GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I am new here and could sure use your help. My 2012 Gl1800 with only 32,000 miles (54,000 km) on it broke a connecting rod and the head tech said to look for a motor from a crashed bike. It would be cheaper than fixing mine. I am located in Alberta and the bike is in a shop in Calgary. If any of you know of a motor or of where to contact or browse for one I would sure appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks !!!
:cool:

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
2012 - 2017 engines same, so you can expand your search. Google motorcycle salvage yards, good luck and hopefully someone here "knows a guy". 😉

·
Administrator
4,153 Posts
Big Brown I can't help with a motor but can you tell us what happened to cause the connecting rod to break?

Glen

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Brown I can't help with a motor but can you tell us what happened to cause the connecting rod to break?

Glen
I have no idea at this time what caused it. If I find out I will post that information.

BB I called three salvage yards down this way for a 2012-2017 motor. Struck out. But I did notice this place but didn't call them. One comment said this about them...

Absolutely wonderful place to go friendly staff and very helpful for all of your Honda Goldwing needs"

Thanks million I will contact them right away !!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Please keep us all posted if you do get your motor ok?

Ronnie

Reactions: PD III

·
Registered
263 Posts
Can’t you use any GL1800 from 2001 to 2017? I did not know of any difference? If you can use all the years I listed? Maybe consider buying a whole bike for 3-5 K and save some of the spares and part out the rest or sell the rest to a salvage yard? Good luck. D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please keep us all posted if you do get your motor ok?

Ronnie
Will do !1
Can’t you use any GL1800 from 2001 to 2017? I did not know of any difference? If you can use all the years I listed? Maybe consider buying a whole bike for 3-5 K and save some of the spares and part out the rest or sell the rest to a salvage yard? Good luck. D
Thanks, I am checking that with the head tech this morning.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
You might want to focus on a 2014-2017 engine. 2014 had an improved transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, it turns out that only the 2012 - 2016 engines will work, too many changes from the other years.
Ron
Big Brown

·
Registered
193 Posts
Give Greens Motorcycle salvage a call. They had a few Goldwings in the past. They are in Milwood,Ky 270 789 8979

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
Thanks guys, it turns out that only the 2012 - 2016 engines will work, too many changes from the other years.
Ron
Big Brown
I really doubt there were any changes between the 2012-2016 and the 2017 other than the transmission changes in 2014. I have been wrong before...

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
I have a question, is the Valkerie engine the same as the Goldwing ?
Good question. I always thought it was the same engine and frame but it's possible they aren't. Might have different mounting points? I really don't know for sure. 😐

·
Vendor
19,445 Posts
Hi Folks, I am new here and could sure use your help. My 2012 Gl1800 with only 32,000 miles (54,000 km) on it broke a connecting rod and the head tech said to look for a motor from a crashed bike.
I too would like more information. Were you riding it when this happened ??? What happened ... passing a semi in 4th and accidently shifted into 3rd instead of 5th, and ended up with a loud knocking noise ??? How was a broken rod diagnosed ???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I too would like more information. Were you riding it when this happened ??? What happened ... passing a semi in 4th and accidently shifted into 3rd instead of 5th, and ended up with a loud knocking noise ??? How was a broken rod diagnosed ???
I was riding it and cruising along at about 60 mph when I noticed a rumble coming from the exhaust and couldn't accelerate, dropped my speed and then accelerated back up to 60 but couldn't go beyond that. Then slowed down to take a turn and as I got into the turn tried to accelerate in the turn but the engine just quit. I coasted around the turn and into a turn-out and the engine would turn over but not fire. 6 hours later it fired up but made a horrible noise so I shut it down right away. Had it towed to the Honda dealer and they have torn it down and told me to find a used engine as it will be cheaper than trying to fix mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts