GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't figure this one out so I was hoping some of our brightest members could help ! Here's what I got.

2010 GL1800 NAV/Audio
XM - Music/Weather/NAV subscription

NAV has me pin pointed correct to exact location. Antenna signal stregnth good.

Weather has me in correct location on map--however-- says I'm in a city 120 miles from where I am.

My location is Hays, Kansas, but my Weather displays wx info for Goodland, Kansas. When I go to "weather" - "city" and select Hays, Kansas, the "city" selection guide is correct and has a green dot next to it. When I select Hays, Kansas my screen goes back to and displays the weather for Goodland, Kansas. This is so weird !

I had XM resend the subscription down to me twice with no help and speaking to someone in India about anything more is useless IMO. What baffles me is that my NAV is spot on and trip planning is correct, but Weather is off by City Name only ???

Any ideas ???? :confused:

·
Vendor
22,108 Posts
Maybe Hays Kansas doesn't have a weather station that reports data to XM, so they use the nearest location.

I know that when I am out in the stix and check the weather chart data on my 376 it may sometimes pull data from a city 50 miles away, since thats the closest reporting station with stuff like Baro pressure, wind speed, forecast, etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe Hays Kansas doesn't have a weather station that reports data to XM, so they use the nearest location.

GREAT idea Fred ! IF XM Weather only uses the cities that the National Weather Service has reporting stations at, that would be correct. As Goodland, KS has a reporting station, and Hays does not. Although I am not sure that's good, as the NAV Weather uses cities for reporting current weather conditions and forecast and using "reporting" stations would make this feature useless I think.

·
Vendor
22,108 Posts

GREAT idea Fred ! IF XM Weather only uses the cities that the National Weather Service has reporting stations at, that would be correct. As Goodland, KS has a reporting station, and Hays does not. Although I am not sure that's good, as the NAV Weather uses cities for reporting current weather conditions and forecast and using "reporting" stations would make this feature useless I think.
The only thing I really use the Nav weather for is the Radar map, and occasionally I'll look at the Wind map. I've never really used the weather reporting data much, other than maybe to see what the local temperature is in some city I'm headed to.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Same with mine..I live in northern Pa..But my forecast comes from Buffalo 80 miles away..Must be the closest here too..

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I agree it's probably aboout the nearest forcast location...

However, one time on my 2007, the factory nave reported my location as being over a lake in arkansas. I was in dallas at the time.

So strange stuff happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts