GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a lot of you are Navy Vets. While I was stationed on the USS Albany cg-10 out of Mayport Florida from 1969-1972 I would ride my friends kaw 500 back and forth from Mayport to San Augestine on Hwy A1A along the beach. That was one of the best roads I have ever been on. Have any of you EX sailors ever rode that hwy. I would love to go back and ride it again....:cool:

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
I ride that road all the time, although A1A from Mayport to JAX Beach has changed a lot since you rode it last. Now, I get on A1A in Ponte Vedra Beach and head to St. Augustine from there. South from At. Augustine on A1A down to just south of Flagler Beach is also very nice.

Another very popular route here is Jacksonville is SR13 (Bartram Trail) along the St. Johns River. Lots of oaks and spanish moss in the trees.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
No, never rode on that one, but did put a lot of miles on my 67 yamaha 250 between San Diego and Long Beach when in port.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, never rode on that one, but did put a lot of miles on my 67 yamaha 250 between San Diego and Long Beach when in port.
O Yeah..Been there also while in transit waiting on orders also Boot Camp..Used to rent them little 125 cc with the governors so you couldn't go over 45mph and had to stay off the major hwys....OH what memories...Back then San Diego had signs for all Dogs and Sailors stay off the Grass...LOL

·
Inquisitive Member
204 Posts
plenty of times. was stationed at Cecil Field from 85-93, and did two cruises, Saratoga and the Rosevelt. beautiful rides.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Another very popular route here is Jacksonville is SR13 (Bartram Trail) along the St. Johns River. Lots of oaks and spanish moss in the trees.

Come on Bart, Everybody knows that sign is a mis-print... :p

L

·
Registered
740 Posts
a1a

Made that trip many times when I was stationed at NAS Jax (65 to 66) but did it in a cage. Didn't get a scoot until I was stationed at NAAS Kingsville,TX (66 to 68)
Bob VanNess

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hwy a1a

Never rode the A1A ,,,but when I was stationed at NAS Kingsville Tx (75-77) had use of a 750 to explore South Texas

·
Registered
29 Posts
Never Rode that one.. but the back roads of Yokohama, Japan can be fun if you're into riding on the wrong side of the road, being bigger than half the cars on the street, and playing bumper bikes with them... lol

good times... can't say I miss them though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts