GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this with their bike? I have now, several times had my OEM Navigation 'freeze up' in a continuous loop upon initialization (turning bike on). The screen just stays on the Navigation Initialization page. I BELIEVE this has happened when I have had a route loaded and am riding a customized (loaded to the bike) route. I stop somewhere and when I go start the bike again I get this.

When this happens, the entire bike locks out. Can't manipulate any page (not just the Nav page). Comms don't work, even CB doesn't work. Sometimes I get the comms back (and Apple Car Play) but the Nav does not initialize (not good if I'm trying to lead a ride). Then yesterday, while riding, I had the entire Nav screen just go black except for the 'next turn guidance' (those green bars with the turn, distance, etc in the upper right hand corner of the display). Everything else was black. Then after stopping and turning the bike back on, I got everything back.

Has anyone seen this? Any pointers on how to quickly get it all back? I have found that turning the bike on and off (sometimes several times and sometimes to no avail) is the only thing that seems to recover the system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Doubtful my advice will help but have you applied the January update? If no, try. If yes, try again and see if it will let you "re-apply" it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done the January update but had not thought about trying to do it again. Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have had similar issues and have started a dialog with my dealership. Sometimes it takes a "few" minutes to get the navigation to come fully up, but it always does. When I'm leading I have generally studied the route thoroughly, possibly even making it myself. (Although, many times my ride director or road captain will have put the route together.) I have taken to ensuring that I know the next couple of turns after a stop so that I may ride uninterrupted. I also turn the bike to auxiliary if I believe we will only stop for a few moments. Then I don't have to wait for it to boot back up.

I'm also seeing a "Check Tuner" message if I'm running the XM radio and I turn the bike on. This can last about as long as the navigation loading and seems to be possibly related. I've driven a few blocks before the XM radio comes back to life and then I don't get a screen for a few moments after that. Music will play, but the screen still says, "Check Tuner."
I'm going to attempt to time some of these actions to quantify them instead of saying, "They take a few moments too long to load."

I'm wondering if the Harman Kardon unit might be at fault here. I'm not sure, but aren't the Navigation and XM both part of the same system?

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I've not had the screen freeze or loop, but have noticed a delay in when nav audio instructions resume on bike restart.

Only noticed it because the (random) stop I used in my test loop was only about a mile before a turn at an intersection in the route.
(I did have a routing point at that intersection)
Audio resumed a block or so after the turn had been made.

It would be good to know if the delay always occurs and if it is always the same number of minutes from restart.

I'm currently thinking that if my test stop had been a few blocks further from the turn point the instructions probably would have resumed before getting to the turn.

More testing required?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm wondering if the Harman Kardon unit might be at fault here. I'm not sure, but aren't the Navigation and XM both part of the same system?

Yes, it would be.

They are all one “infotainment” system (and it’s likely Harman Becker - that’s the automotive side of the Harman company which does NAV stuff - Harman and it’s branches are subsidiaries of Samsung).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts