GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had an encounter with cancer that has weakened one of her femurs. They radiated the bone and got rid of the cancer, but her hip area is a little stiff. Stepping up on the passenger footrest with one foot and stepping up and over to get on, won't work any more.

Riding and dismounting are no problem.

Any suggestions.

Bill T.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My when she gets on the bike she steps up on the rear floor board and sits on the seat and next I kind a help lift her right leg over the seat and then she is ready to ride. I do the same for her when it is time to get off. I also have a Kury back rest and it is folded forward laying on the gas tank cover and when she is fully seated and set the backrest back up. BTW I am off the bike and naturally the bike is on the kick stand. After she is on I then get on and set the bike up straight and off we go.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My when she gets on the bike she steps up on the rear floor board and sits on the seat and next I kind a help lift her right leg over the seat and then she is ready to ride. I do the same for her when it is time to get off. I also have a Kury back rest and it is folded forward laying on the gas tank cover and when she is fully seated and set the backrest back up. BTW I am off the bike and naturally the bike is on the kick stand. After she is on I then get on and set the bike up straight and off we go.
That's the way we do it only she makes sure I have my hand on the grips. She places her left foot on the rear floor board while facing away from the bike. When she sits down it's all the way back in her seat so there isn't much lifting to do. Then comes the comedy part when I have to lift my leg up and over the seat. My goal is not to hit the shelter. We tried it with me already on the bike with it stood up off the stand and it was all I could do to control all the movements of shifting weight. If you're on a slight incline, move the bike to a more level spot. Trying to right the bike with two people can get heavy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife has MD, which is weakening her muscles on a constant basis. When she rides with me, I have the bike on the side stand, fold the Utopia all the way forward, have her stand next to the bike on the left side, have her lean against the seat, lift her right leg over the seat, being careful not to hit the tank area with her foot, lift her left foot onto the foot board and then gently lift her up onto the back seat and help her position herself on the seat. and lastly slide the utopia back up in place and get on myself. I guess this sounds like a long and drawn out project, but it really doesn't take long at all. It took me over 2 years to get her on the bike because she would just say, "I can't get on the bike, it is too tall". I would say, you never will until we try and see what we can do, and now I can't get her off of it, at least when it gets over 70 degrees outside.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
How about a collapsible stand about six inches tall to put on the ground alongside the bike so she can step up on it and get onto the seat. Then put the stand in the trunk, ride off.

If Wheels can go from a wheelchair to the bike about as fast as I can get on one (and I am fairly healthy), then doing something for someone that is a little stiff cannot be all that tough. I know that if it was Carol, we sure would find a way - even it it was a tow-able crane.......

And if it ever come to the point where I am more worried about the paint than Carol, I surely hope someone will kick my butt.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts