GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Michaelnel's bike fall on the right side :confused: after the owner put the kickstand down and dismounted...most likely the bike wasn't on flat ground.
Looking at the pictures , it seems the bike also slid , leaving vertical scratches.

It would be nice to have some vendor to produce actual extended crashing bars to protect from the above situation.
Even extended saddlebag guards alone would be interesting and maybe easier to install than engine guards.

In the mean time, don't underestimate gravity! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I installed the comfort bars after seeing them at the Chicago MC show in Feb. 2019. I ordered the longest set back bat that National City sold with the comfort bars but they were still too short for my legs. I am 5'10". You can see in the pictures the original shorter version and then the longer version on the bike. So I went to a fabrication shop and had two longer lengths made to bring the pets back closer to my feet. I have attached pictures. I had extra sets made and will sell a longer set for $45.00 to recoup the cost of fabrication and powder coating.

You WILL need star washers when you install to keep the arms from lowering down from use.

View attachment 365417
View attachment 365418 View attachment 365419 View attachment 365420 View attachment 365421
If you have an opportunity can you post a photo showing more of the bike? I appreciate it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You are correct about the name "comfort bars". The picture I looked at didn't show, or I didn't notice, the type of metal used or it's density/strength. I guess they are maybe like some of the "light bars" that Honda uses of some of it's models as accessories, which allow you to add extra lighting to the front of the bike. But they do wrap around the bike like the crash bars used by say, BMW.

At least they are "some " level of extra protection. I hope they serve that purpose in a tip-over. And I wish the industry would start using he term "Tip-Over Bars" instead of the sort of misleading term "crash bars". In a crash at speed, bars get bent, parts get torn off, and sometimes there is even frame damage. In these kinds of wrecks, tip-over bars don't help at all.
You are correct about the name "comfort bars". The picture I looked at didn't show, or I didn't notice, the type of metal used or it's density/strength. I guess they are maybe like some of the "light bars" that Honda uses of some of it's models as accessories, which allow you to add extra lighting to the front of the bike. But they do wrap around the bike like the crash bars used by say, BMW.

At least they are "some " level of extra protection. I hope they serve that purpose in a tip-over. And I wish the industry would start using he term "Tip-Over Bars" instead of the sort of misleading term "crash bars". In a crash at speed, bars get bent, parts get torn off, and sometimes there is even frame damage. In these kinds of wrecks, tip-over bars don't help at all.
I installed the comfort bars after seeing them at the Chicago MC show in Feb. 2019. I ordered the longest set back bat that National City sold with the comfort bars but they were still too short for my legs. I am 5'10". You can see in the pictures the original shorter version and then the longer version on the bike. So I went to a fabrication shop and had two longer lengths made to bring the pets back closer to my feet. I have attached pictures. I had extra sets made and will sell a longer set for $45.00 to recoup the cost of fabrication and powder coating.

You WILL need star washers when you install to keep the arms from lowering down from use.

View attachment 365417
View attachment 365418 View attachment 365419 View attachment 365420 View attachment 365421
raw2210

id like a set of the long ones.

[email protected]

·
Registered
921 Posts
From my personal experience and a drop at 0.0 MPH the Honda crash bars are Pure D CRAP. I slowly dropped my 2018 in my driveway and ended up with scratches on the front fender and rear saddlebags and the crash bar covers. I have dropped my GL1500 and 2012 GL1800 many times and not one scratch. These piece of %$#$ things on the 2018+ are nothing but CRAP. :mad: :mad: (n)(n)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Wow:p :p

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes I did the 50 & 60 series. Plus the EMB-120 and the Boeing 747 classic.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts