GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seat on Gold Wing is uncomfortable. What is the best? anyone copared the saddle man and kurykn touring seats?
Thanks Harold

·
Registered
948 Posts
By far, a Russell Day Long custom seat. Expensive but worth every penny. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
My seat on Gold Wing is uncomfortable. What is the best? anyone copared the saddle man and kurykn touring seats?
Thanks Harold
Do yourself a favor, b4 you go drop 700 ******* go to wallyworld and by a 19.99 car jell pad, they fit the wing near perfect and are better than any replacement seat or custom insert out there, JMHO but it could pay for a nice little trip, I put 20k on one last year and it was a dream I retired it to the wall of shame and bought another in the spring, it not my Idea just passin it along:bow:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do yourself a favor, b4 you go drop 700 ******* go to wallyworld and by a 19.99 car jell pad, they fit the wing near perfect and are better than any replacement seat or custom insert out there, JMHO but it could pay for a nice little trip, I put 20k on one last year and it was a dream I retired it to the wall of shame and bought another in the spring, it not my Idea just passin it along:bow:
In 100 % agreement, in fact was in Wally World today and saw they had some in ( sometimes hard to find) bought 2 more!

Semper Fi Bob!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
889 Posts
My considered opinion, if you are gonna spend the money to buy a new seat, spend your money on a Russell Day Long Saddle. I'm riding my third one, third only because the first two I rode will not fit on my current ride. Each time I changed bikes (or trikes), my butt and my wife's butt immediately cried out for the Russell. I've been riding them since about 2004 for many thousands of miles. For me, there is no other choice for a seat. If your seat intrudes on your riding experience, it's worth serious money to cure that. Perhaps if you do not ride many longer distances, it is not such a big problem, but for me, if I ride from breakfast to lunch, and especially from breakfast to suppertime, it is a big deal. It's hard to spend the money up front, but I have not regretted a dollar I've spent on the Day Long, and this after spending dollars on other solutions and seats.

Best part is that, in addition to the fact that they make the seat to fit you personally, not a generic fit, if they cannot satisfy you after you give them two opportunities to change the seat to satisfy you within a specified time period, they will buy it back. That's a pretty good guarantee, I think! I fully expect this Day Long I'm riding now to satisfy my butt for as long as I am able to ride at this point in time in my life.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks Harold
Harold, what is uncomfortable about your seat? The stock Goldwing seat made my crotch go numb. Don't laugh; it wasn't funny as it sounds. I used a Corbin on my last three motorcycles and now I can't use one any longer because of tailbone issues. I put a AirHawk on my seat and the problems went away. But, I don't like the way is looks. I am still using it though. It all depends on your issues. Here is a method for fixing your stock seat without investing $600 to $1300. Good luck!
http://www.zipsicle.com/wing/seatmod/wingseatmod.asp

·
Registered
343 Posts
For ME the $60.00 I paid to have my friend in Dallas area rework my seat was the solution I needed..While it may not be perfect it worked for me. Do a search for Low Cost seat modification and you will see in the link what he does. This may not be the solution for everybody but I dont even need my Wally World Gel Pad anymore. ($40.00 for non heated seats)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wally World Gel Pad

How do you attach it to the seat?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wally World Pad

How do you attach it to the seat?

I keep mine in place with substantial butt pressure..:22yikes:

Seriously, it just sits there, I kinda like the fact that I can adjust it as needed, not the perfect solution, but works for now.

I have found you can loop the handle part under the nose of the seat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I keep mine in place with substantial butt pressure..:22yikes:

Seriously, it just sits there, I kinda like the fact that I can adjust it as needed, not the perfect solution, but works for now.

I have found you can loop the handle part under the nose of the seat.

Yup fits like it was made for the wing seat, carrying handle slips under nose of the seat, the bike seat:eek:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The guys told U the truth about the Wally World pad.

I have one. After 200 miles, I may even throw it in the trunk and ride the oem seat without it, but I can then return to the pad when I want to. A buddy of mine said he had bought a Russell Day Long and was completely dissatisfied with it. (No, I don't know what he did with it, so don't ask what he wants for it), so be careful and go the cheap way FIRST.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
:agree:Ditto the Wally World seat cushion. Bought one the other day based on reviews on this board. Took short 30 mile ride yesterday and liked it. Will get a better test later this week when I deliver my bike to the trike installer. For $20 bucks it's hard to beat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wally Seat

Yup fits like it was made for the wing seat, carrying handle slips under nose of the seat, the bike seat:eek:
I did some cutting on mine today, took out some at the nose where my legs go down, heading out for Ding 33 in the AM, will report back with results, also got one for the wifey to try.

Semper Fi Bob

Hope to meet some of ya'll at the Ding.....................:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another idea....

Here is another idea. I have both an Air Hawk air cushion and the WalMart gell seat. When the butt starts to hurt I switch the cushions and this seems to work great for me. Rode over 700 miles from Omaha Nebraska to Pueblo, Colorado nonstop, switching cushions at each fuel stop. Even a slight change in pressure seems to make a difference and you can't beat the price of the Wally World gel cushion (about $20.00)

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Don't any of you stand on your pegs every now and then? For the last 40 odd years when my butt starts getting tired I simply stand up for a while and let the wind whistle through my britches for a few miles cooling off the boys and giving my ample arse some air as well. After a few minutes I can sit back down feeling much refreshed. This is one reason that I enjoy the backroads so much because at freeway speeds it is a lot harder to stand on the pegs when you have 75 MPH wind trying to blow you off your bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wally World Gel Seat

In which department does one find the gel seat? Is there a specific product title or stock number?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
By far, a Russell Day Long custom seat. Expensive but worth every penny. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I have tried virtually every type of pad. Only the AirHawk pad really made a difference.

Ultimately it was the Russell saddle that really eased my comfort problem. Some of us just have non OEM tailbone anatomy. But I don't know about the new 2012 saddle...I hear it is different and better.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Here's the answer to uncomfortable seats.

Before up get on the bike put 4 of 5 big rocks in your back pockets.

Every 2 hours, throw a rock away. At the end of the day you'll be comfortable.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Here's the answer to uncomfortable seats.

Before up get on the bike put 4 of 5 big rocks in your back pockets.

Every 2 hours, throw a rock away. At the end of the day you'll be comfortable.
LOL, :wrong::thumbup:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I never thought of that approach to the problem. And I spent all that money on my RDL...
:eek:4:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts