GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to review the whole route after putting in a destination? The screen only shows the first 3 turns. I was told to hold down the zoom button, but that doesn't work. I'm ready to go back to my old Garmin 2720.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
prob'ly won't help you much, but I've reviewed the whole route to see what I wanted to change by going to a lower resolution and then using the direction keys to scroll.
I'd prefer the old descriptive turns ... but it seems lik ethey conveniently "lost" that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to review the whole route after putting in a destination? The screen only shows the first 3 turns. I was told to hold down the zoom button, but that doesn't work. I'm ready to go back to my old Garmin 2720.

I have found it generally rather frustrating to work with.

If I am going on a longer trip, I will usually pick my own route using good old paper maps.

I then pick a few key towns - usually just small ones - along my chosen route, and then input these to the gps ahead of time as "favorites."

I keep a sequential list of these town in my pocket, and input the first to teh gps as a destination.

One I am getting close to the first town, at a convenient pee or gas stop, I will change the gps to aim for the second town instead - this is simply to avoid having the gps detour me to the town hall of the first town if not necessary!

I continue doing this town by town to final destination.

Its not very high tech, but this simple method has taken me back and forth across this continent a couple of times without problem - and on teh route I want to go!

Brian.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Shimpy, the GPS will show more than just three turns. Like said, hold down the Zoom button ( push in ) and on the screen you will see the first three turns in text form. On your right side control panel push the bottom button and you can scroll through EVERY turn to your destination. You can't do this when you are moving however. Try it and let me know.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shimpy, the GPS will show more than just three turns. Like said, hold down the Zoom button ( push in ) and on the screen you will see the first three turns in text form. On your right side control panel push the bottom button and you can scroll through EVERY turn to your destination. You can't do this when you are moving however. Try it and let me know.
ElBando, I did exactly as you said and nothing happened. The first three turns come up when it completes computing the route as usual, but holding in the zoom and then the bottom button (arrow pointing down) does nothing.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Shimpy, once you have your three turns on display don't HOLD the zoom button any more, let go of it and just bump on the bottom ( 6 o'clock button ), let me know. I just went out to my '06 Wing and it works .

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shimpy, once you have your three turns on display don't HOLD the zoom button any more, let go of it and just bump on the bottom ( 6 o'clock button ), let me know. I just went out to my '06 Wing and it works .
ElBando, Nope, nothing happens. I guess they must have made some changes from '06 to a '10. There is nothing in the manual and I've tried all buttons and combinations but nothing will let me scroll down the turn list.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have an 09 and I can't figure out how to do that either BUT I just did almost 1000 miles through NY, Vermont, NH and back and this is what I did to get on the "route" that I wanted..............it was a pain but it worked.

Go to google maps, find places every 50-100 miles or so along the route you want between your start and finish, get an address from something on that route and write it down. For some of mine I had 4-5 points between start and finish, don't avoid highways on the GPS it'll really screw things up.

Do "Route to Destination" put in your ending address, then select "Edit Route" and then "Add Stop" type in the LAST address first, the work your way back to your starting point with the closet address to your start as the last entry, then click calculate route............this only went bad once and it was because I had "avoid highways" selected and ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that the GPS "Thinks" is a HWY, it will avoid, even if it's NOT a highway, just needs "HWY" in the name and you're screwed.

I printed everything out with all address for all legs and before I started out in the morning I did the above procedure and it took me exactly where and on what route I wanted to ride, zooming in and out will confirm the route for you.

Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an 09 and I can't figure out how to do that either BUT I just did almost 1000 miles through NY, Vermont, NH and back and this is what I did to get on the "route" that I wanted..............it was a pain but it worked.

Go to google maps, find places every 50-100 miles or so along the route you want between your start and finish, get an address from something on that route and write it down. For some of mine I had 4-5 points between start and finish, don't avoid highways on the GPS it'll really screw things up.

Do "Route to Destination" put in your ending address, then select "Edit Route" and then "Add Stop" type in the LAST address first, the work your way back to your starting point with the closet address to your start as the last entry, then click calculate route............this only went bad once
and it was because I had "avoid highways" selected and ANYTHING and

EVERYTHING that the GPS "Thinks" is a HWY, it will avoid, even if it's NOT a highway, just needs "HWY" in the name and you're screwed.

I printed everything out with all address for all legs and before I started out in the morning I did the above procedure and it took me exactly where and on what route I wanted to ride, zooming in and out will confirm the route for you.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Thanks goingballistics. I'll probably do what you listed. I usually us mapquest to get an idea of a route and miles and times. It gives me 3 choices for a route. On the bike when I put in the address, I like to know which route it is using. Funny, the other day I put in a destination and gave me a route, shortest distance, then put in go home and gave be an entirely different route.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Shimpy, I'm assuming everything we are talking about is when the bike is NOT moving. When you are moving all you get are three text turns. Are you moving when you are trying all this? Maybe the '06 IS different than the '10. Oh well........

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shimpy, I'm assuming everything we are talking about is when the bike is NOT moving. When you are moving all you get are three text turns. Are you moving when you are trying all this? Maybe the '06 IS different than the '10. Oh well........
No, not moving, setting on the side stand trying everything possible to read what the route is.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I'm scratching my head real hard here.....trying to think what we are doing that might be different. I do have my NEXT TURN POPUP disabled because it bothers me when I get to a destination and it keeps wanting to re-calculate me. Try turning off your popup.

·
Registered
466 Posts
3 turns only

hold the zoom switch to the left for 3-4 seconds and a different screen will appear listing your complete route. use the gps down arrow button to view your route

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hold the zoom switch to the left for 3-4 seconds and a different screen will appear listing your complete route. use the gps down arrow button to view your route
I appreciate everyone's help, but nothing works. I can't get a different screen to appear, only the first 3 turns.

·
Registered
136 Posts
when you are on that screen, push the down arrow button on the control panel....the next turns will scroll thru taking you all the way to the end and tells you how many miles. can;t do while riding.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when you are on that screen, push the down arrow button on the control panel....the next turns will scroll thru taking you all the way to the end and tells you how many miles. can;t do while riding.

When I push the down arrow button on the control panel, absolutely nothing happens. I'm not moving, setting in my garage trying to get this thing to work.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Shimpy, what route are you trying to program? Is there more than three turns? Put in a long route and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shimpy, what route are you trying to program? Is there more than three turns? Put in a long route and see what happens.
Yes, more than 3 turns. Just put in a route with lots of turns and can't get the 3 next turns to scroll down. I've used the zoom on the handle bar, and on the right control panel and neither works except to do what it is suppose to do, zoom. The arrow on the right control does nothing except sometimes going to that little white arrow to follow the map. It won't let me scroll down the turn list.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Thta how my 08 works also`:agree:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Shimpy, I think I have duplicated your problem and I have some advice for you. When you said that all you get is the white (cursor) arrow that moves when you push the bottom button that lets me know that you are in " half map " mode. When in that mode all you will get is the three text turns and the white arrow will move. Here is how to fix that: Go into your menu.....setup screen....set your map to display WIDE MAP, you must have HALF MAP already in there. Click DONE and go back to your route. Click through the display and leave the screen on the page that shows the map on the left and info boxes on the right. Now push your zoom button for a couple seconds until the screen changes to text on the left and a pop up next turn on the right. Push the bottom button now, and the top button to go back. Let me know when you have tried this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts