GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a cinder block fall off a truck in front of me yesterday and I missed it with everything but the left side engine guard. Broke it(cracked in two places).

I have gone through my maintenance manual and the on-line fiche and can not find the parts number or steps for removing/replacing.

Can someone head me in the right direction.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You can find the HDL parts fiche here: http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

It looks like the left engine guard is: GUARD, L. ENGINE: 62601-MCA-000

You may also need a couple of these: BOLT, FLANGE (8X25): 96300-08025-00

I wasn't sure of your model year, though I think the engine guard is the same for all. If you can't figure out the web-ordering, give HDL a call.

For help or to place a telephone order, call (828)693-1011 or one of our toll-free numbers: (888)693-1011.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I hope this helps. The service manual is very sparce on info on them, but they seem to be jsut a few bolts and they come off.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
tjshelton said:
You can find the HDL parts fiche here: http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

I wasn't sure of your model year, though I think the engine guard is the same for all. If you can't figure out the web-ordering, give HDL a call.

For help or to place a telephone order, call (828)693-1011 or one of our toll-free numbers: (888)693-1011.
As I recall from 1 1/2 years ago, the part numbers were different, depending on the year of you bike.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
betthe said:
tjshelton said:

As I recall from 1 1/2 years ago, the part numbers were different, depending on the year of you bike.
Which is a good reason to give the great folks at HDL a call. They'll make sure you get the right part.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There are 3 bolts that hole it on the bottom 2 are easy but the top one is a little tougher.

You need to take the front cowl off then the exhaust protector. Start with the top bolt. You need to put a 10 mm socket I think on a 1/4 drive extension and squeeze it between the the 2 rubber hoses in front.

That is the easy part the hard part is putting the bolt back in but not t to bad. In the revers put the 2 bottom ones in first that way it hold it in place for the top bolt..

Jamie

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Re: Re:

BobsGL1800 said:
I know this is an old post but why would the flange bolts need to be changed?
Think if you hit a concrete block hard enough to break a 1" steel tube may have had enough impact to bend a quarter inch bolt?

That would be like bending a wheel, and not looking at the lug nuts or axle bolts. But, many do........If ya can't see it, it ain't there....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts