GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 years of riding BMWs, I am going to buy a Wing.

I have a question about the Navi system. I use a Garmin 376C on my BMW, and I do all my trip planning on a PC in Mapsource and then download the routes and waypoints to the 376C. Is there someway to do this on the Wing - is there a port to use to download from a laptop? Or do you have to locate all your waypoints right on the Navi unit - which seems like a PITA without a keyboard?

Thanks, looking forward to my new bike.

Steve

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
UberXY said:
... Is there someway to do this on the Wing - is there a port to use to download from a laptop? Or do you have to locate all your waypoints right on the Navi unit - which seems like a PITA without a keyboard?...
Welcome to the 'not-quite-so-dark' side :)

No, there is currently no way to interface with the Navi system other than the on-board controls.

You'd be better off to hang onto your 376 until they add more features to the Navi unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon said:
UberXY said:
... Is there someway to do this on the Wing - is there a port to use to download from a laptop? Or do you have to locate all your waypoints right on the Navi unit - which seems like a PITA without a keyboard?...
Welcome to the 'not-quite-so-dark' side :)

No, there is currently no way to interface with the Navi system other than the on-board controls.

You'd be better off to hang onto your 376 until they add more features to the Navi unit.
Jon: thanks, this is what I thought. So I will not be ordering a Wing with Navi because for me if you can't use Mapsource the Navi just doesn't do it for me. I am doing a Four Corners ride with the western leg all the way across Canada, so looks like I will be using the 376C and interfacing it and the built in XM into the audio system somehow.

Steve

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have read that you can take the card out of the bike and put it in a card reader to connect it to your computer, for map updates or whatever.

I am assuming when you save waypoints on the bike, or routes, they are written on the card. So can you load waypoints and routes onto the card while it is in your computer, and then put the card back in the bike?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Navi use

Don't give up on the nav unit. It is very quick to load a destination on the bike. More POIs than you could ever use. I don't have it all figured out yet but gets me wherever I want to go. I think the manual for the nav alone is over a 138 pages long. Good luck with whichever way you go, but can't go wrong on a wing. Tom

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Ron no the waypoints are not on the card there in the memory of the navi unit the only thing on the card is mapset's and unlock codes, keep your previous Garmin units they will be what you mostly use on trips.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well that figures! I'm starting to think that the guys that designed this system don't even ride.........

I can't understand why Honda would take everything that Garmin has learned about how GPS units are used, and just throw it out. And some will say that the Wing Nav system is a good system, and it may be, but that's not the point. The point is, it could have been outstanding instead of just good.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Ron Leonard said:
Well that figures! I'm starting to think that the guys that designed this system don't even ride.........
I seriously considered the '06 with Navi until I learned enough about the integrated system to know it was not for me.

I suspect Honda (maybe more accurately their lawyers) did a lot of homework on their target market...new to the GoldWing and new to GPS buyers.

Personally, I think Honda did many riders a favor by limiting the useage of the on-board GPS.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm not complaining about the inability to use the GPS while riding. I can see the reasoning for that. I'm talking about the inability to program routes and waypoints on a PC, etc.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
GPS - Honda vs Garmin

Honda probably uses the same GPSthey use in Honda/Acura cars, and for the $2500 price, it's garbage. Screen res is VERY low-res, no uploading, and screen info is lousy. The Honda unit is made by (I believe) Alpine, and it's lousy. For about $1200 you can buya Garmin thatwill do everything you'll ever need, and soon will include even a visual weather radar overlay using XM (built-in) technology. Get your Wing (or Honda car) without the GPS and add a Garmin. I currently use them both, and I'll take the Garmin anyday. :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DT said:
Ron Leonard said:
...I'm talking about the inability to program routes and waypoints on a PC, etc.
That was a deal-breaker for me too!
Me too. I am going to order a non-Navi wing, and buy a Zumo, or use my old 376C, which does everything I want - Mapsource programming, XM, weather, traffic reports, etc; plus I can make changes while riding.

Steve

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
From the trend of the posts in this thread I can't help but wander if Honda caught on to this tendency to go with the more flexible after market multi-function GPS units. I would have followed the pattern many here have espoused except Honda has "loaded" the decision by making it necessary to buy their NAV unit if you desire their ABS brakes. Good marketing I suppose. They may lose some ABS sales due to folks not being willing to cough up the NAV-bucks just to get to the ABS. I'll go for the ABS and if the NAV is too much of a pain I'll end up buying another GPS as well. They sell what they want to sell and we have only the final decision "To pay or not to pay. That is the question." :lol:
DC

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Unfortunately, I was FORCED to buy the Navi in order to get ABS. Otherwise, I would have kept my 2720. There HAS TO be a way to hack into the software so that the CF card can hold a Mapsource route.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
BigBird05 said:
Unfortunately, I was FORCED to buy the Navi in order to get ABS. Otherwise, I would have kept my 2720. There HAS TO be a way to hack into the software so that the CF card can hold a Mapsource route.
Warped minds think alike BigBird. I have the same desire, or maybe it's an hallucination. :lol: We'll see whats inside the box when I get my hands on it.
DC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts