GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the proper ECM reset procedure on another forum and received this response:

the ECM is a microcontroller, all microcontrollers start in reset when you turn on the key. The reset cycle is accomplished before anything else happens. What you are doing when you allow it to warm up before you move the throttle, is to develop a map of the sensors readings to adjust the fuel and air, but again this will only take nano seconds. The other reason is to allow the exhaust to reach state state temperature but as you start to move this will change anyway.

For a short answer there is no reset that the operator does on a microcontroller.

Could somebody please copy and paste the procedure from the Honda service manual (I don't have one) so I can set the record straight?

I found what I was looking for

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for something like: The service manual says "XXX" on page #... blah blah blah..... so I can set the record straight.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Lucky 777 said:
I am looking for something like: The service manual says "XXX" on page #... blah blah blah..... so I can set the record straight.
The guy is correct about some things and wrong about others. He appears to have electronic knowledge but is making unwarranted assumptions about automotive engine management systems. The manual page you posted is indeed the initialization procedure, but it's not identified as such. You'll find what you're looking for in the text of the "Product Improvement Camapign" that involved the ECM on early model GL1800s, but that won't convince this person. You're not going to win this battle, so why bother getting yourself all lathered up over it? BTW, don't even think of posting this reply over on "the other forum." I don't need to get dragged into this.

Stu O

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stu_O said:
[quote="Lucky 777":15b93cc2]I am looking for something like: The service manual says "XXX" on page #... blah blah blah..... so I can set the record straight.
The guy is correct about some things and wrong about others. He appears to have electronic knowledge but is making unwarranted assumptions about automotive engine management systems. The manual page you posted is indeed the initialization procedure, but it's not identified as such. You'll find what you're looking for in the text of the "Product Improvement Camapign" that involved the ECM on early model GL1800s, but that won't convince this person. You're not going to win this battle, so why bother getting yourself all lathered up over it? BTW, don't even think of posting this reply over on "the other forum." I don't need to get dragged into this.

Stu O[/quote:15b93cc2]

I won't drag you in to it Stu.... but thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I wish that Stu Oltman was my neighbor on one side of my house, Fred Harmon on the other, and Norm Abrams across the street. That would be so cool!

Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
You mean I "just can't put gas in it and ride it anymore?" :( :( Waaahhh

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I've heard that the older Service Manuals have a different "procedure" than later ones. Here's what the 05 manual says (page 5-106):

ECM INITIALIZATION
Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
Once normal operating temperature is achieved, allow the engine to idle, without touching the throttle, for at least 90 seconds.
Initialization is complete when the idle speed stabilizes as specified.

ENGINE IDLE SPEED: 700 ± 70 rpm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts