GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Which units are you guys running and what are the likes and dislikes. Looking to purchase one for the summer riding.
I have a Garmin 2820 on my LT and really do like it.
The wing is a '09 Navi/XM.
If you want the maximum usability, the 2820 is my choice and the price has came way down. The XM antenna is pricey by itself, but bundles can be found. I wasn't that lucky. I paid a young fortune for mine.
Of course the 7" screen on the wing and the Nav/Weather is sweet, even if it won't do what the 2820 will do.
After I sell the BMW, I'll probably put the Garmin on the Wing along with the factory GPS. I like the programing ability of the 2820.

Lewis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which units are you guys running and what are the likes and dislikes. Looking to purchase one for the summer riding.
I have a 2008 goldwing with GPS from the factory. I added a Garmin 550 for the following reasons.

1- Mapsource software gives me the ability to input routes , tracks, ect.
2- XM Radio, Weather and Taffic is an absolute must.
3- When doing IBA's you can input way points and divert to them.
4- Bluetooth (Kennedy Hill) works well with Garmin 550 bluetooth and yes I can talk to you on my headset while riding down the Interstate.

You will Need an GXM30 satellite receiver ($99 ebay) that mounts to the Garmin (XM). Now for the hard part. When you wire this in you must put a 100 amp in line fused filter from the battery and ground to the frame not the battery or all you will hear is the whinning of the world famous Honda Dirty Alternator. You can buy the inline filter at any car stereo installation place. They gave me a used one free. Make sure you update your Garmin monthly.Good luck I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Gps

I also have the Garmin 550, but I did not have to install a filter and I have no alternator whine in my headset.
I use the navigation, XM radio, and the bluetooth for my phone, It all works great. I have mine mounted with the dash mount from www.goldwginggadgets.com I really like the heads up display this way.

http://www.grahampage.info/zumo1.htm

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Lot of Garmins out there - and some others as well. Garmin seems to be in the majority, model depends on ones wants, desires, and checking account. Myself, I have a Garmin 2730 because I wanted the XM radio, and bought it when they first came out. No reason to change, but the newer ones have bigger readouts. Also have a 2720 for the car, same thing but no XM, (CRV has XM), and that was price driven - about $60 delivered from ebay. Carol has a 2610 in her car, transfered from her previous car.

Picked the Garmins because they are waterproof, but have seen brighter displays.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I actually like my built in NAV, since I don't like machines giving me directions..a rolling map is exactly what I want.

But I am tempted to replace my XM Roady XT with a Garmin 478. Damned expensive, but it's a marine unit so it's waterproof and has the XM radio PLUS the XM weather screens. I would love to be able to see realtime radar to try and avoid the rain.

Plus I could use it as a NAV unit in my Truck, which currently has no NAV

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts