GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question on the Electrical Devices subforum but, being a belt and suspenders guy I figured I'd put it here also.

I just bought a 2009 ABS GL and the dealer activated the 90 day subscription to XM, NavWeather and NavTraffic. I have never had a problem receiving `XM radio or NavWeather but I have never been able to receive NavTraffic. The dealer has "refreshed" the service twice and I have done the same online at the www.xmradio.com website. Still no NavTraffic.

Before I call XM about this I'd like to know if anybody else has experienced similar problems. I read the book thinking that I may have missed something about how to display it, but I didn't. It doesn't even show up in the start up menu as being available. I have wondered about the possibility of a defective XM module on the bike, which is possible. So, if any of you have had similar problems please let me know how you resolved them. Thanks.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
If you hold in on the ZOOM button on the left handlebar grip, it should toggle the display to the Nav Traffic and Nav Weather screen. The Nav traffic should be the first tab on that screen. You move from one tab to another by holding the zoom button to the right or left once on the Nav Weather and Nav Traffic screens.

For what it is worth, I deactivated Nav Traffic, as I really don't find it all that useful. To me, the Weather info is much more important than the trafffic, as I typically don't ride my motorycle in downtown LA very often.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred. When I hold the switch in I toggle between GPS and Weather but no Traffic. It also does not appear as an option in the menu. I think you are correct about the usefulness of it and I think I will just forget about it. I was just curious to see it since I supposedly had the free trial subscription. Like you, it was the weather info I was most interested in anyway.

Looks like I will be hanging my Zumo on the bike when I travel and will be using the onboard system as a moving weather map! I use the Zumo to find a lot of information while underway and can't see myself giving up that convenience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember, XM NavTraffic is only available in certain areas: http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc
That may be the answer. It makes sense. Even the NavWeather does not show up as an option on the Startup menu until the unit has loaded all of the data, so if the unit is not receiving any NavTraffic data it wouldn't appear as an option. Thanks for the comment. I'm done even thinking about it now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you hold in on the ZOOM button on the left handlebar grip, it should toggle the display to the Nav Traffic and Nav Weather screen. The Nav traffic should be the first tab on that screen. You move from one tab to another by holding the zoom button to the right or left once on the Nav Weather and Nav Traffic screens.

For what it is worth, I deactivated Nav Traffic, as I really don't find it all that useful. To me, the Weather info is much more important than the trafffic, as I typically don't ride my motorycle in downtown LA very often.
Fred,

Can you expain the process you use to toggle between screens after you hold in the button to get to the NavTraffic and Nav Weather?

After I hold the button down I get the page you mention, but I only am able to get to the NavTraffic. The other buttons are "greyed out". If I push the zoom button in either direction, it only zooms the NavTraffic map. I have tried to push the zoom button in and toggle from side to side but it doesn't move. It is stuck at the center detent position. When I release the button, it reverts to the regular map page.
I can see that I have the Weather option turned on when I use the menus at a full stop and I get the alerts and little map on the main map screen when I am approaching bad weather.

What am I missing? :shrug:

Thanks,

Lewis
'09 NaviXM

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fred,

Can you expain the process you use to toggle between screens after you hold in the button to get to the NavTraffic and Nav Weather?

After I hold the button down I get the page you mention, but I only am able to get to the NavTraffic. The other buttons are "greyed out". If I push the zoom button in either direction, it only zooms the NavTraffic map. I have tried to push the zoom button in and toggle from side to side but it doesn't move. It is stuck at the center detent position. When I release the button, it reverts to the regular map page.
I can see that I have the Weather option turned on when I use the menus at a full stop and I get the alerts and little map on the main map screen when I am approaching bad weather.

What am I missing? :shrug:

Thanks,

Lewis
'09 NaviXM
To toggle to other "tabs" push the navigation zoom button to the right or left and HOLD momentarily. It will then switch to the next tab.

·
Registered
165 Posts
To toggle to other "tabs" push the navigation zoom button to the right or left and HOLD momentarily. It will then switch to the next tab.
I'll try that again. When I tried it last night it just zoomed the display. I must not be holding it right.

Lewis

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'll try that again. When I tried it last night it just zoomed the display. I must not be holding it right.

Lewis
You gotta push and HOLD it to the right or left position UNTIL the screen changes. When the screen changes, you'll hear an audible beep and then you can release the button. Do not let go of it until the screen changes or you will just zoom in or out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hold the Button!

You gotta push and HOLD it to the right or left position UNTIL the screen changes. When the screen changes, you'll hear an audible beep and then you can release the button. Do not let go of it until the screen changes or you will just zoom in or out.
Thanks. :bow:

That is probably what I am looking for. I'm going up to Arkansas tomorrow and it looks like I may have a bit of weather and this will be nice.

Lewis

·
Registered
165 Posts
Success

OK, Thanks again! :bow:

It works just like ya'll told me it would. I tried this afaternoon on the way across Houston.
Now I know I'll keep it when the trail runs out.

Lewis

·
Registered
541 Posts
You probably aren't in an area that offers the NavTraffic feature, or you have no route selected that goes through one of the NavTraffic areas. Select a route as a test for a major city near you, then see if it becomes available.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
OK, Thanks again! :bow:

It works just like ya'll told me it would. I tried this afaternoon on the way across Houston.
Now I know I'll keep it when the trail runs out.

Lewis
:congrats:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts