GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past couple of months I have noticed a popping sound in the audio system (both headset and speakers) every time I hit a fair size bump in the road (railroad tracks, etc.).

By turning off different elements I have pined it down to someplace in the CB area.

Has anyone else had this problem? Where do you suggest I start looking?

I can take it back to my dealer but they are 150 miles up the road. :(

Any help would be greatly accepted.

Ron Looney

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hey Ron,
I'm not a wrench of any sort but would suggest that you repost this on the Tech Board and you will probably get some input pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
On an 1800 an audio unit is used . The au processes the audio from the various sources, amplifies, switches and outputs them to the speakers, headsets and CB tx.

Does this occur with the CB turned OFF, intercom turned OFF, ?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I suggest removing the shelter and checking for loose/dirty connections. Especially the ground points at the frame. I would also remove and reseat all the related fuses.
I also thought that the audio unit was built into the same unit that the am/fm radio is in. You know, the thing on top of the shelter with all the buttons on top.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i learned a long time ago that corrosion and a little dirt can mess up any electrical equipment

i would give that a try before letting a dealer dig in there

loren

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you have the CB radio with the squelch set at I believe 15 and higher, it will stop. From what I understand, most of the bikes with the cb radio do it. Its probably something in the audio unit but I doubt if Honda is looking into it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Bring it to the dealer!

Yes, I would recommend pulling the shelter and looking for loose connections first, but you could have a loose connection almost anywhere. You could have it up in the audio control section on the handlebars, etc.

I accidentally drilled into my radio, blew a fuse, but thought I shorted my radio. Have you price it? If you do, you would not want to take any chance of not having it fixed under warranty! You can get the bike for $15,000. Over two of that is the audio system alone!

A pain in the butt, but I'd call the dealer, get it verbally registered between you and your sales rep and mechanic and see what they advise, they hit the dealer and this comes from somone who installed Polk speakers and a 400 watt sound system on his bike!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Morph

I started with every thing(FM, Intercom, CB) on, vol at 15 on audio, intercom at 10.

I then started turning off different elements. Nothing changed until I turned off the CB and then no popping.

I repeated all that with the radio off and the AUX on.

That is reason I feel it is in the CB Someplace.

Ron

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Ron,

Try to re-create the noise while the CB is recieving a strong signal. Have a nearby CB keyed up while you tap on things. Watch the LCD display closely to see if there is any indicators that flash ON or OFF when you get the noise pops.

Also you could do the same thing without a signal, and with the squech completley open.

I'm not sure yet what that may prove but maybe we'll think of more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts