GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at wing ding this year in Knoxville and apparently there was someone there who had a display there that they were showing a cut rim with a mc tire cut away on it as well, then they did the same for a ct and rim. But the person who was doing the display didnt have a run flat tire on display so i was told. So now were on a mission to do our own study. But i dont have a run flat tire that i can cut up so im reaching out to my fellow darksiders who live here in Florida preferably close to Tampa that i can ride over and pick up there used dont want anymore tire for our demo. Oh and of course the demo at Wing ding showed that the mc tire was far better because of side wall,rim design blah blah blah.
Thanks in advance
Ty
PLease email me direct for faster response @ [email protected] stay tuned

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've got a Pirelli with a torn bead you can have. I'm in Daytona.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
PM Rocky, he has already done it so could send you some pics.

I saw that display. It was by the GWRRA and it was ridiculous.

It had a motto tire cutaway on a 1800 rim cutaway and a NRF cutaway on some strange shaped piece of steel. An obviously false representation.

Pissed me off, but I was there early and no one was around to argue with and I never got back to confront the a**holes.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Typical naysayer mumbo-jumbo!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I was at wing ding this year in Knoxville and apparently there was someone there who had a display there that they were showing a cut rim with a mc tire cut away on it as well, then they did the same for a ct and rim. But the person who was doing the display didnt have a run flat tire on display so i was told. So now were on a mission to do our own study. But i dont have a run flat tire that i can cut up so im reaching out to my fellow darksiders who live here in Florida preferably close to Tampa that i can ride over and pick up there used dont want anymore tire for our demo. Oh and of course the demo at Wing ding showed that the mc tire was far better because of side wall,rim design blah blah blah.
Thanks in advance
Ty
PLease email me direct for faster response @ [email protected] stay tuned

I would think any local tire shop could give one. Ask them for the 2 dollar disposal fee back, ha, ha.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been checking with the local dealers and so far Ian a day late and a doller short. But I had to go out of town for a few days so if I don't get one in my travels I'll zip over to Daytona and pick the Pirelli up from another board member from above. ( sorry I forgot there screen name) but thanks everyone.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be the one Trialsman, I wish I saw it it would have been interesting to say the least.

Thanks Rocky for the excellent pictures I'm gonna forward them to my friend who will be conducting the experiment. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
I can hack up whatever you want and ship to you. Run flats ,non,mc tires Just pay shipping and how you want them cut. I got a pile now to ceiling in shop. :nojoke:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Love those tire companies. If you can't convince people your tire is better, make something up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When they produce a MC run flat tire that has a weight load that could make it useable for the GL 1800, I still won't switch.

After hitting some heavy rain on my Wing on the interstate and riding on some loose gravel roads, it's a no brainer for me.....

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Thanks for this thread - I was in a conversation with a guy that saw the Wing Ding display...

I hate to cut up my new Dunlop ROF just to show him (and others) ...!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And with Rocky's excellent pictures of various tires it makes for an even better discussion. I'm just sorry I missed the darn display at Wing ding.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Thanks for this thread - I was in a conversation with a guy that saw the Wing Ding display...

I hate to cut up my new Dunlop ROF just to show him (and others) ...!

(WING DING") Nuff said" :roll:

Wing Ding use to be a gathering of motorcycle (RIDERS)
that was held around campgrounds & campfires. Now
Wing Ding is a bunch of (Social Club) motorcycle
(owners) that hang out at high dollar hotels & resorts
talking about riding. (which they have no clue about")

This is the kind of people your dealing with at Wing
Ding so what can you expect from them??? :shrug:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was there, it was at the rider ed table. As a Region Motor Awareness Coordinator, I'm all about being as safe as possible. I too am a darksider, simply due to common sense of safety. The display was attempting to show that the CT bead did not seat properly on a MC rim. I had a discussion about it, and simply asked if and how many failures have been documented due to the "bad bead seal". After some silence, I simply smiled, stated to each his own, and walked away. Let the facts speak for you guys, dont put down Wing Ding, or others because they chose differant, as you have. I personally love Wing Ding and meeting all the folks, etc... but I choose a CT for safety.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
. The display was attempting to show that the CT bead did not seat properly on a MC rim.
What ?? it's the same ! anybody take a pix? I would love See the "difference". I have measured bead dia. It's the same . bead hump is within .03 of an inch and largest dia of MC rim is .06 larger overall dia . I need a pix . Can somebody direct me to this dudes display or name ??

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Let the facts speak for you guys, dont put down Wing Ding, or others because they chose differant, as you have. I personally love Wing Ding and meeting all the folks, etc... but I choose a CT for safety.:thumbup:
Your correct, post edited....:thumbup: ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
What ?? it's the same ! anybody take a pix? I would love See the "difference". I have measured bead dia. It's the same . bead hump is within .03 of an inch and largest dia of MC rim is .06 larger overall dia . I need a pix . Can somebody direct me to this dudes display or name ??
Sorry I didnt take a pic,, but the only differance I could see, was the bead had an ever so slight gap toward the end ,from completely seating on the rim. They claimed that when the CT is squeezed onto the MC rim it created an angle that didnt allow the bead to seat completely. I could not see where that made any differance at all.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Sorry I didnt take a pic,, but the only differance I could see, was the bead had an ever so slight gap toward the end ,from completely seating on the rim. They claimed that when the CT is squeezed onto the MC rim it created an angle that didnt allow the bead to seat completely. I could not see where that made any differance at all.
Yea see something ain't right with what they where showing. It's the same dia , maybe there is an angle to one of the rims?Going out to shop to see now, but I doubt there is difference.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts