GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 last fall and have just been riding it now for the last 2 days. Everything seems to be functioning except the Navigation. When I search by address, the street number screen comes up and I can enter the number. Then I hit OK or whatever and select street name. That screen comes up and the screen is lit up with the numbers and letters for only about 2 seconds and then goes dark. All that is left lit up is the right and left arrows. Any ideas on what to do about it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I too have a 2008 with nav and one day three years ago after I purchased the bike from a private seller I hit a bump in the road and looked down and had a similar issue like you have. Took the screen apart checked all the connections and put it back together and still the same issue. So while it was apart somehow with all the electrical connections together ignition on and squeezed the screen and presto the screen was back to normal. I would let go of the screen and went back to no screen just some letters and numbers. So what I did on the back of the screen where it fits in a plastic mount I wedged a piece of vacuum hose between the rear screen and the plastic mount it fits in and 40,000 miles later it still works.
i believe in my case the electronic board inside the screen must have a broken solder joint in it and by putting a little pressure on the back of the screen made the connection and worked ever since. Good luck and I hope this helps, It did in my case.(y)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too have a 2008 with nav and one day three years ago after I purchased the bike from a private seller I hit a bump in the road and looked down and had a similar issue like you have. Took the screen apart checked all the connections and put it back together and still the same issue. So while it was apart somehow with all the electrical connections together ignition on and squeezed the screen and presto the screen was back to normal. I would let go of the screen and went back to no screen just some letters and numbers. So what I did on the back of the screen where it fits in a plastic mount I wedged a piece of vacuum hose between the rear screen and the plastic mount it fits in and 40,000 miles later it still works.
i believe in my case the electronic board inside the screen must have a broken solder joint in it and by putting a little pressure on the back of the screen made the connection and worked ever since. Good luck and I hope this helps, It did in my case.(y)
Thanks for the reply. I hope it is that simple.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had an issue with mine once on my 06 and the nav card in the trunk was not pushed in all the way. The symptoms were a little different than yours but might be worth a try.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an issue with mine once on my 06 and the nav card in the trunk was not pushed in all the way. The symptoms were a little different than yours but might be worth a try.
interesting...the other day when the guy at the dealer went over the bike on release to me he took out the chip and had me put it back so I knew where it was....i bet I didn't get it in all the way.....i will cfheck that when I can. thanks!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I just upgraded my nav card and when I put it in i accidentally bent one of the pins. I was lucky I was able to fix it but you have to be very careful pushing those things in. I have and 08 too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts