GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how you guys ride in the heat. We left NC Saturday and made it to Fort Smith, AR and the weather was great never made it above 94. But Sunday we left Fort Smith and rode through Oklahoma and Texas before getting to Clovis,New Mexico and most of the day it was 108. I felt like I was riding with a hair dryer blowing in my face. I am ready to get back to North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have to think about riding in December when many other bikes are put up for the winter.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I don't know how you guys ride in the heat. We left NC Saturday and made it to Fort Smith, AR and the weather was great never made it above 94. But Sunday we left Fort Smith and rode through Oklahoma and Texas before getting to Clovis,New Mexico and most of the day it was 108. I felt like I was riding with a hair dryer blowing in my face. I am ready to get back to North Carolina.[/QUOTE

Full face and close the shield.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Make sure the a/c vents down by your knees are pointing up at you. Makes all the difference.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Friday saw 117F coming through Phoenix and again north of Tucson, easy riding just takes a little knowledge of how to stay cool.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its not hard riding in heat really, drink plenty of fluid, Gatoraid, Powerade or water. Also dress for the heat. Drink smart, dress smart and ride smart.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The only way we get by here is to wear cooling vests and cooling neck wraps. That's especially true if we are riding all day or about anytime in the afternoons. Temps don't fall much below the day's high until the sun goes down. Yeah, when the wind is hot, it really sucks the moisture and the energy out of you. We stop more often and find a shady place with a breeze or a place where we can go inside for a bit and cool off some. The cooling vests really work well in the heat ... we could not ride without them!! And we (my wife and I) each have a large Butler cup mounted within reach. We top them off with ice and water at each stop, and we take a sip or two from the straws pretty often. It works better for us to drink a swallow or two every few miles than to try to drink a lot at a stop. Plus having the ice in the cups keeps the water really cool, and it feels good going down ... also helps keep internal body temps in the safe range. We are surprised at how well the Butler cups keep ice in the heat. They ain't pretty, but when you ride in the heat we have, pretty don't count for much!!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
It's my weight reduction plan. Lots of H2O.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It's my weight reduction plan. Lots of H2O.
So that's how I lost some of the extra pounds :).

Rich A, you headed this way or turning around for home?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Its not hard riding in heat really, drink plenty of fluid, Gatoraid, Powerade or water. Also dress for the heat. Drink smart, dress smart and ride smart.
Besides drinking lots of fluids, wearing cooling vests and using a full face helmet with the shield closed (what the responses have been so far), what else do you suggest--specifically regarding dressing smart, riding smart? Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Besides drinking lots of fluids, wearing cooling vests and using a full face helmet with the shield closed (what the responses have been so far), what else do you suggest--specifically regarding dressing smart, riding smart? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Lose the mesh, lose the jeans, wear a good textile riding suit i.e. Motoport Kelvar or a 'Stich with LDComfort long sleeve t-shirt and tights under the riding suit. BTW, LDComfort works better than a cooling vest. When it is hot, have a means to re-wet the LDC or plan on stopping to re-wet every 45 min to an hour. When it is really hot, a LDC helmet liner is very nice to wear. Good motorcycle boots and solid leather gloves will keep your feet and hands from burning. Control and limit the airflow. Have cool water available to drink while riding, I can ride across the desert in the heat of the afternoon with just normal fluid intake because I know how to stay cool but I still have plenty of cool water available if needed. Know your body, some are less heat tolerant than others, if you think you are going to die when it is 85F then you should think about shutting it down durning the heat of the day and riding nights and early morning.

With good gear and a little knowledge you can handle anything the desert throws at you in comfort, missing either one you can get in trouble very quickly when the temps go much above 110F.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So that's how I lost some of the extra pounds :).

Rich A, you headed this way or turning around for home?
We are going to spend a few days with our daughter at Cannon AFB and then go to the Grand Cayon and back to NC.

Sounds like I wasn't dressed correct for this area I had jeans on but we did buy some white sport shirts for high temp day but I have a open 3/4 helmet and that was most of the problem.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
We are going to spend a few days with our daughter at Cannon AFB and then go to the Grand Cayon and back to NC.

Sounds like I wasn't dressed correct for this area I had jeans on but we did buy some white sport shirts for high temp day but I have a open 3/4 helmet and that was most of the problem.
Welcome to the desert, it's a great place to ride year around. Hope you are planning on visiting the North Rim, the whole of Southern Utah is spectacular. Northern AZ ain't too bad either :).

It's counter intuitive but as it gets hotter you need to cover-up more. Block the wind and find some "wicking" underwear and long sleeve t-shirts. UnderArmor is better than cotton, not as good as LDComfort but you can find 'em in any sports outlet.

I haven't tried it but a cotton long sleeve t-shirt over a UA one should work kinda like LDC, keep the cotton one wet and you should be able to ride in reasonable comfort.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The only way we get by here is to wear cooling vests and cooling neck wraps. That's especially true if we are riding all day or about anytime in the afternoons. Temps don't fall much below the day's high until the sun goes down. Yeah, when the wind is hot, it really sucks the moisture and the energy out of you. We stop more often and find a shady place with a breeze or a place where we can go inside for a bit and cool off some. The cooling vests really work well in the heat ... we could not ride without them!! And we (my wife and I) each have a large Butler cup mounted within reach. We top them off with ice and water at each stop, and we take a sip or two from the straws pretty often. It works better for us to drink a swallow or two every few miles than to try to drink a lot at a stop. Plus having the ice in the cups keeps the water really cool, and it feels good going down ... also helps keep internal body temps in the safe range. We are surprised at how well the Butler cups keep ice in the heat. They ain't pretty, but when you ride in the heat we have, pretty don't count for much!!

:agree::agree::agree: ditto...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Two words, " KEWL VEST".:thumbup:

I had no luck with Kewl vest after 15-20 minutes of riding. Maybe I'm not doing things right.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I had no luck with Kewl vest after 15-20 minutes of riding. Maybe I'm not doing things right.
Dan,

I expect you are doing it right. My experience with evaporative vests and phase change vests is they do not work very well for my type of riding. Admittedly I have not used either for several years and they may have improved so I could be wrong and if a rider tends to do a lot of short legs with frequent stops then either might be an OK option.

Phase change and evaporative vests share a common problem, limited time of useful cooling and needing to be stopped to re-charge the system. Once either has reached its cooling limit it will be very uncomfortable until re-charged, much more so than no vest at all. Another smaller problem with vests is; from experience, I have found most of the evaporative cooling effect comes from the sleeve area.....wait for it :), vests don't have sleeves.

For my riding the underwear, tights and long sleeve t-shirt, from LDComfort works much better than anything else I've tried, add in a LDC helmet liner when really hot, electrics for when it is cold, and you can tackle almost anything the gods throw at you. LDC will keep you warmer in the cold, cooler when hot, and drier when wet. When riding in hot WX LDC is very easy to re-charge while riding and the long sleeve t-shirt has....again wait for it :), sleeves.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
After experiencing the LDComfort ride, and reading favorable posts, I see no reason to mess with what seems to work.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
After experiencing the LDComfort ride, and reading favorable posts, I see no reason to mess with what seems to work.
I'm heading for NC (Brevard) from San Antonio on Saturday. I'll be wearing my LDComfort gear and helmet liner. Closing the full face helmet and minimizing air flow is the key, as counterintuitive as it sounds. I was a skeptic until I tried it.......now I'm a believer!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts