GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to share some info indian just updated there ride command system and it now has 101 way points

if you needed and wanted them.

its crazy why honda used the system they did.

penny wise and dollar foolish.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Back in 2014 Harley had 8 waypoints on the then new BOOM Infotainment system. After about a year, and a number of updates the BOOM now has a 100 waypoint capability. Where would Harley go to for such a crummy system? Harmon Kardon. The same company that makes the GPS in the 2018 Gold Wing. One would think that not only Honda, but HK would have learned from that ill-conceived product. Apparently, they didn't, but HK did prove that the number of waypoints can be expanded. Time will tell as to what the new update holds for those of us holding our collective breath.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have been in the process of planning a road trip to attend the MotoGP to be held at the Circuit of the Americas in mid-April. In this process, I've been trying out the Furkot Road Trip Planner online web-based system. It's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm getting there with it. So, I've created a route that is 1033 miles - me and a couple buddies are planning a SS1K to get there before the race as it's not really that far from where I live. I generated a ".gpx" file and downloaded it to my computer; sent it to my friends and had them try loading it on their respective GPS devices. One friend rides a H-D Road Glide and reported no problems with the file. My other friend hasn't reported anything yet (he rides an FJR and uses a separate GPS unit). I loaded the ".gpx" to my '18 'Wing only to find that I could only go half-way there :) The 8-waypoint limitation hit me right in the middle of my route. I haven't been able to reduce the number of waypoints in Furkot (I haven't figured out how just yet), nor should it really be necessary. I'll simply split the route up into segments of the 8-waypoint limitation and load those. My riding buddies likely won't have to do that.

Ergo, I'm anxiously awaiting the upcoming update from Honda hoping they will have addressed the 8-waypoint limitation because it truly sucks for long distance riding purposes. I also have Google Maps and Apple Maps and I might just go ahead and grab Waze or one of the other spiffy GPS packages or possibly a separate device. After all, the other programs rely on having a smartphone (which I do), but that means having cell coverage which can be spotty. So, I'm not meaning to rant-n-rave, but what the hey, it's early Friday morning and I've only had one cup of coffee and it's cold and raining so I might as well be grumpy. It's goes with being old, fat, and ugly. Ride safe.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
Big deal.Good for Indian. Honda updated their Wing with a DCT transmission and modern electronics. Indian did not. Apples and oranges

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
Back in 2014 Harley had 8 waypoints on the then new BOOM Infotainment system. After about a year, and a number of updates the BOOM now has a 100 waypoint capability. Where would Harley go to for such a crummy system? Harmon Kardon. The same company that makes the GPS in the 2018 Gold Wing. One would think that not only Honda, but HK would have learned from that ill-conceived product. Apparently, they didn't, but HK did prove that the number of waypoints can be expanded. Time will tell as to what the new update holds for those of us holding our collective breath.
HD’s new Boombox GTS can now have up to 400 waypoints per ride. It appears the number of rides is only limited by system memory/storage. I had a chance to play with the new Boombox GTS system today. It is definitely superior to the nav/gps in the new wing.

:doorag:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Did the first update, which messed up the CB radios, increase the amount of way points? Did the second update just repair the CB function only or did it add more way points also?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tuck,
Good luck on your trip to COTA next spring. I have been to motoGP twice and it is a lot of fun. Consider the special Honda parking. I didn’t since my last time there was in a BMW.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tuck,
Good luck on your trip to COTA next spring. I have been to motoGP twice and it is a lot of fun. Consider the special Honda parking. I didn’t since my last time there was in a BMW.
This will be my first trip to the COTA. I believe it will be the first trip for my friends as well. Thanks for the tip on parking. We'll be staying in Bastrop as the current plan. Seems like every hotel near the track raises their room rates for that weekend. We're also planning on experiencing the entire race weekend, so it's your typical three dudes out on a rampage doing the pillaging and plundering thing - lock up your wives and daughters - hide yo' whiskey! The Redstone Riders MC Executive Committee is headed your way! Let me know if you show, we'll have a beer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have been in the process of planning a road trip to attend the MotoGP to be held at the Circuit of the Americas in mid-April. In this process, I've been trying out the Furkot Road Trip Planner online web-based system. It's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm getting there with it. So, I've created a route that is 1033 miles - me and a couple buddies are planning a SS1K to get there before the race as it's not really that far from where I live. I generated a ".gpx" file and downloaded it to my computer; sent it to my friends and had them try loading it on their respective GPS devices. One friend rides a H-D Road Glide and reported no problems with the file. My other friend hasn't reported anything yet (he rides an FJR and uses a separate GPS unit). I loaded the ".gpx" to my '18 'Wing only to find that I could only go half-way there :) The 8-waypoint limitation hit me right in the middle of my route. I haven't been able to reduce the number of waypoints in Furkot (I haven't figured out how just yet), nor should it really be necessary. I'll simply split the route up into segments of the 8-waypoint limitation and load those. My riding buddies likely won't have to do that.

Ergo, I'm anxiously awaiting the upcoming update from Honda hoping they will have addressed the 8-waypoint limitation because it truly sucks for long distance riding purposes. I also have Google Maps and Apple Maps and I might just go ahead and grab Waze or one of the other spiffy GPS packages or possibly a separate device. After all, the other programs rely on having a smartphone (which I do), but that means having cell coverage which can be spotty. So, I'm not meaning to rant-n-rave, but what the hey, it's early Friday morning and I've only had one cup of coffee and it's cold and raining so I might as well be grumpy. It's goes with being old, fat, and ugly. Ride safe.
Rather than having 1 route with 8 waypoints to get to your destination, try 1 route for each gas stop or 2, with a max of 8 waypoints. I do this and it works quite well. You could have a naming convention of something like Day1_1of4/ Day1_2of4/ etc. Just make sure there are not spaces in the name of each gpx file.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Rather than having 1 route with 8 waypoints to get to your destination, try 1 route for each gas stop or 2, with a max of 8 waypoints. I do this and it works quite well. You could have a naming convention of something like Day1_1of4/ Day1_2of4/ etc. Just make sure there are not spaces in the name of each gpx file.

The problem I have is making a route where I want to go down certain streets. From point 1 to point 2 it will take a certain route, but I want to go to another street before getting to point 2, so I have to add a 3rd point on that street I want to take. It just gets more complicated the more detailed route I want to take. Just taking a 30 mile ride through some back roads can use up 8 way points real fast.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I feel your pain, as I've planned similar routes. I've adapted, but not been happy about it. I've been waiting none too patiently for the 100+ waypoint upgrade. One thing that has helped is it's been full blown cold/winter in Minneapolis, so my riding for the year was cut short the beginning of November.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The bigger issue for me is not the number of waypoints, but the way the system tries to constantly route you back to a waypoint you missed. I also find the way all the smaller road details dissapears above the 1 mile zoom setting to be a hugely limiting factor.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The bigger issue for me is not the number of waypoints, but the way the system tries to constantly route you back to a waypoint you missed. I also find the way all the smaller road details dissapears above the 1 mile zoom setting to be a hugely limiting factor.
The first time I tried using the GPS I ran into this problem of being rerouted back to a missed waypoint. I was not that familiar with the software at that point and didn't know how to quickly delete a missed waypoint. It was hugely frustrating to the point that I just tuned out of the system and used Google Maps. The problem was I had set the waypoint in a spot that I couldn't actually get to - not the middle of the road, but offset into an actual building or something where I couldn't get the software to trigger completion of the waypoint. I went around the block twice before I said the heck with it and kept moving. Things only got worse from there.

I'm not a bit more comfortable with the builtin GPS now, but it has its shortcoming and I, like others, hope that many of these issues and concerns are addressed in the upcoming update. It has worked fine for getting me home when I have strayed afar to places unknown which I am bad about doing. It's not that I get lost, it's just that I can't find my way home :grin2:

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
Did the first update, which messed up the CB radios, increase the amount of way points? Did the second update just repair the CB function only or did it add more way points also?
The Jan 2019 update is the one that is supposed to add more waypoints.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
this will be a mute point when the update comes out but i just split my longer trips into separate trips with 8 waypoints each. and i make SURE to place them on the road.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I used the GPS yesterday to lead a group ride and what a disaster!

I started the route from the parking lot we gather in and when I started the ride, I was off by 200 ft.
The GPS kept trying to route me back to the starting point.
After a while, I got tired of the "make a U turn", I pulled the group over and cancelled the route and restarted it thinking it will see I am on the route and will pick up from there.
No such luck.
I eventually turned it off again and had to go by memory of what roads to take. What a pain!

So I had to split this ride into 2 routes to keep each one under the 8 limit.
So using the second route, I did not start it in the same EXACT spot the route started from and I was hosed again.
I had to pull the group over and cancel the route and try and restart it, which didn't help since we were heading in the direction of where I lived, I selected Go Home to get me back to some streets I knew.
Then I realized that I could use the route, even though it was telling me to constantly make u turns, but I could see on the screen the route and which roads to turn on. So again I had to pull the group over to stop the bike and started the route again and I used it that way. At least I got to where I was going. What a pain.
If they don't come up with a fix for this thing, I will mount a Garmin on my handlebars and be done with this.

Now some of this could be the Honda Trip Planner website. It does not allow you to grab a route and move it from one road to another, so you have to use way points to make the road go where you want it. It also doesn't zoom in far enough to pick the EXACT spot you are supposed to start the ride with.
I think I will have to start the route before I get to the meeting location, ride around the parking lot until it sees I am there, and go over to the group and leave the GPS route on so it knows I have already been at the starting point and and now on the route.
Crazy.....R & D sure blew it on the GPS.
I still love the way the bike rides.....I ride it everyday I can.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used the GPS yesterday to lead a group ride and what a disaster!

I started the route from the parking lot we gather in and when I started the ride, I was off by 200 ft.
The GPS kept trying to route me back to the starting point.
After a while, I got tired of the "make a U turn", I pulled the group over and cancelled the route and restarted it thinking it will see I am on the route and will pick up from there.
No such luck.
I eventually turned it off again and had to go by memory of what roads to take. What a pain!
So using the second route, I did not start it in the same EXACT spot the route started from and I was hosed again. I had to pull the group over and cancel the route and try and restart it, which didn't help since we were heading in the direction of where I lived, I selected Go Home to get me back to some streets I knew. ...
Easy fix: omit or delete the starting point of the route before creating the gpx file. The Honda GPS does not differentiate between the starting point and the first waypoint of a route and will always guide you to the first point.

If you have omitted a waypoint, you can delete this waypoint and continue while moving. No need to stop.

·
Registered
807 Posts
RE: Indian Ride Command. The bike-to-bike comparison is definitely apples to oranges. But the electronics as to GPS, infotainment, etc is definitely head-to-head as all major brands offer similar equipment. From the ones I've looked at or owned Honda is dead last in this dept. To put such as this on an otherwise superior bike is a disgrace.
As always, JMHO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts