffee being hot I doubt any manufacturer would state that these will protect in the event of a crash.
The OEM engine/saddlebag guards have been already "tested" by current owners (Engine and Bag guards work!).

·
Registered
365 Posts
UH, you might get a different statement from michealnel about the lack of protection and the damage from a drop. His test got DRAMATICALLY different results.
No hearsay, link please
The engine/saddlebag guards protect only from a gentle drop at 0 mpg on a flat surface without other obstacles.
It would be nice to see where exactly the "comfort bars" touch the ground first.
If the pegs are touching first, the "comfort bars" would probably deform under the bike weight (and inertia from the fall) since they don't have a solid anchor to the frame (2 out of three "comfort bars" mounting points are not solid attachment to the frame, see https://www.nationalcycle.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/ispl/10-110008-000.pdf).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No hearsay, link please
The engine/saddlebag guards protect only from a gentle drop at 0 mpg on a flat surface without other obstacles.
It would be nice to see where exactly the "comfort bars" touch the ground first.
If the pegs are touching first, the "comfort bars" would probably deform under the bike weight (and inertia from the fall) since they don't have a solid anchor to the frame (2 out of three "comfort bars" mounting points are not solid attachment to the frame, see https://www.nationalcycle.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/ispl/10-110008-000.pdf).

View attachment 365443
Carpe, the info can be found(link) on this forum, 2018+, under the title "dumped it", by mchealnel.

Honestly, I couldn't tell , and would not brave a guess, as to the tensile strength of those "comfort bars:. We do have some folks here that have installed them though. Maybe they can chime in and answer that question for us.

I didn't look at them close enough to notice that they weren't attached to the frame. Good Catch. Since they protrude farther out than the "nubs", and are actually installed over them, I would guess that they hit before the nubs do. However, if they are as strong as some of the other real "engine guards", like BMW, Yamaha, etc, use to protect their engines during a tip-over, I would would work. It's not a new design at all. That design has been around for years.

But, since you mentioned it, I have never noticed how the same design on BMW, Yamaha, etc. are mounted, as in frame mounted or not. But t would be interesting to find out.

·
Love The DCT
11,395 Posts
No hearsay, link please
Here's your link. No hearsay.

?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts