GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally going to install a navi override switch and I can't locate the thread with the instructions. Can anyone help me find it? I am wanting to do it to my 2013 Wing. Thanks in advance.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the article that tells you how you can start the NAVi without stopping the bike?
Yes, you cut a wire and put the switch inline. Then you can flip the switch and turn on the navi without turning off the key. Someone had posted a picture of which wire to cute with instructions.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Let me know if you find !! Also is wire you use same on say an 06 ?

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

The hack I remembered was just to snip a wire and put an inline rocker switch. No relays or diodes. I'm not very confident with adding electronic components. LOL That's when I would bug my youngest son with electrical engineering degree. :lol:

·
Registered
441 Posts
The reverse switch is a unique angle to this. If I was going to do that, I would use a Honda 5 pin OEM relay with the built in diode to keep the kickback from possibly damaging the cruise/reverse control module.
TD,

The ELK-912 that I used does have diode protection across the trigger coil so I think it will be as protected as the Honda relay, but have a bit smaller easier layout. The spec sheet for this relay package is below. You can see it’s a pretty nifty package with relay, diode, and terminal strip all mounted to a small board.

https://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/elk-912-compact-relay-module-12-volt-dc-coil

·
Registered
881 Posts
The relay mod is because the 06 - 08 US and 06 -10 Canadian are different and will not work with just the switch mod. There are two different mods for the mentioned models. The other is to mod the clutch switch which creates a safety issue. That mod will let the bike start while the clutch is in gauged.

2009-2017 US and 2012 - 2017 Canadian will work with just the switch mod.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The relay mod is because the 06 - 08 US and 06 -10 Canadian are different and will not work with just the switch mod. There are two different mods for the mentioned models. The other is to mod the clutch switch which creates a safety issue. That mod will let the bike start while the clutch is in gauged.

2009-2017 US and 2012 - 2017 Canadian will work with just the switch mod.
Do you use the same wire as mentioned in the link with just the switch?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Do you use the same wire as mentioned in the link with just the swtch?

If you are asking about the white wire with black strip. Yes but there is a few location that you can tap into. You will need to ask some one else the best location to tap into it.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here my thread on this topic .... @onan helped me

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-g...-saddlebag-accent-swoops-gps-pass-switch.html

I've had this mod for several years and never had issue with it.

Good Luck ... Boomer!

Donnie
Thanks Donnie
The link to the navi bypass is dead. It must be the same one I had saved.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...igation+switch

I wish Gene lived closer. A bunch of guys are going to Sikeston this weekend but I have family plans. :crying:

Edit: I'd buy @onan a steak dinner at the Scioto Ribber if he came and helped me.:wink2:

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanks Donnie
The link to the navi bypass is dead. It must be the same one I had saved.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...igation+switch

I wish Gene lived closer. A bunch of guys are going to Sikeston this weekend but I have family plans. :crying:

Edit: I'd buy @onan a steak dinner at the Scioto Ribber if he came and helped me.:wink2:

You're right .. sorry about that ... @Bluehighways might have some info. Temping @onan Gene with red meat is good idea :grin2: although I think he is out of town right now on a ride.

Another board member is taking me to the RTE in Sikeston, Missouri Saturday. Sorry you can't make it.

Donnie

Reactions: Boomer1832cc

·
Registered
881 Posts
techdude2000

I can no longer verify this but I believe anytime the override is engaged the self cancel feature of the turn signals will not work. Even if you cut the wire in the trunk. Also if left on too long the FI light will start flashing. The only way to stop it is to turn the bike off and then back on after dis-engaging the override.

If the relay mod is done correctly there is no need to touch the clutch on any year wing.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
You're right .. sorry about that ... @Bluehighways might have some info. Temping @onan Gene with red meat is good idea :grin2: although I think he is out of town right now on a ride.

Another board member is taking me to the RTE in Sikeston, Missouri Saturday. Sorry you can't make it.

Donnie
PROBABLY DODGING THE RAIN IN HIS MUSTANG !! :wink2::laugh:

Reactions: Donnieontheroad

·
Registered
881 Posts
The turn signal will not cancel properly even if you splice mod at the nav board in the trunk. That is where it was splice on my 06. So if you do the mod either the switch only or the relay mod and you find that at times you turn signals at weird check that the override is not on.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Over many years and tens of thousands of miles; this has worked perfectly for me.

No trouble codes or any other issues.
Thank you sir!! :bow::bow::bow:

To be honest. I was thinking it was you that had posted it but I was not sure enough to say it. :laugh:

My wing already has a hole that I will use. It has a momentary button that the previous owner had for a garage door opener.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Again forum is awesome !! Thanks dont get no clearer than that.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
One need not use the Radio Shack version (Part Number: 275-730) of the switch I originally used. Since Radio shack is only a shadow of its former self; the option to use a Radio Shack Switch may be moot.

If you search Amazon using the following text, it'll pull up all sorts of switches, any of which will be perfectly adequate. "Round Button 2 Pin SPST On/Off Rocker Switch"

Reactions: Donnieontheroad
1 - 20 of 21 Posts