GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be interested in doing an Iron Butt ride (1K miles in 24 hours or less) within the state of North Carolina? The IBA has been certifying these rides for a while now.

I've got a rough route planned that would keep us on main roads and not backtrack any during the ride.

Thought we could do it in early June on a Saturday.

Rules are here: http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1

What say ye?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Bob wher you going to start from what route are you looking at.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob wher you going to start from what route are you looking at.
Doug,

Roanoke Rapids. Everyone would have to ride there Friday and spend the night. I've attached a mapquest route. It's city to city, not the exact route, but it gives the basic route and mileage. See link below.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-rC_XOsRccVXxIfMmudnq

The route could begin in Elizabeth City and ride to Roanoke Rapids, about 100 miles, which would end the route closer to Raleigh. The disadvantage of that route would be traveling west in the dark on a route with potential for many critters. The concensus for best starting time seems to be early (2:00 to 3:00 am).

Whatta you think?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I've never run an Iron Butt. Did run 2 consecutive days 750 and 850 but stopped because I was heading west directly into the sun. I'd like to give it a try if you decide. What do you get if you complete the ride? Discount on bridgework maybe? Nobody fights on these rides do they?:joke:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yea I think it can be done. I have wanted to do an Iron Butt for some time. My only hold back would be the time you decided to do it. Wife and I have a ride set for the last weekend of May and first week in June to the Cruse Inn at Table Rock Lake.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never run an Iron Butt. Did run 2 consecutive days 750 and 850 but stopped because I was heading west directly into the sun. I'd like to give it a try if you decide. What do you get if you complete the ride? Discount on bridgework maybe? Nobody fights on these rides do they?:joke:
Joe, just for you we won't fight on this ride. I took too much of a beating from you Saturday!

I'll throw in bridge work for free.....all you have to do is enlist for a 4-year hitch in the Navy or Marine Corps.....should be easy.

For a few bucks and proper documentation, the IBA will send you a certificate!

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I think it can be done. I have wanted to do an Iron Butt for some time. My only hold back would be the time you decided to do it. Wife and I have a ride set for the last weekend of May and first week in June to the Cruse Inn at Table Rock Lake.
Doug, I just threw June out there because it's not too hot yet in June. We could shoot for the second or third Saturday.

May is probably out for me because I've got a trip planned the second week of May and CatsCade is the last week so some will want to be there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yea my May is looking pretty full for work and fun so mid June or late June will work. I do need to check my weekend call list though. I may be the boss (so they tell me) but I have to do my part of working ever 4th weekend. I can swap with someone else if I know early enough.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Will a GoldWing transmission hold up for 1000 miles in 4th gear?:joke:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will a GoldWing transmission hold up for 1000 miles in 4th gear?:joke:
Joe, probably. But you could get real bold and put 'er in 5th.....she'll lug along fine in high gear at about 30 mph. I know that'll be pushing it, but that's what life's all about....:lol:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be up for this in May or June. Just let me kmow. Vic

Will keep you posted here as we decide on something.

Where are you located?

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Bob, I have just put on 5k miles on the bike. My butt is now ready for a long trip...consider me a strong possible, depending on the final date you go with. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Ken

·
Registered
227 Posts
not hot enough yet in april?

Bob,I got fried coming back from the house last Sunday in Cape Carteret.Rode back to the place in Winston via 24-40-55-421 then hwy 64.I haven't had a chance to meet folks here yet but plan to this summer.After 4 back surgeries the Iron butt is a bit much for me in a weekend.Good luck on the ride

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, guess it's time to set up a real date to do this thing.

I'm good for June 6, 13 or 27. June 20 will be the Smoky Mtn. Ride In, so that date is out.

There's an SS1K event in Charlotte on June 27, but it doesn't work out for me to start and end in Charlotte, so that's out for me.

I plan to run the route I posted earlier in this thread.

Who else wants to go and which date is best for you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts