GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've a new problem/issue with my '09; when I stop for gas I switch off the engine by going to "acc" in order to keep the nav on. Always before, I could switch back to "on" and start the engine without the nav rebooting. Yesterday every time I would do that the nav screen would go blank (off) when I hit the start button, then have to reboot. Any idea why?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I agree to check the battery and connections - regardless of how "new" the battery is. It takes very little amperage to spin the engine, but running the electronics is a larger load and usually fails first.

I would remove the battery from the bike and take it to an auto parts shop and have them load test it. If it tests okay then upon reinstallation, make sure the cable ends are clean and tight. If the problem persists, then start looking for another cause.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My Honda Navigation stuck on back in 2013 on a trip to the Grand Canyon North Rim. I stopped at a Honda shop and inquired and they called a Honda Tec Rep and called me back and said "I must have left my bike sit in the hot sun". DUH! I was told to do a full reboot of the Navigation. Since I was on a long trip I was kinda glad it was auto turning on and didn't want to waste time searching how to do the reboot, so I just rode on. A couple of days latter while riding down the road it rebooted itself nd has never did it again.

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
This happens when the battery voltage going to the Nav unit drops too low. I'm not sure exactly where the threshold is, but I think it is around 10.8 volts or so. When you're cranking the engine, if the voltage drops below the threshold, the Nav system will reboot. Most likely cause is that your battery is getting older. You could also have some resistance in the power connector (3 pin) going to the Nav unit under the seat, you might try unplugging it and cleaning it and reconnecting. But more likely it's the battery showing its age.

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
MY 08 ALWAYS DID AND MY 2014 ALWAYS REBOOTS WHEN YOU SHUT OFF BIKE IF I DONT HIT THE NAV BUTTON NAV DOSENT WORK/DISPLAY I USUALLY LEAVE ON ACC WHEN GETTING GAS "SO I DONT FORGET " :serious::laugh:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Is happening to me too again - a sign that your battery is aging... Mine was OK for a while after installing new battery, now it's happening again - time for a new battery I suspect...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The consensus seems to be "check the battery". I'll do that today, and report back. Thanks everyone for your opinion/suggestion.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Here is what I know so far; I have an Argus Battery Bug on my '09. It shows 56% life remaining and voltage of 12.6 after sitting ~24 hours. Makes me think more of a connection issue maybe. I'll dive into that later today. I hooked up my Battery Tender Jr. and the voltage rose to 14.6V as normal in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This happens when the battery voltage going to the Nav unit drops too low. I'm not sure exactly where the threshold is, but I think it is around 10.8 volts or so. When you're cranking the engine, if the voltage drops below the threshold, the Nav system will reboot. Most likely cause is that your battery is getting older. You could also have some resistance in the power connector (3 pin) going to the Nav unit under the seat, you might try unplugging it and cleaning it and reconnecting. But more likely it's the battery showing its age. @Fred H. is there a way to keep the engine from starting while I crank it, in order to check battery voltage? Mine fires right up when I hit the starter.

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
@Fred H. is there a way to keep the engine from starting while I crank it, in order to check battery voltage? Mine fires right up when I hit the starter.

Yes, you can use the Flood Mode procedure. Hold the throttle wide open and crank the starter over for a few seconds only. Don't continue to crank beyond 2-3 seconds, and be sure to cycle the key off before you try it again, because if you crank it a second time it will start, and the engine will run wide open.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Ok. Here is what I know so far; I have an Argus Battery Bug on my '09. It shows 56% life remaining and voltage of 12.6 after sitting ~24 hours. Makes me think more of a connection issue maybe. I'll dive into that later today. I hooked up my Battery Tender Jr. and the voltage rose to 14.6V as normal in just a few minutes.
Neither of these is proof of a good battery. Standing voltage doesn't (really) count here. The best thing to do is take the battery to be load tested. Then you'll know.

... and by the way, the voltage you're reading with the battery tender attached is the charging voltage, not the battery voltage - FYI.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This happens when the battery voltage going to the Nav unit drops too low. I'm not sure exactly where the threshold is, but I think it is around 10.8 volts or so. When you're cranking the engine, if the voltage drops below the threshold, the Nav system will reboot. Most likely cause is that your battery is getting older. You could also have some resistance in the power connector (3 pin) going to the Nav unit under the seat, you might try unplugging it and cleaning it and reconnecting. But more likely it's the battery showing its age.
While cranking the engine, I have 10.4-10.5 volts. I guess I'll replace the battery. Funny thing is sometime it doesn't happen. Thanks @Fred H. for the help, and to all who gave their opinion.
Bill

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The best test for the battery is to get it load tested. Most auto parts stores will do it for free.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Yes, Nav reboots at 10.7v every time, 10.8v most of the time. I have been dealing with this issue since my 2006 started doing it in 2007. The only solution is a new battery, but that only lasts about 1 to 2 years and I am back to Nav reboot on starts. I have also had a long period of time where I had a multi-meter hooked up direct to the battery to watch voltage before, during, and after cranking. My 2010 has been in the 10.7-10.8 cranking range for almost a year now and this AGM battery is only 2 years old. In fact, every AGM battery I have had in my 2010 (#2) starts rebooting the Nav on starts when the battery is only a year to year and a half old. Thinking seriously about a Lithium-iron....... I even got a compatible trickle charger a week ago. I bought a new trickle charger because the one I have been using has been indicating "bad battery".

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Yes, Nav reboots at 10.7v every time, 10.8v most of the time. I have been dealing with this issue since my 2006 started doing it in 2007. The only solution is a new battery, but that only lasts about 1 to 2 years and I am back to Nav reboot on starts. I have also had a long period of time where I had a multi-meter hooked up direct to the battery to watch voltage before, during, and after cranking. My 2010 has been in the 10.7-10.8 cranking range for almost a year now and this AGM battery is only 2 years old. In fact, every AGM battery I have had in my 2010 (#2) starts rebooting the Nav on starts when the battery is only a year to year and a half old. Thinking seriously about a Lithium-iron....... I even got a compatible trickle charger a week ago. I bought a new trickle charger because the one I have been using has been indicating "bad battery".
Everyone with a 6-10 Nav wing should check the connector that feeds power to the Nav unit. The connector in question is under the seat in a boot near the relay bank. It gets corrosion in it and can contribute to this rebooting issue. The connector has two wires/pins and is black. Anyone with this issue should take a voltmeter and check the voltage on this connector with the key on and compare it to the battery’s voltage. There have been bikes with issues in the connector and some bikes with issues in the wire feeding the connector from the relay. It’s C27 in this pic. The light green/black wire is the one to check.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Techdude2000, I’ll check that when I get back home next week. But I do see a new battery in my future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts