GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor
19,445 Posts
I was riding it and cruising along at about 60 mph when I noticed a rumble coming from the exhaust and couldn't accelerate, dropped my speed and then accelerated back up to 60 but couldn't go beyond that. Then slowed down to take a turn and as I got into the turn tried to accelerate in the turn but the engine just quit. I coasted around the turn and into a turn-out and the engine would turn over but not fire. 6 hours later it fired up but made a horrible noise so I shut it down right away. Had it towed to the Honda dealer and they have torn it down and told me to find a used engine as it will be cheaper than trying to fix mine.
Thanks for the update. Yours is the first I've heard of with this problem. What kind of oil were you using, and was the oil level full enough ??? Actually, I should ask what kind of oil filter too ???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the update. Yours is the first I've heard of with this problem. What kind of oil were you using, and was the oil level full enough ??? Actually, I should ask what kind of oil filter too ???
The oil and filter had just been changed at Vegas Powersports in Las Vegas and I checked it and it was full and clean when the engine quit.

·
Vendor
19,445 Posts
The oil and filter had just been changed at Vegas Powersports in Las Vegas and I checked it and it was full and clean when the engine quit.
My guess is that it would have a m/c specific oil, and an oil filter cataloged for your application. I'm just trying to imagine what failed and why.

Sorry, more questions, had your reverse been working ??? Did the shop say anything about your oil chain being broke ???

It's hard to beleive there were no symptoms other then what you wrote in the OP.

As for engines ... any from a 2006-17 GL1800 will work. However, depending on the year you get, your throttle body might need to be transfered to the new engine. Keep in mind that 2014 - 17 did have a gear design change for 4th and 5th, and some engines are blacked out while others are not. F6b's and Valkyries didn't have reverse.

·
Vendor
19,445 Posts
I was riding it and cruising along at about 60 mph when I noticed a rumble coming from the exhaust and couldn't accelerate, dropped my speed and then accelerated back up to 60 but couldn't go beyond that. Then slowed down to take a turn and as I got into the turn tried to accelerate in the turn but the engine just quit. I coasted around the turn and into a turn-out and the engine would turn over but not fire. 6 hours later it fired up but made a horrible noise so I shut it down right away. Had it towed to the Honda dealer and they have torn it down and told me to find a used engine as it will be cheaper than trying to fix mine.
Is yours a trike, or maybe one with a sidecar, or hauling, or towing excessive weight, or all of the above ??? Towing a camper trailer with builtin a/c ???

Sorry ... generally speaking, 5th gens are really tough machine, and I'm looking for the answer to "why" this happened.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My guess is that it would have a m/c specific oil, and an oil filter cataloged for your application. I'm just trying to imagine what failed and why.

Sorry, more questions, had your reverse been working ??? Did the shop say anything about your oil chain being broke ???

It's hard to beleive there were no symptoms other then what you wrote in the OP.

As for engines ... any from a 2006-17 GL1800 will work. However, depending on the year you get, your throttle body might need to be transfered to the new engine. Keep in mind that 2014 - 17 did have a gear design change for 4th and 5th, and some engines are blacked out while others are not. F6b's and Valkyries didn't have reverse.
The bike had run perfectly from Vegas all the way until about 12 miles from Lethbridge Alberta when it did as I explained. As for the oil etc. Vegas Powersports were very professional and went way out of their way to get me on the road. I would re commend them 100% to any one needing work done in the Las Vegas area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Is yours a trike, or maybe one with a sidecar, or hauling, or towing excessive weight, or all of the above ??? Towing a camper trailer with builtin a/c ???

Sorry ... generally speaking, 5th gens are really tough machine, and I'm looking for the answer to "why" this happened.
It is a trike and I pull a trailer, No A/C. I am still waiting for more info from the tech working on it. Will update when I have more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, more questions, had your reverse been working ???
Not trying to hijack this thread but looking for info to search on this topic. Would reverse not working properly indicate a possible problem with something in the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi Folks, I am new here and could sure use your help. My 2012 Gl1800 with only 32,000 miles (54,000 km) on it broke a connecting rod and the head tech said to look for a motor from a crashed bike. It would be cheaper than fixing mine. I am located in Alberta and the bike is in a shop in Calgary. If any of you know of a motor or of where to contact or browse for one I would sure appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks !!!
:cool:
Try Bike Strippers in Melbourne Florida.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have found an engine, it is a 2010 and I have been assured that by using my intake and throttle body on it that it will work for my bike. It only has 37,000 KM's on it, about 23,000 miles. Got it from a top rated seller on ebay at a really fair price. I would like to thank all who have responded to my call for help, your responses really helped me at a time of need for support and hope !!! I will post what I find out about the cause of the breakdown. All I know right now from actually seeing it is that the spark plug from the middle left cylinder was smashed. I have never seen a plug that looked like that in over 50 years of being involved with mechanics !!! So as I said I will update as I find answers.
Thanks again !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I talked to the service manager last week and he said that I actually had to pistons let go. Apparently the wrist pins let go on both pistons. Don't know why that would happen but am not going to spend more money to find out. I will ask the technician/mechanic when I get a chance to talk to him but for now I am just hoping that they get the bike back together and running well soon. Thanks to all who have replied to my call for help, it is nice to know there a good people out there willing to help.
Ron aka Big Brown

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,981 Posts
I talked to the service manager last week and he said that I actually had to pistons let go. Apparently the wrist pins let go on both pistons. Don't know why that would happen but am not going to spend more money to find out. I will ask the technician/mechanic when I get a chance to talk to him but for now I am just hoping that they get the bike back together and running well soon. Thanks to all who have replied to my call for help, it is nice to know there a good people out there willing to help.
Ron aka Big Brown
Oil starvation is probably the cause. The wrist pins are at the end of the oil flow from the pump and will go quickly if there’s any loss of flow due to the constant stress they’re under. Have the tech check the oil filter for defective filter material and ask him if the oil pump and it’s driving chain were still functioning. This is definitely a one in a million failure, never heard or seen one do that. Closest I know of was a 2002 that had the clip from the ADG break and fall into the oil pump chain, breaking it at highway speed. The almost instant loss of oil pressure combined with the engine rpms ruined the engine.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts