GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only happens once in a great while. I start bike and take off before the Nav intro is completed. Usually okay and get normal display (not map though since I'm already rolling). Occasionally the screen goes dark & I have to stop & turn bike off/on to make it come on. Manual says this could happen if the unit overheats but it happened a couple times when temp was in the 30s. Bought the (2010) bike new - so it's under warranty but I figure the Service dept will say they could not duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just bought my 2010 on the 20th. It happened 3 times at the dealership before I left. The 3rd time the salesman seen it happen, was going to try and duplicate it for the service manager but he just kept pushing buttons and wouldn't let it cycle thru to go black. Salesman kinda got frustrated with him but I'm sure now that u say it talks about it overheating is why. He probably knew that. It did it 1 time since, bike sitting outside in the sun for 5 hours. So maybe heat related.

Dw

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
Oh ... sorry to hear you have one made in OH. Hopefully, Honda didn't transfer those workers to Japan to make the 2012s!!!

Try reseating (disconnect, reconnet) the connector under the meter panel. If that does not do it, reseat the connectors in front of the dash (remove the windsield and visor for good access) and then the ones at the radio (remove the seat and shelter). Before any of that, make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.

·
Registered
242 Posts
will try that. funny it happened to me today, cool of the morning so i am ruling out the "heat" thing now. just dont know if i should go after this or take it to honda since i dont have 600 miles on it yet.

dw

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally took bike to Service Dept because I also had an intermittent problem with shock preload switch. They obviously could not duplicate the issue. When they were checking the shock issue (it was not working when I took it in) they pulled the switch but found no problem. They slapped some dielectric grease on it and put it back in. They said they discovered loose battery cables & when they tightened them the switch started working. They are hoping that was also the cause of the nav unit going black. I doubt it though because the shock issue happened a lot more than the nav issue & I suspect if it were loose cables the nav unit should have gone black each time the shocks didn't work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have noticed this too on my 2010 ABS Navi Im thinking it is a start up lag in the computer. Im just dealing with it it happened 4 times already.I have the 7 year warranty I will get it checked on my first service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck with that. As mentioned the dealership told memImwould be chafed for the time spent trying to find the cause if they could not duplicate the problem. May not be an issue for me anymore. I wrecked mine last Friday. Waiting to see if it's totaled (I damn near was). Been riding for 30 years $ hundreds of thousands of miles & this my first accident - but it was a doozy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My Nav was doing the shut down thing if I went a different way than what the Nav system wanted. So I cleaned the contacts on the bottom card in the Navigation box, then went into the system set up and did a "Reset all Settings" and so far it is working great!!! I even tried to fool it to make it recalculate and shut down, but it kept on working! Hope it stays that way!!! We will see.:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts