GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope to make it to Portland or Seattle area end of August to first part of September. Interested in feedback on opinions of "must see" areas between Tulsa and Portland area. I have a maximum of 16 days to do this. It doesn't take me long to see something so won't stop for long anywhere. I do want to go through Glacier Park Road to the Sun again. Maybe Beartooth pass again as well. Not really interested in the Black Hills, Yellowstone, or Arches in Utah. Been to all of those the past 2 years. All are pretty but would rather make time and get to other spots. Probably take a more northern route going and more southern coming back. I absolutely LOVE Zion but was there and Grand Canyon and Bryce last year and going those 3 places again in June. I expect I need to average 400 to 500 miles per day but that's ok....it's a Goldwing and my wife and I did exactly that 2 years ago going to Yellowstone and Glacier. I don't plan on making any reservations and will turn around when I've used 7 to 8 days. Most likely pull trailer and take camping gear for some of the nights.
Thanks for any responses. I want to make some "rough" travel plans but I am extremely flexible...one huge plus when you travel by yourself.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
East of Portland there is a scenic highway south of the interstate. The highlight for us was the Vista House at Crown point.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's something to think about, adjust to your liking. http://goo.gl/maps/WUz5p
You gave me some great suggestions last year for my trip back from Arches, Utah. Thanks. I have taken the road from here to Gunnison many time on Atv trips.
Looking forward for Montana, Idaho and Oregon the most. Just takes a while to get there.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was up that way, Sept. 2012. I really enjoyed Hwy 12 west out of Missoula MT to Lewiston.
Thanks
People keep telling me how I shouldn't do this (~7,000 miles) in 2 weeks by myself. It just doesn't bother me. Have done several over 3,000 miles that included hikes I probably shouldn't have risked, but I'm just not too concerned. Of course I have a little different outlook on life than many do. I do have a "SPOT" and will activate it so friends and family know where I'm at. Some say I need to find at least another bike to go along.... Again, I much prefer to drive by myself and not be concerned about others capabilities and patience. I can only be upset at myself, and I do this to "get away from others" in the first place. I am really looking forward to this season.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Just a thought, maybe someone to ride parts of it with you not the whole trip? It's nice to have somebody with you in case of breakdowns or something and they can chase parts or whatever to help. Whatever ya decide, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks
I much prefer to drive by myself and not be concerned about others capabilities and patience. I can only be upset at myself, and I do this to "get away from others" in the first place. I am really looking forward to this season.
I agree 100000%, my kind of ride!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks
People keep telling me how I shouldn't do this (~7,000 miles) in 2 weeks by myself. It just doesn't bother me. Have done several over 3,000 miles that included hikes I probably shouldn't have risked, but I'm just not too concerned. Of course I have a little different outlook on life than many do. I do have a "SPOT" and will activate it so friends and family know where I'm at. Some say I need to find at least another bike to go along.... Again, I much prefer to drive by myself and not be concerned about others capabilities and patience. I can only be upset at myself, and I do this to "get away from others" in the first place. I am really looking forward to this season.
525 miles today and turnaround and go back in the morning. In Murray, KY to pickup new Hannigan GL trailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts