GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed that an hour or so after the end of a long ride, my neck starts really tightening up. I don’t notice any discomfort during the ride. Even after 200-300 miles I feel very comfortable on the bike. It’s only hours after the ride that I notice my neck getting tight.

I have the Ultimate seat and backrest, Tulsa x-tall shield and stock bars.

I’m wondering if risers might help, or whether I’m getting some back flow over the shield causing pressure on my neck, so maybe a different shield?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Before you try that, you might want to install a set of handlebar risers. These will move the handlebars up and a bit back, and depending on the model you choose, might change the angle of the bars so your hands are in a more comfortable and natural angle. When I had Rio, between the custom Diamond seat, handlebar risers and Kuryakyn grips, I got it so there was no pain whatsoever in my neck or upper back.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
393 Posts
This happens to me in cold weather riding. It goes away. Kmart sells these warming pads that you shake in the air and they get warm. I like to put one of those on the inside of my jacket in the area I get the pain when its below 20.
Glen

·
Registered
977 Posts
Is it possible that you are tense, without realizing it, and holding yourself more rigidly upright?

Try concentrating on easing back onto your seat - with ELBOWS DOWN and relaxed INWARD!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wht H-man said. I am new to the GW and find myself riding like I did on my v65 sabre. Takes me about 10 miles before i realize it, the i relax and it is all comfy after that.

Joe

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In case it is tension related, try these exercises:
before you start, tense neck and shoulder muscles (without lifting the shoulders) as hard as you can and hold for 3 seconds. Do this 3 times. Repeat every couple of hours during the ride. It may look silly but after tensing/realease, swing your arms in a circle a couple of times, rotating at the shoulder.

As your body learns not to tense up, you can reduce the frequency of the exercises over time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I get that in my neck but my problem is called arthritis........my C4 thru C6 neck vertebrae get jacked up especially in cold weather while riding the Wing. I keep my windshield vent cracked open to kill the negative pressure that pushes at your back with the vent closed and this helps to keep the discomfort to a minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts