GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with the Goldwing tech guy in my renewed quest for an update to my 2007 GL Navi. I was told there has not been an update to the Goldwing Navi data base in 6 years.:shock:. That means mine was old when I bought it. :?. Said also that the 2011 data base update had issues and it is being withheld until things are right with it which will be at least another month from now. I stated that I'd gotten a glimpse of the new and improved screen features on the GL2012 and asked if the new update would incorporate any new features. He said "NO", only an updated data base. No improvements. I expressed my disappointment and gave him examples of bad features. They were fresh on my mind after reading Fred Harmon's recent thread on that subject. Now get this, he said no display features would be improved (I guess he said "changed") because then it wouldn't be what you purchased when you bought the bike, and some people would be unhappy with any change! To which I replied, Good, so we leave it at the lowest common denominator. Where have I heard that before?

Stuck on the trailing edge....

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
:wrong: Makes you wonder what ever happened to customer service and trying to do things to KEEP the owners happy? I also often wonder what it would be like if the people that are in customer service ever owned or had a chance to experience the vehicles that they are employed by their company to support. Better yet, give them an OLD vehicle that their company made, and see what they have to say about it when things don't work, things break, they get stranded on the side of the road.....or in this case, the GPS doesn't get them where they're trying to go because of a "software issue". That's just crap for a multi-billion dollar company. I say let THEM wear the shoes for a while and see how they feel.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The 2007 bikes had map dates of 2005. Doing the manual upgrade that many of us did with City Navigator 2009 helped us upgrade to 2008 dated maps.

I don't know what the Gaarmin rep you spoke to was smoking but even last year you could purchase a replacement card with 2008 maps off the Garmin website. So if he told you the mapset had not been updated in six years, that was just not true. Frankly I was annoyed the updated card had not been available a few months earlier, because it was a tedious process to upgrade the mapset myself, and I would have happily paid an extra fifty bucks to buy the 2008 maps already on a card.

You can see from the Garmin chart below (from the current website), the original FACTORY map dates that Garmin supplied to Honda and see how the dates moved ahead. A year ago, you would have seen 2008 mapsets as the most recent date for replacing your NAV card). So those of us switching from 2005 map data to 2008 map data was a noticeable change...more roads and better.
2010 map data is another two years better. (Even though it says NT2011.10, they are NOT 2011 maps...it is year 2010 map data).
Like Fred H. says, Honda is always a year behind...sometimes 2 years.

Now I have the new card for mine that has mapsets dated 2010. I got it just when the new cards were released and before they stopped selling them. I don't think Garmin has figured out the problem with the new/replacement cards for 2006-2008 NAV units becasue I have not gotten any emails about the fix. But since I do not do any routing, the problems do not affect me.

But there is only so much you can do...I believe that Garmin has taken the raw 2010 mapset data and used the OLD compression scheme to save them on the Honda NAV cards, so that we can use them on the old NAV units even though it's allegedly the same NT mapset that works for the 2009-2010 units. I really don't believe that a 2007 with older hardware can do much better in displaying things anyway, and I am pretty darn sure that the 06-08 NAV hardware can't read the NT format compressed mapsets.

My two cents worth.

·
Registered
110 Posts
re: Navi Update -- Garmin issues?

Looking at the chart, it appears that Garmin will sell us a 2011 map, but the storage media is a CF - way too small to store the map and the CF employed a compression technology to store get the older, less dense maps.

Why would we be able to purchase an upgrade that is not useable on our 2008 - Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts