GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 'Wing just sprang a leak in the driver's seat. It's a heated, OEM seat, and I like it just fine, but I don't like the fact that the vinyl has split along the stitching. I am really struggling to find a supplier for an OEM replacement. I don't want velour, or any other fancy stuff on it - just the same as the one that came on the bike. I see no need to buy a whole seat just for the cover, especially with the prices I found for those.

Where do you guys get your replacement seat covers from?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they not available as any other replacement part? I just ordered a new right side mirror. I figure I should be able to do the same with a seat cover.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Are they not available as any other replacement part? I just ordered a new right side mirror. I figure I should be able to do the same with a seat cover.
Not a separately serviceable part.

Find out where the local auto repair / restorer shops get their seat work done.

Motorcycle or car service department might offer suggestions.

A complete mirror can be ordered, but some individual mirror parts are not shown as separately available.

Presumably this is all related to some combination of tools and skill sets necessary for assembly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That really sucks! You'd think the seat cover would be looked at as a consumable item, like an air filter, that needs to be replaced every so often.

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Yes replacement seat covers should have been available for the GL1800 years ago but nope they have never been available, seems crazy but that’s the way it is.
Years ago I ordered a replacement stock seat for a friend simply because the foam lost all it’s spring so it was almost like there was no cushion at all, unfortunately I threw the old seat away and the cover was still in very good shape.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Maybe you can get a seat cover from companies like Russell or Corbin that completely changed the seat and throw away the original cover.
Might be worth a phone call to them.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
OEM seat covers are not available. You can have one made, but the OEM one does not have real stitches and everything else does. That means that everything other than an OEM seat can get soaked through its seems. That's why most aftermarket seat companies sell seat covers for their seats and Honda does not.

You might try posting in the Want to Buy section for a seat. Often someone has one they want to get rid of.

Also, if your seat has cracks, it is well worn ... meaning it probably does not fell as comfortable as it did when it was new. If you choose to buy a used one, find one with really low miles on it.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I bought one from this forum years ago. If your seat still looks good you can remove the cover and repair it from the inside and it will last a long time.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just had Rich of Rich's Custom Motorcycle Upholstery in Kingston, WA put pebbled black leather rider and passenger seats with blue stitching to match my FJR1300 paint job. $200 a seat. It was a Rich's seat on a Yamaha seat pan. Beautiful work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have a 2004 and have glued the stitches on mine several times. All on the drivers seat. Super Glued from around 2008 and it is still holding and looks just fine. Unless you stare at it, it is not noticeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts