GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While doing the update I went into the house after about 30 minutes and the bike had turned off. I turned it back on and the update seemed to start from the beginning. When it got to updating the Navigation it seemed to hang-up at 9%. After about 10 minutes it cut off again. I turned it back on the th update started again. this time it hung up on App Data is installing at 11% for about 20 minutes and the bike turned off. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Urgh, no, sorry. Try using a different USB stick in case that's the problem, otherwise I think its round-to-the-dealer for you :-(

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is my plan. I am giving it one more try. This time it has finished installing app data. I am going back outside to check the status.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got message update failed while it was doing navigation. So I am going to re-download and start over.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 1 hour the bike beeped and turned off. The last display was app data 81 % and total complete was 53 %. This is after I reformatted and re-downloaded. I wonder can I re-install the first update?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I keep a battery charger hooked to the bike while the update is running.
In Europe, the GPS update is managed via Honda dealer network and the Honda Service bulletin on the first update (including maps) also gives instruction to have battery charger connected during update. I guess also because the file is larger then in US (10,7GB) and takes up to an hour.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine went fine however if I was you I would delete the download off your computer and download over again. Throw the stick out and get a new one - not from the dollar store. Download and install on new stick. Also have battery tender attached while doing the install. If it doesn't go again I would contact the dealer.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
be sure the bike is in "Accessories" mode and the battery fully charged

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do what Mr Vann said, get a name brand like PNY, not sandisk, format it to NTSC, disconnect bike battery for 30 minutes to collapse any capacitors and volatile memory , in case of an anomaly in software . then reconnect battery and retry with battery maintainer on, as voltage levels critical for update success, and good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
In Europe, the GPS update is managed via Honda dealer network and the Honda Service bulletin on the first update (including maps) also gives instruction to have battery charger connected during update. I guess also because the file is larger then in US (10,7GB) and takes up to an hour.
If you gonna use a good USB stick , less than 20 minutes.
(size of US update is quite the same)

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is applicable for a PC. There is separate instructions if you use a Mac. If you use a Mac, you chose Mac OS Extended from the format menu.

:doorag:
Further to what murf says... I have used both formats on my MacBook Pro. Initially, I used the Tuxera application to format a USB 3.0 compatible thumb drive (SanDisk Cruzer 32GB) to the NTFS format. The first and second updates went this route. For the latest update (the third), I used the same thumb drive formatted as MacOS Extended. The install went fine and took around 20 minutes. I did have the bike on the battery tender, but I watched the entire operation as I was curious about how it would progress.

I found that the filename has to remain exactly the same (swdl.iso) and should be the only file on the thumb drive. It would be a good idea to check the md5sum against the file to assure the download was not corrupted. I've never had a problem with the download from the Honda site. So, YMMV.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same thing happened to me, changed USB stick and updated without issue

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you look at the "latest" update the website is nice, pretty, and slick. Unfortunately the file that downloaded is the NOVEMBER 2018 file. It says Jan 2019, but the file is the 2nd update, not the 3rd.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts