GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a colleague who rides a 2010 with Navi. When he hits Canada next month will his factory navigation still be useful ?

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Have a colleague who rides a 2010 with Navi. When he hits Canada next month will his factory navigation still be useful ?
Of course it will. Why shouldn't it? The GPS doesn't care where it is..., only that it can see the GPS satellites. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's probably wondering if the Canadian street maps are loaded in the Navi.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mine worked fine.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
He's probably wondering if the Canadian street maps are loaded in the Navi.
I believe there only is one set of maps covering all of North America.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I heard that electromagnetic waves have a clockwise spin up there...
But it's digital, so the spin doesn't matter. At least, that's what the politicians tell us when they put a spin on things, electromagnetic or otherwise... :roll:

·
Registered
66 Posts
If he has XM weather, forget it. Doesn't work much past the US/Can border. :wrong:Ask me how much that disappoints me.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Two years ago we rode from Niagra around Lake Ontario and across Canada all the way to Edmonston, then back down through Maine. The factory gps worked just fine, the map always showed where we were and the data base had not trouble finding motels for us.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wing Nav works fine in Canada (in Pembroke, ON and Fort Cologne, Quebec anyhow).
Magellan in my truck doesn't know Canada exists - just a gray background as soon as I crossed border - (maybe the maps got turned around at customs... oops, different thread)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Brian,

Are you sure Canada in "North America" ??
I thought it was in Canada...:shrug: you know, since the war of 1812, when you threw us out for coming into the country with loaded guns.

Never knew how it knew, but my Cell Phone knew when I crossed the river at Niagara, and charged me for an international call home. And I was standing right by the river.

Maybe you better check to see if there are additional charges to the GPS subscription for crossing over.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Brian,

Are you sure Canada in "North America" ??
I thought it was in Canada...:shrug: you know, since the war of 1812, when you threw us out for coming into the country with loaded guns.
As you can see on your signature map there is nothing above the northern states, or south of the southern states. Just the the great unknown.
It seems some of our fellow Gold Wingers have not yet heard the news about 1812.
The Garmin GPS maps have full coverage of Canada, Cell phone service is sporadic outside southern Ontario or major towns. And you will need a roaming package from your provider to avoid major surcharges.
You may also want to carry extra gas if you are exploring some of our northern roads. There are places where it is 200mi or more between gas stations. (plan ahead)
Other than above come on north and explore our
great country.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. The fellow is heading to Montreal from Indiana to see mom. As all of life's roads lead back to mom, the question is will we arrive before the dinner bell rings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Forget the aux gas tank, gas is too expensive up here. Bring an extra wallet for the taxes you'll be paying. :wrong:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts