GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Zumo 550 from Best Buy last Nov.
Long story short, it went defective and Best Buy cannot order a replacement. Is willing to but BB stopped carrying the 550 last Aug. When the supply was gone, they were gone for good! BB will give me all my money back for four more days then only a store credit.

My question it where is the best place (least costly) to reliably purchase a new one online?
Larry

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Get your money back and check out the new Zumo 660.....or wait until spring and see if the 550 goes on sale or has a price cut....some may sell their 550 to have the latest 660.....
here's a link to Garmin 660
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000#imageTab

patience grasshopper, you may get a deal.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Larry,

Good luck !

Oh and BTW, you don't need no stinkin gps !! Just point that bike South and come on down !!
hehehe, only 12 more Saturdays 'til retirement.
Already signed up for SS. (if there is anything left!)
Larry

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
If you call Garmin, I bet they would send you a new one. I have a 450 and it's the 2nd one I have had. The first one screwed up a couple of months after I bought it from an online dealer. I called them and they shipped one out that day and I shipped mine back with the return shipping label they provided with the new one. I got the new one in 2 days with no cost to me.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
There is a one year warranty on the units.
Get another from calling Garmin.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If you call Garmin, I bet they would send you a new one. .
I bought a (newly overhauled) GXM 30 thru Amazon.com and it was defective. I called Garmin and and was told "No Problem send it in and we will send a new one". 5 business days later it was on the bike and working.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you call Garmin, I bet they would send you a new one. I have a 450 and it's the 2nd one I have had. The first one screwed up a couple of months after I bought it from an online dealer. I called them and they shipped one out that day and I shipped mine back with the return shipping label they provided with the new one. I got the new one in 2 days with no cost to me.
Ya know John, I thought about calling Garmin before I went back to Best Buy. Thinking I'd have to box it up and pay shipping, I thought of checking in with BB first. After finding out they couldn't get anymore Zumo's and they'd only refund my money for three more days, (after that they will only give me a store credit) I went for the refund. Stupid me for not checking with Garmin first!

PCNation has it for $100 more than what I paid for it at BB. I may have to go that route. It's about $650+ some with free shipping at PCNation.
At TigerDirect it's $730 and NewEgg carries only the Zumo 450 for $500.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went online, found the best price that was out there, took it to Bass Pro Shop and they matched the price. Now if I have problem in the first year, I have a local place I can take it and save on shipping or waiting for the returned.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went online, found the best price that was out there, took it to Bass Pro Shop and they matched the price. Now if I have problem in the first year, I have a local place I can take it and save on shipping or waiting for the returned.
I was in Best Buy looking at something else and wandered over to the GPS area and chatted with a salesman discovering they no longer carried the Zumo 550. He checked their warehouses and found one in stock and was willing to order it for me at the $491 price. Must have been one of the last ones in their stock.

NO ONE carries them in stock around here. Garmin novie's but no Zumo's. The nearest Bass Pro Shop is a couple hundred miles away.
So far, PCNation has the best price I'm finding at $554 and free shipping via USPS.
Larry

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup, call garmin and get an rma

ship it back and you will get a new one, most likely a refurb, but it will work,a nd have the rest of your warranty as well
Yes, I did everything back a$$wards. I already returned it to Best Buy yesterday. I'll be at their door when the open later this morning and see if I can get it back or if they already shipped it off. If they still have it and is willing to 'resell' it to me, before I take it I'll give Garmin a call and see what they will do for me.:shrug:
Larry

·
Registered
65 Posts

Texas Tazman,

You went to the Bass Pro Shop in SA?

Al

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes, I did everything back a$$wards. I already returned it to Best Buy yesterday. I'll be at their door when the open later this morning and see if I can get it back or if they already shipped it off. If they still have it and is willing to 'resell' it to me, before I take it I'll give Garmin a call and see what they will do for me.:shrug:
Larry
Why not try to buy the one for $491 that you mentioned in the above post and forget about Garmin. You would get a new unit and start with a fresh 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Get your money back and check out the new Zumo 660......
Nice wide screen, but it looks like a Nuvi. Where are the buttons beside the screen? I use the buttons quite often on the my 550. And they switched to microSD cards. What would I do with my $300 worth of SDHC cards? I don't see anything motorcycle-specific about the 660 (maybe the keyboard buttons are larger for gloves, but that is just software). No thanks.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
DITTO!!!

My 550 was 5 months out of warranty and they honored it anyway. I can't say enough good things about Garmin. They are great!

I didn't realize how much I like it until I was left without my XM for two weeks and listened to the local FM noise. Man, how can someone talk so much without saying anything about music?

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why not try to buy the one for $491 that you mentioned in the above post and forget about Garmin. You would get a new unit and start with a fresh 1 year warranty.
The 450 doesn't all the bells & whistles that I like.
I did consider the 650 or 660 (or what ever) but I stopped by Best Buy this morning. They still had mine so I bought it again and called Garmin and spoke with a guy named Steve Mock.

Because I had registered it three days after I bought it they had the record of even when it was first connected to satellites. After going some troubleshooting stuff, he said he'd send me a shipping label to return the defective unit. When they receive it they'll send me a NEW unit. Ya gatta like that!

LDimick, I read your accolades about Garmin to him. He said depending on the issue, sometimes they go beyond the regular warranty period to keep a happy customer happy.
Said he was glad to help you. (Garmin was)

So I should be back in the pink soon. :yes:
Larry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts