GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda (Japan) has asked me for some feedback regarding the operation of the Nav system since the new update was released in January.

I'd like to hear what everyone's top three complaints are about the system, or top three features they would like added or changed. I can't use rambling paragraphs. Try to keep it to one sentence, and remember I'm communicating with folks who's primary language is not English, so keep it simple.

Mine are this:

1. Automatic route recalculation after missing a waypoint that would skip the missed waypoint and carry on to the next.
2. Small road detail should be visible at higher zoom settings. When I zoom out past the 1 mile scale, I loose all detail.
3. Contrast and backgrounds need to be improved so roads show up better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would like to see a larger font size for everything.

I would also like the icons (like state and county and even interstate numbers) to be quite a bit larger than they are.

Better contrast would be a huge benefit.

Ask Honda Japan to get one of their older techs involved - someone with 60 or 70 year old eyesight instead of the young guns.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1. No unpaved road option for routes
2.Automatic route recalculation after missing a waypoint

3. Larger more bold font with darker outline not white outline as is now that bleeds into map leaving a thin black letters

4. Arrival time
5. More distinctive roads with better contrast.
6. Elevation
7. Android Auto

·
Registered
422 Posts
1. Automatic route recalculation after missing a waypoint that would skip the missed waypoint and carry on to the next.
2. Small road detail should be visible at higher zoom settings. When I zoom out past the 1 mile scale, I loose all detail.
3. Contrast and backgrounds need to be improved so roads show up better.

:)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
1. Ability to manually enter a business name in a search function that will also bring up a list of similar business names.
2. Better contrast of roads and bigger fonts or at least a choose font size function.
3. Ability to show POI's up to at least the 1 mile screen.

Thanks Fred

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
1 Separate scale and detail level control.
When in a remote area, I want to be able to zoom out and 'see' where that minor connecting road goes to, rather than needing to stop and get out a paper map.

2 Ability to show POI's when zoomed out further than current (perhaps tied to the detail level control)

3 Ability to have both 'shaping points' and 'intermediate destinations'.
There are those that do want to stop at every point, and are added just for shaping.

·
Registered
336 Posts
1. Ability to search POIs by name. The current method is almost useless in a built-up area.
2. Ability to turn auto recalc on/off.
3. Addition of shaping points ala Garmin.

Marc

·
Registered
134 Posts
1. Better road contrast on secondary (twisty) roads
2. Twisty roads should show a wider road than just a thin line to better read the road - like the previous generation did

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine would be a bit more dramatic

Forget built-in Nav
Use CarPlay or whatever it is Android uses
Focus on making the connection between the riders phone and that lovely big screen on the dash seamless

·
Registered
2018 Tour DCT
166 Posts
1. I'd like to see the names of intersecting roads at a higher zoom level. If riding with a 0.2 mile zoom level it would be nice to see the names of the roads your route is crossing.

2. More contrast on the display so the route shows up better and get rid of the white-ish background.

3. Better (larger) display of the road name you are currently on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
1. As previously said, closest gas station while moving.
2. Closest Hospital while moving.
3 Everything else everyone said.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do Iron Butt Association style long distance rallies. These rallies have all different POI’s with all different point values. I bought my 2018 Wing and only got 2 days/11xx miles on it before it snowed/salted me in in Michigan so I have not practiced with the new Wings gps system...so excuse me if the wings gps can do what I want from a GPS...but from the sounds of it it can’t do most of it.

When a rally master (person in charge of the rally) sends out a rally packet (has what is required for each POI/bonus point) they usually send out a file of gpx’s For the entire rally. This file might have 100-200 different POI’s in it. Usually the rally book also has latitude/longitude gps coordinates in it. These coordinates are in google map gps format but once input into Garmin basecamp basecamp automatically converts to my Garmin gps/basecamp Cordinate format from what Google uses.

So my ideal wants for a Goldwing GPS would be:
1) Able to input 100-200 poi’s so that I can see every poi in the rally. I would be able to just drag and drop the gpx file from the rally master into the Honda nav system

2)Able to see every poi from any level of zoom. If I want to see the whole country zoomed out I want to see every poi programed in

3) Able to program the name of my poi custom (typically I program a name of the bonus code and the point value)

4) Able to put a custom symbol next to my poi’s (example because rally points are different point values I put a circle, square, or triangle relating to their point value to mark my poi’s)

5) Able to custom color the color of my poi symbol. (Ex: For daytime only bonuses I put blue like the sky. For any 24hr bonus I put green. And for a time restricted bonus (like a museum that is open 10-5pm) I put a red color to my poi symbol....so I have red triangles. Blue squares. Green circles. Ect marking my poi’s and then next to those symbols custom text with the poi name and it’s point value.

6) Able to make a custom route to any of the poi’s on a computer or on the bike and then navigate that route. That route will use likely 20-30 of the poi’s but will still leave all of the 100-200 poi’s visible in case I have extra time in the rally to get off my route and go grab an extra poi

7) when I make my custom route I want time to the next poi in hours and minutes as well as arrival time there. I also want time in hours and minutes as well as arrival time at the end of my total route. I want this to be able to be toggled back and forth easily or displayed all the time for both.

8 )total distance to next poi as well as total distance to the end of the route listed all of the time or toggled back and forth

9) I want to be able to pull up my entire listing of my poi’s on my route and easily delete one while riding. Example: I’m running low on time and don’t have time to go to #18 poi. I pull up the list and delete number 18. The nav would then automatically recalculate the list and navigate to the 19th poi on my route.

10) the ability to add a poi easily. If I have extra time I want to be able to add an extra poi and have the nav automatically recalculate the route with that poi in there.

11) ability to move any selected poi up or down in the list view for the order I’m visiting it.

All of this nav work should be able to be done while the bike is moving except the putting the gpx file into the bike and naming/putting symbols to the poi’s. The master list of my route would likely be done on a computer too...but I would want to be able to delete, re-arrange, and add individual poi’s while riding.

If I can’t do any of this I will have to have extra gps’s That can. My Garmin Montana 610 can do all of that and likely will need to be mounted on my bike to do everything I need to do for rallies.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I do Iron Butt Association style long distance rallies. These rallies have all different POI’s with all different point values. I bought my 2018 Wing and only got 2 days/11xx miles on it before it snowed/salted me in in Michigan so I have not practiced with the new Wings gps system...so excuse me if the wings gps can do what I want from a GPS...but from the sounds of it it can’t do most of it.

When a rally master (person in charge of the rally) sends out a rally packet (has what is required for each POI/bonus point) they usually send out a file of gpx’s For the entire rally. This file might have 100-200 different POI’s in it. Usually the rally book also has latitude/longitude gps coordinates in it. These coordinates are in google map gps format but once input into Garmin basecamp basecamp automatically converts to my Garmin gps/basecamp Cordinate format from what Google uses.

So my ideal wants for a Goldwing GPS would be:
1) Able to input 100-200 poi’s so that I can see every poi in the rally. I would be able to just drag and drop the gpx file from the rally master into the Honda nav system

2)Able to see every poi from any level of zoom. If I want to see the whole country zoomed out I want to see every poi programed in

3) Able to program the name of my poi custom (typically I program a name of the bonus code and the point value)

4) Able to put a custom symbol next to my poi’s (example because rally points are different point values I put a circle, square, or triangle relating to their point value to mark my poi’s)

5) Able to custom color the color of my poi symbol. (Ex: For daytime only bonuses I put blue like the sky. For any 24hr bonus I put green. And for a time restricted bonus (like a museum that is open 10-5pm) I put a red color to my poi symbol....so I have red triangles. Blue squares. Green circles. Ect marking my poi’s and then next to those symbols custom text with the poi name and it’s point value.

6) Able to make a custom route to any of the poi’s on a computer or on the bike and then navigate that route. That route will use likely 20-30 of the poi’s but will still leave all of the 100-200 poi’s visible in case I have extra time in the rally to get off my route and go grab an extra poi

7) when I make my custom route I want time to the next poi in hours and minutes as well as arrival time there. I also want time in hours and minutes as well as arrival time at the end of my total route. I want this to be able to be toggled back and forth easily or displayed all the time for both.

8 )total distance to next poi as well as total distance to the end of the route listed all of the time or toggled back and forth

9) I want to be able to pull up my entire listing of my poi’s on my route and easily delete one while riding. Example: I’m running low on time and don’t have time to go to #18 poi. I pull up the list and delete number 18. The nav would then automatically recalculate the list and navigate to the 19th poi on my route.

10) the ability to add a poi easily. If I have extra time I want to be able to add an extra poi and have the nav automatically recalculate the route with that poi in there.

11) ability to move any selected poi up or down in the list view for the order I’m visiting it.

All of this nav work should be able to be done while the bike is moving except the putting the gpx file into the bike and naming/putting symbols to the poi’s. The master list of my route would likely be done on a computer too...but I would want to be able to delete, re-arrange, and add individual poi’s while riding.

If I can’t do any of this I will have to have extra gps’s That can. My Garmin Montana 610 can do all of that and likely will need to be mounted on my bike to do everything I need to do for rallies.
I reccomend mounting the Garmin to your 2018.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don.t know if this is something they are looking for but. I would pay them $20.00 for the privilege, their by releasing them of any liability of me operation the nav. while moving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My favorite after my first trip...

When a part of the planned route is under construction (road works, whatever), I need a function to calculate a different route (Bypass) for 1/2 mile / 2 miles / 5 miles (selectable).

I ended up with my wife taking over the navigation job instead at the first road works section. And she was way more flexible than the nav system...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts