GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on 3/4 helmets. I have always used full face Arai helmets and am now looking for some 3/4 helmets to use to do some headset testing in. I don't have much experience with 3/4 helmets so I would like some feedback from those who use them.

I don't really want to get Arai or Shoei as they are too expensive for my purposes. I am currently looking at the HJC AC-3 and the CL-31 models.

Anyone have any suggestions for good brands of 3/4 helmets under $100 or web sites that sell them at discounts?

·
Registered
561 Posts
My wife and I both have the HJC AC-3 model and love them! It's the first helmet I've worn which was comfortable enough to convert me to a permanent helmet wearer. (I used to ride regularly without.) It doesn't cut off my hearing or my peripheral vision and is built to take a headset communication install.

(And now, Stormbringer waits, smoking a cigar while donning his flame retardant suit, while the Full-Face Helmet Nazi's gear up their rhetoric to explain why we are all fools to wear anything but a full face helmet {complete with fire extinguisher, satellite transponder and ABS - just in case you land on your head on a wet road.}) :a13:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fred the wife and I are both using the HJC AC-3 helmets. We have used other brand and found this to be the best at any price for us. One thing I like is it comes with a built in visor but you can get a flip up face shield for it for about 15.00. It is real easy to switch out, you can't use the visor and the shield at the same time because they connect at the same point. It is also the only one that I have found that allows you to use either one. This helmet has gotten real good reviews and I think you would like it if fits your head shape like any other helmet. The Helmet Shop has them for 97.00 which is about as good as you will fine. I think I paid somethink like a 120.00 at a ralley. Helmet Shop http://www.helmetshop.com/

Panther

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Fred,

I have to agree with the posts above.

Wife and I both have the HJC AC3's and really like them. The easily adjustable shields are great for controling air flow. Swapping from visor tho shield is easy. I use the visor until the H2O drops start falling from the sky. :lol:

They are easy to break in, comfortable and fit us both well.

The only problem we have is getting the headset speakers to stay in position when they line up with the ears. The strap interferes with proper speaker location. I have been looking at modifying the J&M velcro attachments to something a little more sturdy to help the situation. Have not come up with an idea I really like yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have to agree about the HJC AC3. The best 3/4 helmet I've owned. Has speaker pockets built into the helmet. I keep my shield on all the time. Went to Walmart and bought some car windshield sun screen, cut it to cover the front half of the shield. Goes on with a little soap and water. When the shield is up it acts as a sun screen. In the down position I look thru the clear top part don't have to change anything out.
Randy
Concord, NC

·
Registered
368 Posts
The HJC AC3 fits me better and is more comfortable for me than the more expensive helmets. As always with helmets, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yes one more vote for the HJC AC3 . I've tried a number of helmets on since I've had mine and I can't find one that fits or feels better. Even the high dollar models.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Stormbringer said:
My wife and I both have the HJC AC-3 model and love them! It's the first helmet I've worn which was comfortable enough to convert me to a permanent helmet wearer. (I used to ride regularly without.) It doesn't cut off my hearing or my peripheral vision and is built to take a headset communication install.

(And now, Stormbringer waits, smoking a cigar while donning his flame retardant suit, while the Full-Face Helmet Nazi's gear up their rhetoric to explain why we are all fools to wear anything but a full face helmet {complete with fire extinguisher, satellite transponder and ABS - just in case you land on your head on a wet road.}) :a13:
Now you're goin' to hell fer sure. :lol: :lol: :lol: Wait a minute...I wear a half helmet. Where does that leave me. :no:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Get a flip front (Vega or Zeus, because of price)
Then flip the front up.

Best of both worlds

·
Registered
386 Posts
Jmac and I wear the Vega Vista. It's very comfortable and comes with a visor and shield. It's comparable to the HJC AC-3 but you can usually find it about $20 cheaper. I compared both before I bought and found them both to be equally comfortable so I opted for the Vega because they are color matched to the 1800 and we're a little cheaper.

just MHO

TBB

·
Registered
67 Posts
3/4 helmet

HJC AC-3 for us also, it may not be the best but it is the most comfortable and meets all the safety standards.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Intersting comments.

We wear full face Arai's. With the heat here in AZ , we are talking about 3/4 helmets for the summer.

I will look at the HJC AC-3

·
Registered
619 Posts
Fred,
HJC AC-3 that's what was reccomended to me also and I love it. I also put in the J&M 374 audio...that was the only helmet from HJC that J&M said was ok to put it in.....my dealer wouldn't put the headset in unless J&M said it was ok??????? I have 2 Shoei..full face and a flip up but I always now wear the 3/4 unless the weather is bad I go to the flip up..

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts