GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
I'm trying to update my nav with the latest update (Feb 2020) from Honda. I have followed the instructions but it is not "recognizing" anything when I plug the usb stick into the bike. When the software is downloading to the usb it is coming in as "swdl (2)" not "swdl.iso" The instructions say NOT to change the name when you copy it from you pc to the usb stick. I have tried it both ways (i.e. leaving it as it downloads, and then also changing the file name to "swdl.iso") and neither is working for me. I consider myself a pretty smart guy but I just can't get the bike to "see" what is on the usb stick and prompt me "do I want to update nav"

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
That happened to me with last years update..I had to delete the earlier updates and only have the latest update on my computer..also only the latest update on the USB stick and nothing else...when I did that everything worked

·
Registered
34 Posts
How are you formatting the memory stick? It has to be formatted as per the directions.
Actually, I think Russell and Roadie have the answer though, but I thought I would just make sure on this too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just to clarify, it doesn't really matter how many swdl 's on your computer or what their names are but the USB must have just one swdl on it. It is a disc image file and mine is sized 8,505,388 kb

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am getting an Authentication failed. I put my drive in the USB cable. Turning to the right 2 times then it says. Authentication failed. I did a full NTFS format on the Stick. What is going wrong here?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just to clarify, it doesn't really matter how many swdl 's on your computer or what their names are but the USB must have just one swdl on it. It is a disc image file and mine is sized 8,505,388 kb
yeah it does matter how many swdl's you have on your computer because when you download the new one it comes up swdl 1 or 2 depending on how many you have on your computer and that is changing the name from swdl iso to swdl 1. and before you say you can just change the name on the usb. Alls I can say is it didn't work for me, nothing worked until I deleted all previous swdl's from my computer.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Matt, I've got a working install available if you need it. Recently updated my bike. Let me know if you need it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
yeah it does matter how many swdl's you have on your computer because when you download the new one it comes up swdl 1 or 2 depending on how many you have on your computer and that is changing the name from swdl iso to swdl 1. and before you say you can just change the name on the usb. Alls I can say is it didn't work for me, nothing worked until I deleted all previous swdl's from my computer.
It's just a filename. Changing the name back to swdl.iso will work fine back to providing you give the file the correct name. Obviously delete the old swdl.iso first...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I sure wish I had read this post before I started this update. It certainly would have saved me a lot of time. As is stated, nothing works until you follow these simple instructions. :cry:

·
Registered
211 Posts
yeah it does matter how many swdl's you have on your computer because...
If you read my post carefully you will note I stated you can have several SWDLs on the computer but just one on the USB drive and that one must be named correctly. I have no idea why yours did not work.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
For what is worth: I had capacity problem loading the previous update to this one. First, the laptop did not have enough mem left, then when I clear that problem, my mem stick did not have enough mem.

On the second update (the recent one) the darn thing stopped downloading for some unbeknownst reason. I hit the download again and the second time it worked, but I did not let my laptop go to sleep. And it took a long time...much longer than it took to upload to the bike.

I don't even use the dammmmn thing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
...First, the laptop did not have enough mem left, then when I clear that problem, my mem stick did not have enough mem. ...And it took a long time...much longer than it took to upload to the bike...
The Nav files are just over 8GB size so your computer must have about 9GB free space and you need a 16GB memory stick. The download speed is based on your local wifi/router speeds that can be faster or slower than USB transfer rate.

Also for anyone using cloud storage such as OneDrive etc and synching, your OneDrive will require 9 GB storage or you can temporarily turn off the OneDrive synch.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
The Nav files are just over 8GB size so your computer must have about 9GB free space and you need a 16GB memory stick. The download speed is based on your local wifi/router speeds that can be faster or slower than USB transfer rate.

Also for anyone using cloud storage such as OneDrive etc and synching, your OneDrive will require 9 GB storage or you can temporarily turn off the OneDrive synch.
I used a 32GB mem stick and it would not load...yes I formatted it.
So I got a 256GB then it worked.

To me, is amazing the diversity of experiences dealing with this darn Carplay sys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts