GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed this unit on 1800 the garmin 2820? If so ,what do think of it. are would i be better off with the model 2730! :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got one about two weeks ago. The only difference between the two units is the 2830 needs an XM antennea and it has bluetooth capabilities with your cell phone. If you use the bluetooth headset, like a scala rider's headset the XM will not come through. I went with the Kennedy set up and you can still use the bluetooth for your phone for caller id, phone book off your phone and voice dial through the intercome with a wired headset.

Overall the unit works pretty good. If bluetooth phone capabilities are not important, you are probably better off with the 2730. Since I like to take my wing on some business trips and can spend a lot of time on my cell phone the 2820 enables me to use my cell phone and all the geatures.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Garmin 2820

I just ordered one as a complete package from Cycle Gadgets. THe only reason to opt for the 2820 over the 2730 that I coud discern is the bluetooth capability. If you're not going to use a bluetooth cell phone, go for the 2730, it's less expensive and includes the XM antennae.

It will probably be a week or two before I receive, install and tgry out my 2820, but I will report on it when I've had a chance to use it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Go for the 2730 and save money. If you need to make a cell phone call do it when you stop for gas. The world will still keep turning if you have to wait 30 minutes to an hour before you return a phone call.

Motorcycles are dangerous enough looking out for cagers and particularly those on cell phones but now you are distracted with a GPS, music (which I don't think is very distracting) and trying to engage in a cell phone conversation makes motorcylce riding VERY DANGEROUS. You need to be concentrating on riding and avoiding IDIOTS trying to kill you. When you stop for gas, then you can take 10 or 15 minutes to retrieve messages and make a couple of calls and then get back on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts