GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I ride a 18 Tour. I have tried the stock seat, terrible Honda should be ashamed. I tried a Wingsoft, much better but still somewhat lacking. Corbin, VERY comfortable but set me back farther than stock, i'm short, caused me to hunch over even with risers. After an hour developed a painful "catch" under my ribcage. I am now considering a Russell Day Long. Have heard great things but... am a little gun shy. Here is the favor I'm asking for. If you have an RDL on a 18 or 19 and live within 200-300 mi of Jacksonville/St Augustine Florida and are willing to meet me halfway so I can at least sit on one before I commit, I'll buy lunch. Or if you have an RDL on an 18-19 and are going to BikeWeek in Daytona, I'll meet you there for lunch and again if I can sit on your bike on the centerstand I'll buy lunch.

I did not post this in the Florida sub forum cause someone could be in Georgia or coming to BikeWeek and wouldn't see it in the Florida sub forum.

Thanks in advance

Bill

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
RDL's are custom made to your specs so some one else's seat would probably not be what your seat will feel like. I guess it's worth a lunch but I don't think you should bank on the info. Have you tried Hartco/Diamond? They will custom fit you and they are in FLA.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RDL's are custom made to your specs so some one else's seat would probably not be what your seat will feel like. I guess it's worth a lunch but I don't think you should bank on the info. Have you tried Hartco/Diamond? They will custom fit you and they are in FLA.
Thanks, I know there will be slight differences but I still want to try one. Especially see if the front is wider than is comfortable for me. I stopped into Hartco, they want over $1500.00 for one of their seats. RDL is only about $800.00. A grand is about my limit. To those that think that 1500 is reasonable, more power to you. Just not for me. If the RDL doesn't work I will use my Wingsoft with the Airhawk.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have had many different saddles made. Laam, Mayer, etc. My wife is very picky when it comes to saddles. She has NEVER complained about the comfort of a RDL. I cannot recommend them enough. I see very few used RDL saddles, when I do the person is selling the bike separately.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I stopped into Hartco, they want over $1500.00 for one of their seats. RDL is only about $800.00.
Are you SURE you're doing an apples to apples comparison? And IIRC, RDL needs your seat pan. I don't think Hartco does.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Bill, don't wait. I tried and spent a ton of money for every seat made for my first '06 Goldwing. Then grew a brain and did the RDL and never looked back. When I bought my '12, the RDL was the first item ordered and again, never looked back. The best seat made. As long as RDL is in business I'll never have another MC without a Russell-Day-Long seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you order your RDL, they want you to take pictures of yourself & passenger on the seat in "riding position" so they can determine the right fit for YOU. Those pics will tell them how to make the seat for YOUR optimal comfort... which might mean back further or not compared to another rider with different dimensions as you...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments but no offers to try one out yet. I know they are built for each Rider but I'm not buying one till I sit on one. I guess my Wingsoft with an Airhawk will have to suffice.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ultimate Seats has a showroom 50 miles south of you in Ormand Beach. Might be worth a ride to try one out. I love mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts